7.3 idi build

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
OP, swing on by FTE sometime, where adults act like adults.
Uhm, yeah...ok That being said, the original poster asked about the product line, anyone here have personal experience with said products feel free to offer their opinion, otherwise the attacks on one company or the other need to stop. I don't have a preference for either, but many here have hands on experience with Moose products and have had good luck with them. Hopefully in the future some will have same experience with other products and can post their experience, both positive and negative and be adult about it. If you are posting from your easy chair because a friend of a friend of your second cousin has one and has had great luck with it, probably best to just wait until you have one on your truck and can talk with more experience. Personally, I fall into the category of wanting my truck to be dependable, the same as most here as noted by Towcat. For those of you wanting to push the envelope, I enjoy reading about your trials and tribulations, but the arguing needs to come to an end...I think I get along better with my ex (read the divorce thread) than many of you guys here who share a common interest...settle down, post what you KNOW...not what you assume or what hasn't been proven and make this a better place for us all...soapbox off!

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thank you Scott!!!!! and that is exactly why i stay neutral when it comes to Moose products, i have never used them therfore no PERSONAL experience.

OP, and the rest of OBN....i currently am running a 90cc db2 IP from R&D, it is not putting out what it should. i have been talking a lot with Justin on the issue. he is sending me his ferret and timing light to dial in the timing. we will get the timing squared away and a couple other things to tweak on the IP. if if still doesn't perform he is going to send me a new IP. once i get more info on my issue i will update my e-fuel conversion thread as i have more about the IP in there. i should be able to make an update by the end of next week or early the following weak.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
im not sure, i found a 95 turbo on ebay 4 200 bucks but i dont know if its worth it but i looked at rockys build and it turned out really nicely
How are your fab skills? If you are above average, go for it! Only one requirement, you post back as you go...I'm sure others will be interested, and if you post pictures, well...you'll become famous or infamous! lol

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
thinking about it more...for $200 i think i would go for it. the fab work for the up-pipes would not be a waste if the PSD turbo didn't work out for what ever reason. i think the psd uses a wonky exhaust flange but don't hold me to that. but getting a new flange is not a big deal, and changing up the oil feed and return lines would not be that much work if you go from the psd turbo to something else. and yes, his set-up turned out pretty nice.

prepowerstroke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i talked to my dad about it because it would be his garage i would be using and he told me if i was going to "experiment" with different turbos and pumps and injectors then i need to get another engine so when i blow that one up i will have another engine to put back in the truck to drive to school. i was talking to my couzin and he has a 1992 7.3 idi ,just the engine, for 300 bucks so im thinking about buying it and "experimenting" (as my dad put it) with it.

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Having an extra engine just in case you scatter the daily driver engine is the best idea here. Not many bolts are holding the engine in the truck. 6 bellhousing bolts. 4 motor mounts and 4 exhaust bolts. Yes there are a few more but those are the big ones.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having an extra engine just in case you scatter the daily driver engine is the best idea here. Not many bolts are holding the engine in the truck. 6 bellhousing bolts. 4 motor mounts and 4 exhaust bolts. Yes there are a few more but those are the big ones.
you forgot to mention the weight of the motor is an easy 1100 lbs. most gassers top out at 800 lbs. be sure you have a very good engine hoist to do the job.

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
Your dad has the best idea there in my opinion, If you need the truck everyday then get a spare engine and piece it together as finances allow. make sure you check out the internals of the engine, in my opinion there is no sense in spending a lot of money on something that will send a rod flying in a few months. The most important piece of information I can give is that of towcats. Save up some money and do not cut corners be thorough and research your actions and decisions.