7.3 idi build

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
iv instaled a new pump and injectors in a diffrent moter made no diffrence i beleave it will make a diffrence if i have a custum pump built and and injectors built but i live in new york ther is only one place that does that kinda work i would rather rebuild the stuff my self in a bucket of diesel if i could get the parts

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well... I clearly understand now.... Getting your hands on the pump parts is no problem but... Getting your hands on the machine to claibrate the pump you build is going to cost well over $35,000.00... And for a well used machine at that.. I can suggest that you call Ken at DPS. He buildspumps. I think hes right up your alley. Sorry I can't be of more help to you....

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
its just the way my trucks go idk iv been workin on the truck for a long time money to power out put a cummins swap will cost me less than buying a new turbo trying to avoid the cummins swap il put all the new parts on thursday and see what it does and il see if i can find some shop with the equiptment to set the timeing not holding my breath tho it runs good starts good just cant regain boost and runs a littell hotter than i would like egts are fine tho just engin tmp gets hot pullling a load at 20 mph up a half mile long hill any one know of ats turbo that fits the banks mount ?

Blsford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one long sentence, man. . . I'd like to help, but I almost passed out trying to read all of your posts without breathing.

89greendiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its just the way my trucks go idk iv been workin on the truck for a long time money to power out put a cummins swap will cost me less than buying a new turbo trying to avoid the cummins swap il put all the new parts on thursday and see what it does and il see if i can find some shop with the equiptment to set the timeing not holding my breath tho it runs good starts good just cant regain boost and runs a littell hotter than i would like egts are fine tho just engin tmp gets hot pullling a load at 20 mph up a half mile long hill any one know of ats turbo that fits the banks mount ?

yup, that sure is a gem of a run on sentence. i dig it.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im planing to build a compreshion dropped 7.3 im woundering if any one has removed the pre cumbustion chambers from there heads to try to improve how the fuel burns or if any one makes a direct injection head for the 7.3idi im running a 7.3 with a banks sidewinder on it and the wast gate modded so it getss almost 20 psi of boost and iv got no power cnt pull a 4500 pound trailer and 3 horses up a hill in any thing hier than second gear trying to stick with the idi bc ever truck i owne has one in it and no one around me with a idi has a complaint about there's any ideas how to get more power from a stock moter

im not intercooled yet building a truck for a friend right now so no time to fab up all the lines and mounts and all that but im on the second moter in the first had horibull blow by when i got the truck but that was no big deal i dident know any thing bout the idis when i got the truck iv ran 410 gears iv ran 354s no change really iv run stock tires run way under sized tires i think it woulld pull the hills i have ishues with fine if i was roleing not turning onto the hill from almost a dead stop just cant get the turbo spooled back up when i go for third gear

i wish i had a cheep local place to put the truck on a dyno i would run it as is change every thing and run it again 5 hp gain aint nothing truck runs clean step on it smokes till 6 psi of boost then its clean after that pump timeing has been played with till it pulled the best up the hill i gotta go up to get home new lift pump cause my electic pump died a wile back still sounds like it works just dident pump fuel one day its still in the line but im not starving for fuel bc the fuel filter light would come on if that was the case

iv instaled a new pump and injectors in a diffrent moter made no diffrence i beleave it will make a diffrence if i have a custum pump built and and injectors built but i live in new york ther is only one place that does that kinda work i would rather rebuild the stuff my self in a bucket of diesel if i could get the parts

Periods, commas, grammar, spelling, context fail.

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Hey, all. Hoping we can cease the flaming and help this fellow Ford IDI lover with his mechanical issues.

I rarely speak up in this way, but now's one of those moments......

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
any cheep power tips is really all i need the ip it turned up if i remember 4 flats the exhaust is basicly just the down pipe witch leaks and goes to 3.5 inch to behind the cab and out the side in front of the tire. egts stay at resonabull 1100 preturbo foot to flore with load on going up hill for a half mile i just dont know what to do with it any more thought about feeding it some propain havent tryed that yet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
any cheep power tips is really all i need the ip it turned up if i remember 4 flats the exhaust is basicly just the down pipe witch leaks and goes to 3.5 inch to behind the cab and out the side in front of the tire. egts stay at resonabull 1100 preturbo foot to flore with load on going up hill for a half mile i just dont know what to do with it any more thought about feeding it some propain havent tryed that yet
if you take a moment and read up the "tech articles", you will find some very thorough instructions on turning up the pump. As far as mounting a different turbo to where you Banks previously resided, check out the guys over at PSN. couple of them over there are running numbers you are looking for.
good luck.

Hardass559

89 7.3 banks turbo
Reaction score
i got anouther question i got a 93 7.3 when i got it it would not turn all the way over hit it with the starter backed all the way up till it stoped going the outher way and slam to a stop left it sit since i had no time to mess with it for a week or so went back to it it started right up not really a big deal im pulling the moter bc i dont trust it but what do you think would cause this problem