7.3 idi vs 7.3 idit

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The connecting rods and wrist pins I believe on the turbos engines are a bit larger and the oil ports are bigger. Other than that, not a whole bunch.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
I am curious as to how much more power they make turned up, I read the changes and they were more extensive than that.

They are more than likely better if you are attempting more power out of a 7.3 IDI, from what I have read the motor should be a good bit stronger, one guy was claiming the T version 7.3 93 n 94 were probably one of the finest small truck motors ever put under the hood if not the best ever.

But I know nothing so you better listen to those who know! I just want to believe my truck is better than yours. LOL

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
The turbo blocks are definitely built a bit stronger but to the best of my knowledge they use the same intake, same exhaust and so on. Mel may be able to chime in on the pump specs but I think they just turned the fuel screw up a bit from the factory much like we do many years later.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There was no major changes until the 94.5 IDIT engines came out. The rod piston pin was enlarged, the rod crank bearing width was widened, the compression ratio was reduced from 22.5 to 17.5. I think I'm right, Ican will correct me if wrong, he'll chime in I'm sure.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
What I was reading lead me to believe they put a kink in the exhaust to detune it because the PS was coming out so Ford did not ruin the introduction of it.

I was reading on the IDI turbo version if you fix the exhaust and turn the turbo and fuel up it will make torque #'s on par or beyond a Sulzer RTA 96-C. That is with an exceptional tuner of course.

Needless to say a Power Stroke would not have a prayer. :D

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah but that myth is busted because the 94-97 psd trucks received the same crushed down pipes.clearly ford altered the downpipes rather than the cabs for the entire 9th gen production run with turbo engines,despite the type of engine used.it was cheaper no doubt to alter the dp's rather than cabs on the assembly line.
direct injection and computer controlled is a superior design,this is why the psd's made more power (and can be built far beyond the idi platform dollar for dollar.)

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
How do the after market companies fix the kink with their exhaust fixes ?, and what about a direct injected mechanical injection motor?

What about the Sulzer part, is that a myth to ?.

Last edited:

burt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have both. 1 truck has a promar rebuilt 7.3 idi-t with a near new banks turbo, full moose pump, fresh injectors from russ and 4" straight pipe. The other has at least 1/4 million miles on it and easily could be well into the 300's was previously na. It has the same turbo only a 20 year old one, quality rebuilt ip but from probably 6 years ago, don't know on the injectors but I know I've replaced one here and there with whatever was available and 4" straight pipe. Both 4:10 and timed around 9. I've turned the fuel up and down on both plenty. The verdict, pretty much the same power wise. Hopefully the differences stated above will make it tougher but I don't really think noticeably more power. The egts and water temp is much easier to keep under control with the idi-t engined one for whatever reason :dunno

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the factory turbo motors also have a denser water to oil cooler in them than the non-turbos

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok turbo blocks are stamped T for turbo on the top front lifter galley pad, easy to identify.
Block is supposed to have a larger front casting web I have never seen this yet, But the
Blocks are stamped with a 7.3T on the top.
Rod small end is a larger pin as well as the piston is Turbo specific, made by MAHLE and have
keystone rings and are coted on the top.

The oil cooler has more fins per square inch I have pictures of this someplace.
The front balancer is specific to turbo engines, have pics also.
The flywheel/flexplate are specific also but do interchange with N/A

The exhaust valves are Inconell material

The crank is the same as 6.9 no different from beginning to end of production.

this list is the hard parts for long block 7.3IDI turbo engines

Everything else was the same as N/A engines.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
How much HP I wonder do these mods make the T good for before she blows, one thing was I read they had better head gaskets as well.

I was reading the stock 7.3 could have issues if you added a turbo so Ford addressed these issues with the 93 n 94 updates.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online