86 Turbo IDI Build

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I listened ..

On my phone....

More clattery metalic clackety clack than a softer chuff chuff...makes me a bit concerned...

Does it smoothen and or go away out if revved and loaded litly?

If not my concern would be possible broke vqlve spring or bent valve...but rule out the fuel issues first.

A long screw driver tip on valve cover flanges are, above each ex and intake port with ear to handle would surely tell ya lots more if it is a mechanical issue.

Ya chuff not good...make things bad boom boom go...

JMdead7.3CW....

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely change the fuel filter then.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Well guys, sorry it took me a bit to get back with y'all as I've been pulled into many different directions this past week. I got the fuel filter changed out and poured a bottle of Diesel Kleen in the tank (for what its worth) and cracked all eight injectors lines and re tightened them. Got all the air out of the fuel system and started the truck up. I couldn't see any fuel leaks around the injector or return fuel lines so that kind of rules out that issue. Of course, truck ran alright with high idle/cold advance (like in the first video) and then once up to operating temp. Shut her off, waited about 5 minutes give or take and started her back up only to be greeted with the same horrible "chuff and clack" noise. It fades if you give the truck some throttle and hold it for about 10 seconds at about 1200-1400 RPM. Let off, runs good for about 30 seconds and the noise slowly starts to progress back until its running like sh*t again. So, the true process of elimination begins id say..

With that said, I went ahead and ordered a new IP from Conestoga Diesel Injection. Went with the BULL Moose :sly. I'm now in search of a set of injectors to get me through the IP install until I can afford the set of Moose Mister Mark II Inj. that I want. (Sometime around the beginning of the new year) I will be ordering the fuel return line kit from Mel as well within a few days.

The dumb question I have for my fellow IDI brothers today is..

Is it true that I need to use "G Code" injectors being that my 6.9 is equipped with the 085 ATS kit. This reason I ask is because of what I keep reading online when I go to price inj. for the truck. I have the chance to buy 7 BB Code injectors (Not all Delphi) and yes I know I need 8 lol. They are mixed brands, this is just to get me through until I can get the new set ordered. They are used but I've been told in good condition. I will make sure to have them tested locally before they are installed into the motor to ensure I'm not replacing one issue with another. Please, can someone give me a little insight on the injectors I need to be using for this set up? Thanks guy

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad injector or 2
Idiperformance(Justin) good prices on injectors.
If you buy from Mel or Justin you don't have to worry about codes Otherwise you want bb codes.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I SHOULD ADD

You could do a 3 bu k closed loop cleaning of injectors see if it makes a difference

Look up liqua moly diesel purge here....might give you an idea or two to test and do prior to new IP arrival

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86 F250 front end (Body) conversion to 94-97 OBS. I've searched high and low for a thread on this. Can someone help me out?

Has this been done that anyone is aware of?

Thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86 F250 front end (Body) conversion to 94-97 OBS. I've searched high and low for a thread on this. Can someone help me out?

Has this been done that anyone is aware of?

Thanks

Did the same on my '86 F250 about 11 years ago. Different cowl and different mount (vertical vs horizontal) on the fenders to bottom of the cab. But otherwise, it all bolts on.

Heath

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did the same on my '86 F250 about 11 years ago. Different cowl and different mount (vertical vs horizontal) on the fenders to bottom of the cab. But otherwise, it all bolts on.

Heath

Thanks for the info man. What year model front clip did you use?

Truck looks great as well! ;)

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info man. What year model front clip did you use?

Truck looks great as well! ;)
It was a '95 F-Superduty (F450) that had a PSD. The bed is from a '97. The IDI radiator dropped right into the PSD front clip like it was made for it.

It doesn't look that nice 11 years (and winters) later. LOL

I drive that truck everyday. Just put my second Moose pump and Moose injectors on it. Man I love how she runs with a fresh Bull Moose IP and injectors. Still impressive after more than a decade.

Heath

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recommended head gasket set for when I install the studs? I'll be ordering them both tomorrow. All I've been able to find so far is Victor Reinz and Fel Pro sets. Ebay there is a few NOS OEM head gasket pairs but no other gaskets come with them. After tomorrow the only thing I will need to order is my injectors and return line kit and I will have everything I need to turn that first bolt! :rock:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86