7.3 idi build

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build a truck to survive a couple Dyno runs and boom your the king of performance.

I trusted a internet drop shipper engine builder/parts seller once it didn't work out.

You are far better off dealing with Conestoga or any one of the other million competent diesel shops out there than a guy with internet fame trying to hawk parts.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
we're done bashing here people. move the *uck(sorry mods, but you get to a point were "clean" words just don't have the same effect) on all ready. to say the bickering is getting old would be a HUGE understatement. if you don't like what a person/business is doing then don't pay attention to them. it is an incredibly simple concept. if your end goal is to have said person and business fail then keep your mouth shut, the "bad" parts and crap customer service you ALL say they have will cause the business to die off faster than anything. Your talking will not accomplish a single thing in this issue.

P.S. read about all that is going on with "that guys" performance stuff and then call him an overnight sensation. He would not rely on a couple of dyno runs to justify selling a product either. it is best to actually know what your talking about before you open your mouth, rather than just regurgitate stuff you hear others says......

this is just getting plain disgusting now...

Last edited:

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are far better off dealing with Conestoga or any one of the other million competent diesel shops out there than a guy with internet fame trying to hawk parts.

Not sure why this "performance" concept is so hard for a couple of you guys to comprehend...in a thread regarding performance, there is NO other alternative to R&D...moose may have a great quality reputation here but severely lacks in the performance aspect. OP, build what you want and don't let some Internet know it alls stop you.

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we're done bashing here people. move the *uck(sorry mods, but you get to a point were "clean" words just don't have the same effect) on all ready. to say the bickering is getting old would be a HUGE understatement. if you don't like what a person/business is doing then don't pay attention to them. it is an incredibly simple concept. if your end goal is to have said person and business fail then keep your mouth shut, the "bad" parts and crap customer service you ALL say they have will cause the business to die off faster than anything. Your talking will not accomplish a single thing in this issue.

P.S. read about all that is going on with "that guys" performance stuff and then call him an overnight sensation. He would not rely on a couple of dyno runs to justify selling a product either. it is best to actually know what your talking about before you open your mouth, rather than just regurgitate stuff you hear others says......

this is just getting plain disgusting now...
I've read and not one single thing he does is special or new. Well except for installing pistons in backwards but anyway.
I suppose he has an inventory of everything he sells?
Pay him then he pays a company to drop ship?

The problem with people such as yourself that have virtually no clue is that the first sweet talker comes along with a good running motor and boom your hooked.

You should try getting his nuts off your chin.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sorry to post this but I'm lost on the posting going on here. I guess thats a better thing than to know whats going on in this post.

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've read and not one single thing he does is special or new. Well except for installing pistons in backwards but anyway.
I suppose he has an inventory of everything he sells?
Pay him then he pays a company to drop ship?

The problem with people such as yourself that have virtually no clue is that the first sweet talker comes along with a good running motor and boom your hooked.

You should try getting his nuts off your chin.

*****. Strong facts in this post. Good job man well done. Will save and read to my grandchildren

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
***!!!! Stop bickering.... Move on and get to the build. Any way what for cam do you feel is the best for this kind of build?

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear typ4 provides an awesome cam that I wish I had in my rig. 91idi has one in his n/a idi and he says it really added some noticeable torque. However, I am sure there are other performance cams out there that I don't know about.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The tp4 cam is a proven hp builder cam. Its original design was for the logging community rigs hauling heavy loads in the pacific north west. So its been around for a long time. I know of three other cams available but have no first hand experiance with them. There is one cam that a member here posted about costing $1800.00 each...:eek::rotflmao It was supposedly made about 15 miles from my home in West Covina Ca. At that price it was not worth my time to go have a look see. No cam is worth that much no matter who grinds it. I had my original cam "cleaned up" ground and al it cost me was $25.00. I think that cam is still in my engine but I don't recall. If it was not such a job to install a cam I sure would be doing the typ4 cam. As for the ******* match about the Justins. I give them the credit due for the time and energy they have done for the fold. I would buy from them if I had more information but at this time I'm not in the market for more cam or hp. Its nice to know there is a choice. As for bashing past members or present members.. I think we are bigger than that so lets agre to let it settle. We don't have to always agree with everything posted here. This thread will get closed if we keep up the name calling and th finger pointing.

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Classic OB to busy living in denial to accept reality. Same ol' douchebaggery as when i left. You guys that rag on racin are just as guilty, or more, of the **** spewing out of youre mouths as you claim of justin. As for his shop... i assume his DB4 just puts itself together and he pulls it out of his ass to "hawk it"... like hes some guy that just has someone else build parts so he can outrageously overprice them and rip off the dummies who are gullible enough to the buy them....

OP, swing on by FTE sometime, where adults act like adults.

My hip waders arent tall enough for OB

Ban this ****, save me the effort.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey guys i was thinking about doing a mild build on my idi this summer, and i think im gonna run all of R&D IDI performance parts but the problem is i dont have the money to buy it all right now. i was thinking while i had the engine out putting head studs in it i could put the intake and cam, would the stage 1 cam run good in my idi without a turbo until i get one? and do i have to pull the engine to put head studs in? also about the turbo how have you guys run your down pipes?? because i have like 2 inches inbetween my engine and firewall..... cookoo :hail
I' ve been involved in building performance gasser V8 big blocks for over 20 years. There's much that is learned from gassers that can be used in the diesel world. Much of it has nothing to do with the different fuels but if you want to honestly attain your goals.
1) If you are working on on a shoestring budget, STOP AND SAVE UP MORE MONEY. You will have the time to do research plus they more money you save up, the more choices you will eventually have.
2) If you are making your daily driver a performance test bed, STOP AND BUY A BEATER. There is nothing worse than not being able to get to school or work because your build is not going the way you planned. There will always be a unforeseen problem cropping up.
3) If you think you can beat the guys who have invested their capital and lives into building vehicles by working with Autozone hand tools on a dirt patch beside your parents garage, you are only kidding yourself. The only people who can kid themselves are the writers for the big magazines because they have to produce some form of vomit or they won't eat tomorrow.

Here's my suggestion on what you should really do.
1) get a pyro and a oil temp gauge. Here's why. You won't win races with either but you will go home. The pyro will tell you if you are going to burn down your motor and the oil temp gauge will tell you if you have cooling system failure.
2) read up on the archives in this forum. you will learn reams of collective experience but more importantly, the character of the person who is posting the info.
3) Save your money, save your money, save your money. These trucks require little maintenance in stock form if it is previously maintained.
If you need help in saving money find a elder who is good with money and open a joint account with them, so you can develop the proper discipline.
4) Do not do major internal motor work without a large bankroll. The 7.3 IDI does not need studs or a cam initially, but will greatly benefit from a turbo and a intercooler before you can realize the benefit of studs and cam.
5) There is nothing shameful taking small steps for a build up. There is nothing worse than a scattered motor because you didn't take the time to do all the little things that makes these motors live a long time.
6) In my book, here's is the order of procession you might want to follow......
first- gauges to keep your motor alive so you can go home or fix before catastrophic disaster.
second- prepackaged turbo kit. wastegated or not. new or used will be determined by how much you saved and the terrain you drive in.
third- modified injection pump
fourth- intercooler. it's a cheap power adder for the real world. all the OEM's are running them for a reason. real life is more than one sled pull at a time.
fifth- spare motor. if you blow up the spare, the primary will keep you on the road.
sixth- with the spare motor, you now will have the freedom to do the internal mods. studs, head gaskets, zero gap rings, de-burring and chamfering, glyptol, cam and lifters. Besides, all the above parts can be transferred over. besides, it's a real ***** to pull and install a head on these motors in the truck to begin with, adding studs will make the job nearly impossible. pulling the motor if the heads have to come off is the only option if you want to do things right.
seven- modified turbo. depending on the initial kit you choose, the castings and piping will make the choices for bigger turbos easier
eight- extreme modified injection pump
nine- exotic gas injection system.

All the above require wads of cash and more importantly time comittment in the span of YEARS. The more research you do today will pay off in spades tomorrow.
Yes, if you do your research, you will find I am not a big advocate of high HP mods without extensive saving and planning.
Why? I was that stupid gearhead kid in HS working on a piece of **** building a dream in the back parking lot behind the auto shop. I can't tell you how many times I had to take a shortcut or thrown together a compromise due to the lack of money, facilities, and time. I can also tell you the heartbreak of vandalism when I come to school monday morning to see my hard work all weekend be completely beaten in by baseball bats and whatever else. It sucks.
There's alot of testosterone fueled chest-beating and verbal brawls here due to "who's got the biggest HP truck?" But every single one will come and go. There's a very silent majority of people here who just want to keep their truck running, but will save up for the turbo kit and pump......eventually. Hell, the biggest member participation in buying injection pumps had nothing to do with Moose pumps or Justin's pumps. It was the boring, dried out, half-assed rebuilt U-Haul pumps that was getting blown out for $175. Why? Most of the members here have other more important things to spend money on in life. In everyone's eyes(including mime), that dried-out Uhaul pump with a new set of injectors, restored a little fuel economy and maybe a little performance to a greater majority of trucks than either one of those two builders pumps ever will. Those people you will build a strong bond with should you choose to stick around.
In life, everything has a reason and purpose. You will learn it in time. Learn from others mistakes. It will cost you less in more ways than one.

rant off.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Classic OB to busy living in denial to accept reality. Same ol' douchebaggery as when i left. You guys that rag on racin are just as guilty, or more, of the **** spewing out of youre mouths as you claim of justin. As for his shop... i assume his DB4 just puts itself together and he pulls it out of his ass to "hawk it"... like hes some guy that just has someone else build parts so he can outrageously overprice them and rip off the dummies who are gullible enough to the buy them....

OP, swing on by FTE sometime, where adults act like adults.

My hip waders arent tall enough for OB

Ban this ****, save me the effort.

If OB sucks and you can't stand it, why the hell would you come back to stir the ****? Grow up, pull your thong out of your ass, and ****.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance