7 Lug F250 ???

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Hey, no dissing on the Panther platform, ya know how much abuse they can take? lol

And the weird thing is that while these F250s do indeed have 7-lug wheels, there are tons of E-series vans out there that run around with similar style 7-lug wheel covers, yet they do have 8 lugs under them - now what's the logic (or lack thereof) behind that???

mabe they made soo many covers for the 7 lug wheels they had to use them somewhere else too...?

-Jon

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
well,Last year when I was having a little fun pricing a new F150 on the ford site you could STILL get the 7 lug setup.Think it is now considered a Heavy duty F150 instead of a light weight F250.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good ol 7 lug rims. I had a 1997 f250 light duty (heavy half) and the 7 lug is true and you could not find aftermarket wheels for these thing unless you wanted to pay about $300 a piece. I do not know why ford ever thought of doing this. Dumbest idea they had. But yes there is a 7 lug and I was one of the lucky ones to own this. -cuss

mr_josh

Reaction score
Okay, I've been lurking on this site for years and don't even own a diesel rig, but I just had to chime in on this.

I worked for a school district, and someone donated one of these F-250s to us. It had a 4.6, 7 lug wheels, it was an XL so it was the most basic of basic, but man, we beat the crap out of that truck and it kept coming back. It hauled everything from firewood to gravel to lumber, and while it wasn't exactly speedy gonzales, it did it a lot better than an F-150 would have. I actually... kind of wish the Super Duty would have gone with that body style. Just sayin... back to the lurk...

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
PICS!

I asked the guy if I could get pics with the wheel cover off and here's what he sent. Notice the F250 embelm on the fender too. Here are pics of the stock wheels without the wheel covers and a pic of the backside of the Weld Alloy wheels that he's selling. He's asking $250 for all 4 wheels. If somebody has one of these trucks and needs aftermarket wheels, this must be a good price since it was stated above that the wheels are about $300 each.

Attachments

• 7 Lug Stock Wheel.jpg
    7 Lug Stock Wheel.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Backside Of Weld Alloy 7 Lug.jpg
    Backside Of Weld Alloy 7 Lug.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 13

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I believe the 97-98 F250 LD morphed into the F150/ 7700lb gvwr. The tailgate emblem had 7700 written on it. And, yes, it had 7 lug wheels.
John

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
What everyone has been saying is correct. Ford made a light duty F-250 in 97 and 98 with the "triton" 1/2 ton styling while the F-350 was still the OBS. They do have a 16" 7 lug hub / rim. My dad has one of these trucks that he uses to pull his boat and for winter on-road 4x4. It is not a bad truck, it does what he needs. It does have a heavier suspension that the F-150 of that era, is does ride more like a 3/4 ton that a 1/2 ton.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
I believe the 97-98 F250 LD morphed into the F150/ 7700lb gvwr. The tailgate emblem had 7700 written on it. And, yes, it had 7 lug wheels.
John

yep, there's loads of 'em around here, lotta tradesmen use them cause they'll take a hell of alot of abuse for a half ton, and insurance would probably be cheaper in places where that kinda thing matters....Maybe they sold more of 'em in Canada than down there?

oh yeah, and also-that's easily the ugliest body style ford engineers have ever puked out.

85hauler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was working for one of the canals in Colorado we had two of the 7 lug trucks in our maintence fleet. The trucks get the snot beat out of them on the canal roads and these were as tough as any of the other trucks we had there. They were a little underpowered pulling trailers but got the job done.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad this thread came up. I never would have know about the 7 lug wheels otherwise. :dunno Whoda thunkit.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Mel... I'm with you... Things like this always seem to amaze me about these trucks. I'd really like to ask the engineers that designed our motor a few questions too.:sly

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
I've seen a few of em back home in Wisconsin, and in the month I've been down here in Pennsylvania I've seen 3 of em, theres a guy at the appartments where I stay that has one. I was actually looking at getting one as my first truck, it was a long box extended cab 4x4 5 speed with a 5.4 but I decided I wanted a diesel instead after drving my 86.

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Good luck finding spare wheels, too.

A guy I know in KC, MO bought one of these morphodites. I was supposed to come with a spare. The dealer told him it was "stored in the warehouse, to prevent theft." After 3 tries to pick it up, and an ascent through the stealership chain of command, he found out it is NOT in the warehouse.

With much less fanfare, and yelling....It boiled down to the dealership buying him a brand new $400 factory replacement rim(which they tried twice to bill him for).

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
how about the super long box F150s of the same body style?
There's a couple around here, 9' boxes.