7.3 swap

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
Ok so I'm looking at swapping in my 7.3 here in a bout a month because I'm getting a moose juinor and hopefully adding my turbo soon also and I know I can't do it on my 6.9 because my maxed pump is all it can handle and I go threw about 2 gallons of water a week and a gallon of oil a week so I know I'll blow it apart as soon as I get the pump on there alone. Anyway how hard is the swap. I know it's a direct bolt in but what about the wiring and also is anyone running a moose juinor without a turbo. How bad is y'all's fuel mileage

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Can you tell us how complete the 7.3 is compared to the 6.9 you will be removing. Reason for this question is the 7.3 generally has the ZD 9 glow plugs instead of the ZD1 like is found in most 6.9 engines. Also the 7.3 has a much better solid state glow plug controller too. You could but I suggest not doing it, run the 6.9 controller and glow plugs in the 7.3 if push came to shove and you really needed a running engine. If the 7.3 has the engine wire harness and controller on it then it is a plug n play swap.
There are many suggestion on how best to remove and install the engine. Lifting the engine up over the core support is a reach but doable. I have done mine several times like that. First time I did not even remove the hood. A better idea was to unbolt the hood springs and use a 2x4 to prop open the hood during removal or install. I had both batteries out and could place the 2x4 in the battery tray up to the hood. Worked well too.

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
The motor is in my 83 right now am gonna go in my 86 it did have the harness I can't remember if we cut into it or not cause the guy that did the swap for us when I was younger made everything a hack job I'll have to look at it tommorrow but I do know the 7.3 controler is not there because we couldn't get it to work and just decided to use the 6.9 style

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
. The motor is complete other then acouple things that are on my motor but it was a strong runner I'm just not sure on the harness. Can I just use my 6.9 one cause I'd rather use the 6.9 style glow plug controler out of simplicity

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle