7.3 idi in a 1970's ford truck any one does this?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Bunch of people have done it. 460 swap is more common.

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a project now. 75 F250 4 door on a 94 F250 chasis with a 7.3idit. Its not that bad.

ididieseler

Reaction score
i would put it on the 93 frame but i think the wheel base is different my worry is that the radiator and banks turbo might not fit if i use the 70's frame

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I can figure out how to put picks on forum I will post my frame mods. Get a radiator out of a 70's big bock pickup. Front core support will bolt up. Need to fabricate mounts for frame. Also radiator is the same size as the idi radiator. Stretch or shorten frame as needed if you can weld. I don't think front suspension is heavy enough on a 70's pickup for a idi.

HiHorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
The front suspension is heavy enoungh. If you don't think so you can always add an add-a-leaf. I specialize in this kind of stuff. I have been trying to clear up some customer projecst to make room for finishing one of my '75 IDI swaps. I have an extended cab going on an 86 frame, and a SCS I am putting the IDI into with custom suspension. I have to have one of them done and driving this summer. PM me if you need any help!

Olb Blue Beast

Built Ford Tough
Reaction score
I plan on doing this swap with my 77' F-350. the IDI will fit, if you plan on doing a turbo on it though, u either need a body lift or some work on the firewall to clear the downpipe. Custom motor mounts need to be made. The stock radiator from the 73'-79' can be used, as long as its the super cooling, max cooling or the extra cooling radiator. Itd be best to have both complete vehicles to do this swap.

mudduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am working on a build right now using a shortened 91' f250 frame with my 79 stepside body, 7.3 idi,2wd c6, divorced 205, rockwells and 18.4x16.1's. the thread is on here
You must be registered for see images attach