7.3L Non Turbo and 7.3L Turbo: Any Differences in the Heads?

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any differences between 7.3L Turbo and 7.3L non-turbo considering the cylinder heads?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The only differances is the exhaust valves in the turbo head application. They are made from Inconel material and resist the added heat the turbo puts on the valves. I ran my non turbo engine for around 200,00 miles with a Banks wastegated sidewinder turbo hauling heavy and fast all over the US and Canada. Never had any issues with the non turbo rods, pistons or exhaust valves.... Even ran the non turbo oil cooler with less fins per inch cooling.... I have been told that today all we can buy is the inconel exhaust valves and the turbo oil cooler bundle. Ford and International only has to stock one part that way.... Plus its better for us to be running an upgraded part... I have been doing some research about running a 7.3 head on a 6.9 and using a head thats been milled below factory standards. So far no problems found with any of this but I continue looking for a problem. Now we all know a 6.9 head wont just bolt up to a 7.3 engine because of the head bolt size being differant. One could drill out the bolt holes in the 6.9 heads and make them work but do you really want to do all tht mchining.....:dunno

87-F-250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What advantage do you get by putting the 7.3L heads on the 6.9L motor?

Sounds like a fun project.