7.3IDI Headers

4x4manonbroke

Diesel Master
Reaction score
Where can I pick up a set of headers for my 88 F250 ... its 4x4 and has factory everything ... just want more flow .... anyone know where to get these ? need a set that will fit just like the factory manifolds , don't want to have to midify everything just to fit them in .... if possible

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The only headers that can be bought are Stan's headers. The problem with them is they seam very close to the driveshaft. Mine rub my 86's driveshaft all the time. I need to rotate the collector flange to help this

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
The first picture the suspension is not sitting normally. I have a 4" lift I plan on using to fix the shaft rub. Y exhaust is 3" off the collectors to a 3.5" y-pipe. Then to a 5" stack

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
They have had an updated version for years. these don't use the old 3 bolt collectors, they use a ball and socket type of collector. The flanges on both the headers and the piece that bolts to the headers can be rotated to clear the driveshaft. Unless they have updated the header design, the driver's side will hit the oil cooler in a couple of places. This can make a vibration at idle that you can hear in the cab and drives me nuts. You need to fit the header to the head, install a couple of bolts hand tight, and mark the header. You can then take a ball pein hammer and using the ball, slightly dent the header to clearance it. IIRC, it's only the back tube that hits and is sort of easy to mark. If you get it to clear with no gasket, it will definately clear with the gasket installed and these are very thick gaskets. Sometimes you also need to notch the top of the passenger's side frame rail for the header to fit. If you have a c6 tranny, you will also need to cut the "ear" off of the passenger's side bellhousing in order for the header to fit. Also, you won't be able to use the factory exhaust or even install the headers with the front part of it installed. It sounds like a lot of work, but this is from experience.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I doubt it's worth the money. On a low revving engine like this you woln't get much effect and the stock intake/exhaust are pretty good sized already.

The real way to improve a NA motor is a turbo. Period. Everything else is just ******* in the wind - might get a couple percent improvement, but not worth the time and effort when a full turbo will give you so much more.....

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
I got mine for $80. So I'm not that mad. LOL