7.3 idi governor spring

tater

FARM DIESEL
Reaction score
:thumbsup:does anyone have videos of a 7.3 idi with a 6.2 gov spring in it. would like to hear one at full throttle

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
That doesn't make you nervous? How is the power curve with the new governor spring in it? What do the IP wizzes think about this "upgrade"?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll not speak for the Ip wizzes here, but I will say that bumping the governor to 3800 is considered pretty safe and anything over 4000 is asking for trouble unless you rework the engine quite a bit. Ford already bumps it 500 and 38 bumps it another 500

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I'll not speak for the Ip wizzes here, but I will say that bumping the governor to 3800 is considered pretty safe and anything over 4000 is asking for trouble unless you rework the engine quite a bit. Ford already bumps it 500 and 38 bumps it another 500

I dont see what the big deal is:dunno my 89 is 38-- with its origanl pump, im only a couple hundred rpm over, and it dont make much power at that rpm i just like the birnouts it does and the way it goes in the mud because of all the wheel speed i can have in second gear at 4500 rpm

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well, you've blown up one engine, dropped a ton of money into this one; All I can think is maybe you have expendable income and just don't care.....

Expendable is in not much of oneLOL

I know why my other engine blew, it wasnt becasue of the rpm, but there is a couple on here that wont agree to that but that because they like to blame everything on the rpm, it hydrolocked plain and simple do to to much either in the cylinder at the same time fuel was in there, it bent the rod so far that it finally snapped, it was so vapor locked that it wouldnt turn over, but i didnt know why at the time because i didnt know what ether would do to a hot engine, well i found out when i rolled it off and herd all kinds of noises then the rod snapped

1994IDI

Reaction score
:thumbsup:does anyone have videos of a 7.3 idi with a 6.2 gov spring in it. would like to hear one at full throttle

What RPM does that allow our pumps to get up to? And not to hijack, but does anyone know what the governor is on my pump. 1994 factory turbo pump. Is it 3300?

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
What RPM does that allow our pumps to get up to? And not to hijack, but does anyone know what the governor is on my pump. 1994 factory turbo pump. Is it 3300?

Put it in nuetral and stick it to the floor that will tell you the rpm:sly

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Governed RPM for the Ford pump is usually 3300 ish, all years. It can be kind of a flexible governor where you can wring out a few more RPM than that if you really try. I could even believe 3800 on a stock pump, probably a rebuild that some builder turned up mildly. The conventional wisdom is that the valves can start to float after around 4000, but you're welcome to challenge the conventional wisdom. David has done it and his engines have tolerated it at least to a point. To be safe though <3800. I think the reason most people don't push it is that power gains at that rpm tend to be pretty minimal according to dyno graphs members have published here. Recall that these engines are designed to make peak HP at around 3300 and peak torque between 1400-1800. Not to say you aren't gaining any power up there and that it doesn't feel really powerful by the seat of your pants. Also you can build an IDI to tolerate those RPM easily, it would involve upgrading the valve springs and balancing the entire rotating assembly to say 500 more rpm than you ever plan to use. But then I'm probably being overly cautious. I like my truck and I don't have money to swap engines right away. If I break it, I'm probably walking.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Governed RPM for the Ford pump is usually 3300 ish, all years. It can be kind of a flexible governor where you can wring out a few more RPM than that if you really try. I could even believe 3800 on a stock pump, probably a rebuild that some builder turned up mildly. The conventional wisdom is that the valves can start to float after around 4000, but you're welcome to challenge the conventional wisdom. David has done it and his engines have tolerated it at least to a point. To be safe though <3800. I think the reason most people don't push it is that power gains at that rpm tend to be pretty minimal according to dyno graphs members have published here. Recall that these engines are designed to make peak HP at around 3300 and peak torque between 1400-1800. Not to say you aren't gaining any power up there and that it doesn't feel really powerful by the seat of your pants. Also you can build an IDI to tolerate those RPM easily, it would involve upgrading the valve springs and balancing the entire rotating assembly to say 500 more rpm than you ever plan to use. But then I'm probably being overly cautious. I like my truck and I don't have money to swap engines right away. If I break it, I'm probably walking.

The thing is my 7.3 hasnt never had a bolt or nut turned on the engine its all origanal with almost 100,000 miles the injectprs and returnlines and Ip its all origanal never had a reason to touch it nothing ever goes wrong with it, and it will turn 3800 all day,

Now my 89 7.3 with the C-6 im not sure on the pump on it, but it will turn 3800 on a free rev but only 3500 going down the road, but my 89 with the stick shift will pull hard to 3800 in everygear with like i said factory everything;Sweet

1994IDI

Reaction score
Thanks Gary. Any idea about a 6.2 governor spring like the OP asked? Will that bring us up to around 3800?

David: No thanks.. lol but I have no doubt that is an effective method.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online