8 miles per gallon

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
Just to make clear on my intents with my truck. My original intention was to build an idi that would perform as well as a newer powerplant. A number popped in my head when I was doing my original rebuild--well second rebuild, the one that Ken did--which was 325. That was the hp number that I wanted to achieve. I also wanted that to be usable as the truck was to be used as a tow vehicle for our TT. The first few tugs at stock compression with the twin turbo set up yielded 10 mpg keeping boost levels at or below 10 psi. Very good--that's what the excursion got (However the X could also pull the TT 75 mph). After blowing the head gaskets at 18 psi it was apparent that decompression was the order of the day. After all 325 is not obtainable with 10 psi boost. So off comes 2 points of compression ratio. Now keeping boost below 15 psi at 60 mph, I averaged 8.6 mpg on my first trip and 8.0 on the second. This is not good. So I have concluded that my original intent is now out the window. I will eventually buy a newer truck to pull the TT and that damn truck will have to be relegated to toy status. I guess we'll see what she can do.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Well....its not to horrible, think about it if a guy had a 6.4 powerstroke he would be getting around the same :D . Whats the weight of your TT? I would bet if you threw in an overdrive or a manual you would be back up into the double digits.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what the..:backoff

now Barney i know you realize the cost of a newer truck more than negates the 2 mpg.:yell:

but them flowersmokes do pull good. dont ask me how i know:D

btw i may be recruiting your assistance for my motor swap in the coming months.:D:angel:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
8 is not good enough, not knowing how heavy that TT ism I'm thinking probably a 94-98 12V Cummins would probably get the best fuel economy for you. Have you swapped to the T19 and 3.55 gears yet? 3.08s will get great fuel economy empty but maybe not so much towing something really heavy.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
18 PSI doesn't seem very high for twin turbos in this engine. I have a T04B turbocharger in my turbo kit, and it can max out at 10 PSI right now and have seen as high as 14 psi, but my IP is getting weak. I can't help but wonder if the turbo setup you have isn't spooling due to the large size.

Is there a gallery somewhere that we can see this turbo setup?

Your lack of a higher top gear doesn't help either. Have you advanced your timing? If so you might try and retard it slightly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Barney,
What kind of RPM's are you turning at cruising speed? The Moose Truck used to get 23 MPG on I-80 with a reasonable tail wind, running stock injectors. Those figures went in the toilet when I put the DPS injectors in. Your encouragment to convert the Moose Truck to stock in 09' will suceed in that area without any encouragement. Stock injectors will return, unless I Moosify them somehow.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Yeah, that was another question i had in my mind, was if you were still running DPS injectors and if that was the cause of the crappy mpg. If you put in some stock G or BB codes, I bet power and mpg would go up.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I yanked the dps injectors because, well because. I don't know what the rpm was but that was keeping to 60 mph.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well you would certainly be turning over 2K at cruising then. You won't see any real milage until you get down below 1800. Remember your old Excursion is the same way. We got 19 coming out to Michigan if I held it to 1800 which was if I recal about 65 MPH. If it gets up to 70 MPH, between the additional air friction and higher RPM's, the milage started to go down. The Moose Truck got that great milage because It only has to turn 1600 to run in the fast lane. You need a Gear Vendors. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online