7.3 idi build

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
im planing to build a compreshion dropped 7.3 im woundering if any one has removed the pre cumbustion chambers from there heads to try to improve how the fuel burns or if any one makes a direct injection head for the 7.3idi im running a 7.3 with a banks sidewinder on it and the wast gate modded so it getss almost 20 psi of boost and iv got no power cnt pull a 4500 pound trailer and 3 horses up a hill in any thing hier than second gear trying to stick with the idi bc ever truck i owne has one in it and no one around me with a idi has a complaint about there's any ideas how to get more power from a stock moter

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No kits for direct injection. As far as that much wieght I have a non gated 088 ats kit makin 10 psi maxed pump an pull the same load at 50 in 3rd at the lowest or 65 in 4th with 4:10's -an 285 r16. I think somthings not up to par you should be able to pull 10k an hold my speed. Yes there are ways to make more power but it's a matter of what u want.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although lowering compression will give you the ability to increase the turbo boost, it may cause starting issues when the engine is cold. As far as taking out the precups....don't think that is possible with these engines. These engines depend on the precup to help combust diesel fuel in the chamber. These injectors do not have the capabilities of providing direct injection for these engines (low psi injectors typically means poor fuel atomization....which means they are unable to be directly places in the combustion chamber).

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
im not intercooled yet building a truck for a friend right now so no time to fab up all the lines and mounts and all that but im on the second moter in the first had horibull blow by when i got the truck but that was no big deal i dident know any thing bout the idis when i got the truck iv ran 410 gears iv ran 354s no change really iv run stock tires run way under sized tires i think it woulld pull the hills i have ishues with fine if i was roleing not turning onto the hill from almost a dead stop just cant get the turbo spooled back up when i go for third gear

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
im woundering if any one has removed the pre cumbustion chambers from there heads to try to improve how the fuel burns or if any one makes a direct injection head for the 7.3idi

at that point you might as well just buy a 7.3L PSD or a cummins.

NMB2 has dropped compression and starts his engine just fine with ONE battery.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
i wish i had a cheep local place to put the truck on a dyno i would run it as is change every thing and run it again 5 hp gain aint nothing truck runs clean step on it smokes till 6 psi of boost then its clean after that pump timeing has been played with till it pulled the best up the hill i gotta go up to get home new lift pump cause my electic pump died a wile back still sounds like it works just dident pump fuel one day its still in the line but im not starving for fuel bc the fuel filter light would come on if that was the case

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
the delphi part number on my new injectors is 6760301 i beleave ther bb injectors
i have a 93 idi with maiior ishues and the injectors are leally loud the 1990 moter im running ther silent ... dont get mad the moter has i would guess a 15 percent increase in power running 50 percent wast oil and 50 diesel thus why i have new stuff on hand

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum. Now about your gutless engine not being able to pull a lite load. Seems to be an issue with worn out injecters and an injection pump. Clearly any fuel parts with 180,000 miles on them are long past useable. Now a new set of Bb injecters and pump are what you need plus... Get it timed to 9.5 degrees fefore top dead center by the pulse method of timing. Whatever you do make sure the person that removes the pump from the engine does not remove the pump still connected to the gear and cover. No matter what you may have read on utube. Thats not the way to do the job. There is no way to truely see the gear timing marks when it goes back togehter. We have helped countless members fix this and its not an easy fix either so please talk before you do anything. Now about the 20 lbs of boost. Anything over 13 or 14 is wasted because the air going intthe engine is now well over 300 degrees. The turbo heats up the air as it compresses itplus the turbo is way out of its map at 20 lbs. An intercooler will help but its best to modify the turbo to make cool boost up there. If you feel your getting better hp running waste oil its probably because the injection pump is well worn out. The increased viscosity of the waste oil and diesel makes the pump put out more fuel. As these pumps wear out the clearances increase. Then they can't push the fuel to the injecters. Its really simple science working here. I can pull heavy at 16,000 lbs combined gross and still do it fast without issues.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If your pump has 180,000 miles on it ... Its well worn and most defeniantly not making enough fuel to power your truck plus... They loose timing when they wear out. No matter how well you feel the turck runs.. Installing a fresh... Well rebuilt injection pump and new Bb code injecter will wake up your rig. Getting it timed helps way more than you will believe too. This information comes to you after many years of testing and buying parts. The work and money has already been done for you.... Believe it or don't. I'm not in a habit of pushing wrong information to others. Many here on this site will stand up to that too. All of us learn every day from others here. There are no experts on this forum either... I look at it this way... The Tiatanic was built by experts and the Ark was built by an amature carpenter.