7.3 IDI is a turbo worth it?

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info, it looks like I will be trying to find me a used turbo set up.
Contact Russ Typ4 here on the forums. He bought all the old ATS inventory and can set you up with a complete kit with fresh seals and a rebuilt Turbo or any portion of the parts that you need at a very reasonable price.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Contact Russ Typ4 here on the forums. He bought all the old ATS inventory and can set you up with a complete kit with fresh seals and a rebuilt Turbo or any portion of the parts that you need at a very reasonable price.
+1 to that! After buying mine on Ebay then having to get a new center section because the bearings were hosed, I was out $1300. Definitely worth contacting Russ and at least getting a price quote for better everything. He's great

Eddie Van Waylon

Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat. Not new to diesels, but new to putting a turbo on an idi. Also new to the forum. I recently bought an '88 wrecker. I already pulled the trigger and found a used '94 factory turbo. So it's the Garrett. It came with the comple up pipe, hot side and turbo. I already know I'll have to rebuild it. But I am having a hard time finding an intake hat. Also can I make my own crossover pipe, or should I try to find one used ( also found nowhere online yet.) I gave $200 for the used turbo with the up pipes. I hope I didn't put to much in it knowing that I'd have to rebuild it. But to his is my first venture into putting a turbo on a N/A motor.

If I should have made this my own thread please let me know as I am new. And thanks for any help or advice.

Runningaford

Reaction score
That's it right there. The difference between even a mild turbo and naturally aspirated is night and day. Put 5 to 7 lb of boost on these engines and it's a whole different animal. 12 to 15 even more so...
It's a type 4 turbo. So far all has been running well, and I regularly hit around 10 psi.

6.9 og head gaskets as far as I know and I regularly hit 10 to 12 (daily). Been that way for a year and no issues. My clutch slips and when it does it will hit 14 which is where my tial wastegate is set.

I put a Cummins in a 73 k10. Basic swap, no luxuries like ac etc. I sold it because the Cummins had a cracked block. I sold the motor with the known cracked block for $3k. Body went to the junkyard for $500. It was a 1993 ve pump. I've done a lot to my 6.9 and it is much torquier than my turned up ve pump Cummins was with fuel pin (or plate, can't remember) some timing, and a hx40. HP wise, the Cummins won and would get up and go faster. Sometimes internet reputation is just that. A p pump is a different story and would be like our trucks having come from the factory with a db4 pump.

Had a 6.0 and I won't own one again, or any new diesel unless it's free and under warranty.

Thanks for your post, your first hand comparison between the two engines, on what sounds like a level playing field is great.

It would be neat to read a compilation of people's experience with the different engine platforms built, or bought at the same amount money wise. Say a Cummins for x amount, and then an idi upgraded monetarily to that amount. I usually see Cummins with 300k on the odometer for 8 grand, and idi's for less than 3 grand. There's room for a performance build on the idi, where the Cummins might be looking at a rebuild.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Thanks for your post, your first hand comparison between the two engines, on what sounds like a level playing field is great.

It would be neat to read a compilation of people's experience with the different engine platforms built, or bought at the same amount money wise.

Is this a tease? ;Really

... because that cost/performance mindset and 10+ years of diesel dabbling is why I'm completely sold on the 6BT.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also in the same boat. Not new to diesels, but new to putting a turbo on an idi. Also new to the forum. I recently bought an '88 wrecker. I already pulled the trigger and found a used '94 factory turbo. So it's the Garrett. It came with the comple up pipe, hot side and turbo. I already know I'll have to rebuild it. But I am having a hard time finding an intake hat. Also can I make my own crossover pipe, or should I try to find one used ( also found nowhere online yet.) I gave $200 for the used turbo with the up pipes. I hope I didn't put to much in it knowing that I'd have to rebuild it. But to his is my first venture into putting a turbo on a N/A motor.

If I should have made this my own thread please let me know as I am new. And thanks for any help or advice.
Russ has had some new two piece crossover pipes made up as well. Contact them and see if he has any left

faaiish

Reaction score
Being new to this, how do I contact Russ Typ4. I tried the mail system but it says there is no one with that user name.

Runningaford

Reaction score
Is this a tease? ;Really

... because that cost/performance mindset and 10+ years of diesel dabbling is why I'm completely sold on the 6BT.

I'm seriously interested. I had Cummins when they were good, new, and not sought after, but now seeing some of the used prices, they seem cost heavy up front for something that maybe warn out.

I bought my truck for $3,500; the engine, and trans had 80k on dealer installed remans. I think the last dodge cummins I saw was around $8k, and had 300k miles on it. I guess you could run that engine for as long as it runs strong, but it seems like most want to 'do something', perhaps, 'anything' to them before throwing them in, as it's already a big investment.

So I guess what I'm interested in, isn't so much as 'engine to engine' performance comparison, but engine to engine, to cost points included. Also, not just the Cummins, but there are other conversions that I guess are starting to become more popular as well.

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this a tease? ;Really

For me, it would be a dt360 especially since Stauffers makes a zf5 adapter kit.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
'5.9 tax' is everywhere. Engines for $2k missing parts with no history are easy to find here. Spend enough time shopping, and waiting, the bottom-feeder buys do come up. They just don't last long. I've been lucky enough to pickup three runner D250s and a P-pump/nv4500/241DHD donor in ~6 years of looking. $500, $700, $1000, $1500 respectively.

That thud you heard was my jaw hitting the ground. Well done finding/waiting for those deals! Around here, 5.9s go for around $2K. Don't forget the conversion kit needed, and all the other odds & ends needed for a conversion.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I'm seriously interested. I had Cummins when they were good, new, and not sought after, but now seeing some of the used prices, they seem cost heavy up front for something that maybe warn out.

I bought my truck for $3,500; the engine, and trans had 80k on dealer installed remans. I think the last dodge cummins I saw was around $8k, and had 300k miles on it. I guess you could run that engine for as long as it runs strong, but it seems like most want to 'do something', perhaps, 'anything' to them before throwing them in, as it's already a big investment.

Longevity seems to be a strongsuit of the 6BT. My CTDs came with 325k-425k (kilometers) on the odometers that worked. I believe cummins recommends renewing piston rings at 600k? So far no engines have any major issues, and respond well to tuning and performance mods. I estimate I've doubled the power output on my W250's 325k engine (now 370k) for peanuts. My Ramcharger project's engine is getting some gaskets so it wont leak as much oil - and some tuning for more power - no rebuild.

An $8k truck isn't an engine donor. IMO, $4k is about the realistic limit... supposing its a complete running 4wd drivetrain donor... Pull off a job like this guy did...
https://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/42163-1992-f250-4x4-cummins-conversion.html

For me, it would be a dt360 especially since Stauffers makes a zf5 adapter kit.

I looked at MDT donors for many years.... same with schoolbuses. Lots of miles, high prices, big ugly hulk to get rid of, and you're trying to adapt and customize the jewelry to work in a much smaller truck. The dodge CTD is already pre-packaged right. Has a trans attached. And if you score a runner, you have an extra truck to use until you finally take it apart. Added bonus... avoiding intercoolers, p-pumps, and NV4500s saves a bunch of '5.9 tax'... and every bit as good, IMO. :cheers:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Longevity seems to be a strongsuit of the 6BT. My CTDs came with 325k-425k (kilometers) on the odometers that worked. I believe cummins recommends renewing piston rings at 600k? So far no engines have any major issues, and respond well to tuning and performance mods. I estimate I've doubled the power output on my W250's 325k engine (now 370k) for peanuts. My Ramcharger project's engine is getting some gaskets so it wont leak as much oil - and some tuning for more power - no rebuild.

An $8k truck isn't an engine donor. IMO, $4k is about the realistic limit... supposing its a complete running 4wd drivetrain donor... Pull off a job like this guy did...
https://www.dieselbombers.com/diesel-engine-conversions/42163-1992-f250-4x4-cummins-conversion.html

I looked at MDT donors for many years.... same with schoolbuses. Lots of miles, high prices, big ugly hulk to get rid of, and you're trying to adapt and customize the jewelry to work in a much smaller truck. The dodge CTD is already pre-packaged right. Has a trans attached. And if you score a runner, you have an extra truck to use until you finally take it apart. Added bonus... avoiding intercoolers, p-pumps, and NV4500s saves a bunch of '5.9 tax'... and every bit as good, IMO. :cheers:
Good stuff! What do you think you have into your fummins truck to do the swap and what numbers is it making? I have about 2 grand into the built idit in the shop truck, and it performs really well for a bunch of used parts.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelsrollin