7.3 idi vs 7.3 idit

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these trucks do NOT use tuners.....not in any sense of the way...

They can be physically tuned mind you by adjusting fuel manually or having a built IP matched injectors and adding a modified turbo.

The stock engine is good to 3-400 hp without any issue in my opinion...however getting there is the issue. The components can take it but making it...well that's another point altogether.

Ever seen a BBC or SBF? They make 500 HP easy...so our over built crank/rods and 5 main caps with 4 bolts..ya takes it hands down!

There is documented proof of 350+ hP and good torque 670 IIRC can't remember exact on a built but stock 28mm wrist pinned engine! studded of course!

Turbo or not these engines are solid !!!

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
these trucks do NOT use tuners.....not in any sense of the way...

They can be physically tuned mind you by adjusting fuel manually or having a built IP matched injectors and adding a modified turbo.

The stock engine is good to 3-400 hp without any issue in my opinion...however getting there is the issue. The components can take it but making it...well that's another point altogether.

Ever seen a BBC or SBF? They make 500 HP easy...so our over built crank/rods and 5 main caps with 4 bolts..ya takes it hands down!

There is documented proof of 350+ hP and good torque 670 IIRC can't remember exact on a built but stock 28mm wrist pinned engine! studded of course!

Turbo or not these engines are solid !!!

So you are saying with a backyard wrench monkey turning some screws they can be made to out perform a Sulzer 96 ?

PackRat239

Full Access Member
Reaction score
These engines are truck engines. Built by a truck company, IH! Not Ford. They were never intended to make big hp. According to IH,( I was born in IH country) they were never intended to have turbos, either. That was a Ford idea to sell trucks. The reason for the restricted down pipe is to keep the engines together, and still sell turbo charging to the rubes. ( and it did help power some) If you want a race car, buy something else, but if you want a TRUCK, get an IDI.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
These engines are truck engines. Built by a truck company, IH! Not Ford. They were never intended to make big hp. According to IH,( I was born in IH country) they were never intended to have turbos, either. That was a Ford idea to sell trucks. The reason for the restricted down pipe is to keep the engines together, and still sell turbo charging to the rubes. ( and it did help power some) If you want a race car, buy something else, but if you want a TRUCK, get an IDI.

It depends on what you are doing, the guys with the PS make a very valid point when they say they want to pull at speed. I'll be it a NA will go more miles with less trouble than anything but some people can use the power for their work or whatever they are doing.

Are the mods Ford did to a T model acceptable or do you need to change more?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The IDI simply has design limitations. I fully expect a long life out of my engine even though I have a turbo on a non turbo block. I have come to accept that 217hp at the rear wheels is about the limit of hp without spending a lot of coin and questioning the long term reliability.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
The IDI simply has design limitations. I fully expect a long life out of my engine even though I have a turbo on a non turbo block. I have come to accept that 217hp at the rear wheels is about the limit of hp without spending a lot of coin and questioning the long term reliability.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I like your truck, it's fitting for the Golden Goose. That is why the 93 and 94 turbo model is probably a considerably better package. The motor mods to me sound fairly extensive and some claim these block can handle 3 to 400 HP without trouble on the turbo model.

I know nothing and this is coming from a rookie so let an expert on these engines chime in.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
It's sad reading this thread and knowing that extra efforts were made by IH to make the Turbo engine a little better. Doesn't change the fact I blew mine up. cookoo

The unknown mileage 6.9 donor engine is humming along nicely though. :D

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
It's sad reading this thread and knowing that extra efforts were made by IH to make the Turbo engine a little better. Doesn't change the fact I blew mine up. cookoo

The unknown mileage 6.9 donor engine is humming along nicely though. :D

Did you buy the truck new? if not you never know what the previouse owners did to it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have built nearly 50 of these engines, mostly stock. In my opinion there is not enough need for the turbo mods to warrant the effort, I have 100k on my rebuild NA engine with ats turbo with my wheel mod, torque cam and studs, it gets worked pretty hard, no issues so far.
I will be measuring the main webs between the 2 blocks as i have one of each down right now, also the comp ratio is the same, Ford left the boost low to eliminate warranty issues, this is from the guy near me that helpd design the turbo system for ats/ford. He has some kickass ideas for a much more efficient turbo.
All the turbo engines around here that are broken, have had a spun rod, likely oil leaks caused them to get low and so on. People get used to not checking oil in cars and have no clue on diesels, they need to be checked. I have never seen a hurt wrist pin, the na ones are plenty big for most boost levels.
jm2c.
Russ

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I have built nearly 50 of these engines, mostly stock. In my opinion there is not enough need for the turbo mods to warrant the effort, I have 100k on my rebuild NA engine with ats turbo with my wheel mod, torque cam and studs, it gets worked pretty hard, no issues so far.
I will be measuring the main webs between the 2 blocks as i have one of each down right now, also the comp ratio is the same, Ford left the boost low to eliminate warranty issues, this is from the guy near me that helpd design the turbo system for ats/ford. He has some kickass ideas for a much more efficient turbo.
All the turbo engines around here that are broken, have had a spun rod, likely oil leaks caused them to get low and so on. People get used to not checking oil in cars and have no clue on diesels, they need to be checked. I have never seen a hurt wrist pin, the na ones are plenty big for most boost levels.
jm2c.
Russ

Thanks, I am interested in your knowledge. I am going to attempt to build mine to outperform the Sulzer 96, just in the area of torque of course. I only need to produce about 1000 fold more increase in this crucial area but I believe it is achievable with a pair of pliers, screwdriver and my crafty tuning skills. :D

Last edited: