86 Turbo IDI Build

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
86 IDI Project/Build

Hello my fellow Oilburners,

I'll be starting the build on my 86 soon and need to go ahead and get my RedHead Steering Gear Box ordered. I'd like to ask of any recommendations of reputable dealers known in the forums. I'd definitely like to give my business to someone who's known and deserves it. I'm new to the IDI world as I've just recently purchased my first diesel pickup. (86 F-250 XLT Lariat) SRW/Single Cab, 3/4 Ton. I will have pics uploaded of the truck and motor as - is within the next day or so.

Tranny needs to be rebuilt. Trucks runs and drives but you can tell it won't be long until she goes. I'm in the South Texas area.(Between Houston and San Antonio) lol "like that's not far" cookoo kinda close to Corpus Christi as well. Anyone know of any good tranny guys for my truck in these surrounding areas? Prefer to have a shift kit installed with rebuild. This truck will not be a daily driver so it can have plenty of down time throughout the build, which I'm sure it will :)

Thank you to all who can give any helpful tips and recommendations. New to the forum and glad to be here. ;Sweet

Also, I have a clip about one minute long of the engine running at idle but I'm not sure how to post a video on the forums. Searchin 

Attachments

• 20150627_162014.jpg
    20150627_162014.jpg
    1,003.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 20150627_162030.jpg
    20150627_162030.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 20150627_162056.jpg
    20150627_162056.jpg
    949.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20150627_162039.jpg
    20150627_162039.jpg
    743.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
;Really;Really
Welcome to the Forum. I don't need this kinda work done right now. but if I did, I would be looking into this place.

http://killeen.craigslist.org/ptd/5091815679.html

Thank you for the recommendation! The truck can be hauled on a trailer wherever it needs to go to be worked on so that's a plus.

Also, just went ahead and contacted RedHead directly. Waiting to hear back if the shipping for the core return is pre-payed or not. $34 bux for delivery of the new one and again for the return. Dang! ;Really If so the gear box will be paid for today and hopefully ship out asap.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have a few questions..

Anyone know of a place or person who does custom work (performance) on our IDI's in the South Texas area? I want to put some money under the hood of my truck but unfortunately don't have the time, tools or know how to do all of these upgrades myself. I'll be purchasing all of the parts myself. If anyone is interested in the work or knows of a place who specializes in such. Please PM me or reply. Questions are welcome. I'm new to the IDI world and have to start somewhere. I'm sure I'm in the right place ;Sweet

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Got the steering box in yesterday. Should have the old one out and new one installed sometime this Saturday. Work doesn't really allow me much time during the week to get down and dirty. :Whatever: I will be frequently adding updates and pics with this project along with any questions I may have while tearing into the truck and as I make progress.
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July!

You must be registered for see images attach

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm in search of a vacuum regulator valve (VRV) for my truck.
I've been to two different International parts houses, 2 different Ford dealerships and another place that handles Motorcraft and AC Delco products and have come up with nothing.
They gave me some spew at Ford that Part Number - FOTZ7B00A has been on back order for quite a while and that no dealership in the country currently has one stocked and there isnt a time frame of if or when its going to be back in the warehouse. International part number - 1801361C6 has been discontinued as well.. :dunno
Please, does anyone know where I can purchase this VRV or is anyone willing to let one go that they might have sitting on the parts shelf? I'm in a bit of a bind. Any feedback is much appreciated.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd check eBay or the marketplace here for the VRV valve.

Regarding getting your truck worked on. I might work with Promar to have them build a high performance engine you spec. Then have a local shop install it.

The other two names I think of are Conestoga diesel in PA and R&D IDI performance. Those guys can help get a motor put together for you.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd check eBay or the marketplace here for the VRV valve.

Regarding getting your truck worked on. I might work with Promar to have them build a high performance engine you spec. Then have a local shop install it.

The other two names I think of are Conestoga diesel in PA and R&D IDI performance. Those guys can help get a motor put together for you.

Thanks for the response Junk.
Ebay was my first go to after all the original trips and phone calls. I wasn't able to find anything that was in stock there. I've actually searched the Web high and low hoping I'd come across something, no luck. I went ahead and posted a thread in the Marketplace with my WTB request for the VRV after a little bit of searching. Hopefully someone will come across it and have what I'm looking for. (Fingers crossed)

I've checked out both Conestoga Diesel and R&D Performance websites. Very impressed with what Ive seen and read from others. I know Agnem is affiliated with Conestoga, I just can't remember who R&D is. :confused: My apologies but could someone help a young lad out and point the way please.

I know we all live busy lives and it takes time and patience when dealing with a novice like myself. I know I've already said it but I deeply appreciate any help and guidance any of you are willing to give. :hail I try to do as much research and browsing as I can until I start with the never ending questions here lol.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Thats an old school turbo. 085 ATS FYI. First ATS kit for a Ford IDI IIRC.

Google search R&D performance IDI, should come up with something. I would do all maintaince before looking into mods though.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats an old school turbo. 085 ATS FYI. First ATS kit for a Ford IDI IIRC.

Google search R&D performance IDI, should come up with something. I would do all maintaince before looking into mods though.

Thanks for the info Justin. It's been gnawing away at me wondering exactly what ATS turbo is installed on the truck. Now I have a starting point ;Sweet

And about R&D, sorry I wasn't quite clear with my question. Who in the forums runs and operates R&D? I actually have the website saved into my favorites already. I've been drooling on my keyboard for the past 2 weeks as I sit and fantasize about having all of those mods sitting under my hood. :D

As for the maintenance before any upgrades, I highly agree with you on the matter. She definitely needs some TLC. Plan to have the truck running good enough that if I wanted to use it as a daily driver, I could without having to second guess it or worry about reliability. Any mechanical issues will be addressed before I start on the mods. All fluids and filters from front to back changed, brakes, tie rods and alignment. Compression test, vacuum test, etc.. Anything I can think of that needs to be checked over before I start to really throw some Ben Franks into the truck.

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glow Plug Wiring Problem

Trying to get some glow plugs working in the truck. Cooled off In South TX and truck is having some issues starting now. Swapped out all eight GPs with Motorcraft/Beru's I ordered from online. Truck had AUTOLITES in it so I felt blessed when the last one came out with no problems. No swelled tips. :hail
Post connector that the PURPLE arrow is pointing to in the pic is the factory purple wire that is supposed to be connected to the GPR. It was as is when I purchased the truck. Previous owner had a mounted manual push button in the cab at some point. Wires cut. A mess, I know. She's a work in progress :dunno

Can anyone tell me where the wire I highlighted in PINK is supposed to be connected to? Is it the Glow Plug Controller (GPC)? Wire highlighted in YELLOW is the glow plug harness. ORANGE arrow is spade connector/glowplug. I DO NOT want to use the GPC in my future set up at all. I want to keep manual push button for sure. I ran a new wire to a new (replaced) manual push button in the cab from the Glow Plug Relay (Red Arrow) where the factory purple wire would normally be connected. Second post on the push button I ran to a key on accessory in the fuse block with 20 amp inline fuse. Got nothing. Where did I go wrong? Please help, I'm lost on this one.

What number Fuse position on fuse block did you use for your manual push button if running one?

How do I know if my Glow Plug Relay is toast?

To Date - is there ANY aftermarket Glow Plug Wiring Harness available for a 86 6.9 IDI? I fear my harness may be the issues if all else fails. :(

One more thing.. I see these "Manual Glow Plug Conversion Kits" for sale when ive done my searching online. Includes the manual push button with what looks like some type of solenoid/relay I'm guessing and the necessary wires for hook up. Do these systems completely do away with the factory GPC AND the GP Relay?

I'm literally looking for the simplest system here. No Wait to Start light or anything. Just push, wait (4 secs max), let off, start.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• 2015-12-07 20.43.01.jpg
    2015-12-07 20.43.01.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 2015-12-07 20.24.06.jpg
    2015-12-07 20.24.06.jpg
    368.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 2015-12-07 20.40.14.jpg
    2015-12-07 20.40.14.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 2015-12-07 20.38.52.jpg
    2015-12-07 20.38.52.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 24

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Blue arrow is your Starter Relay. I could grab a pic in the morning of where everything goes.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jump a hot wire to the terminal your push button goes to (red). You should hear the relay click, and the large terminal with wires going to glow plugs should get 12v. I think the small black wire on that side goes to the wait to start lamp. The wire going to the terminal behind the radiator hose at thermostat (pink?) is the high idle/cold advance switch wire I think. There should be two wires on the top of the IP. The rear wire is from that switch. I'll look at mine and check back.
Edit: The pink wire may have gone to the in line fuel heater. The 6.9 had a heater element on the fuel line from the fuel pump to the filter head. I don't know if they ever worked or were necessary. If pink goes to heater, then the yellow wire is the one to the cold advance switch. The fuel heater wire has a plug connection and the cold advance wire has a two slot plug into the switch.
You are going to have to hold the push button 10 or more seconds to get enough heat to cold start. You may have to repeat a second time, at least I do.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FordLTDiesel

Members online

No members online now.