6637 Air filter project

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Thought I would update this thread and let you guys know I'm still working on it!

Couple of teaser fitment pics (slides in perfect btw), fabrication to come... Trying to decide if I should run with some PVC for now just to get it done and over with...

You must be registered for see images attach

Oh and ignore my gritty AC lines... a leak has showed up that I have yet to deal with.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Tiny update on top of the teaser pics. I was browsing through some pictures I had and found one from an old ebay ad that is pretty close to what I am shooting for...minus the K&N filter.

What the finished product may look like if I decide to run with PVC (really leaning toward it):

A little more "clunky" than a metal version, but this way I can grab parts off the shelf from the plumbing store rather than waiting a week for mandrel bent pieces to show up. Let me know what you guys think, I'm off to work.
-Dave

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did your battery end up? I moved the recover tank and washer fluid bottles. That seemed easier, and I didn't have to buy any copper.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
it looks great:D
i need to get off my but and do mine

Thanks! And yeah, you should. LOL The filter alone apparently can flow 3x the CFM over the stock filter setup.

Where did your battery end up? I moved the recover tank and washer fluid bottles. That seemed easier, and I didn't have to buy any copper.

All I bought were 4 new cable ends and I think I spent about 3 hours in the shop to relocate both batteries to the passenger side. Oh and a few pieces of scrap iron I had on hand.

What lead to this project was the discovery that both of my positive cable ends had rotted out...but upon inspection the rest of the cables were fine. So, instead of buying all new cable (couldn't find the ends to buy separately), I trimmed off the rot and put new cable ends on. Built some top connectors to link the batteries and built a pan/strap to hold them. Turned out pretty well with no issues in a year, but I kept the old battery trays just in case.

Pics:

Fits two group 65's side by side with room to spare along the edges for the factory harness. I really need to clean those ends though and re-apply my coating to keep them from corroding. I've been caught up in too many projects lately! LOL

Last edited:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
gee i really need to
maybe after i fix my boost leak..gee 4psi

You are having problems with boost leaks too? That is about the same pressure I was running before working on this project. I think I have the intake hat sealed up now, but I still don't know for sure. Hopefully the half tube of RTV I used does the trick!
The only other place I can think of for leaks would be the CDR block off. I reworked it once already, but if my boost doesn't improve after this, I'm going to tear into it again. This time I will use the other half of the RTV tube. LOL

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Well fellas, after a long weekend, the 6637 project has finally reached completion. Turned out pretty well for the whole $50 I have into it (filter included). Lots of time test fitting and trimming down my PVC pieces though. Also had a chance to put a better bushing in my CDR block off and RTV the hell out of the intake hat. Hopefully it works this time!

At first I bought a 4 to 3 reducer to fit the filter and bought my 90* and two 45* fittings that would fit the 3ft section of 3" PVC I had.
When I went to slide on my reducer, I realized since I had drain pipe PVC, the reducer was WAY too large! Tossing that aside, I figured I would slip in the 90* elbow to see how far off I was...it fit perfectly without a reducer to the filter at all. Good deal, just threw on a hose clamp and started fitting the rest of the pipe.
My FINAL fitment resulted in my 3ft section cut down into 4", 12" and finally 5" sections routing from the turbo out to the filter. With some grease I managed to get the rubber 90* elbow on the turbo boot to slip over the pipe, but it was flared out pretty badly. Took that 4" section over to the grinder and notched about an inch in for a better fit without the flare.

After that, it was simply getting the right angles to miss injector lines and the power steering pump while still allowing enough room to slide the 90* fitting out of the filter to be able to service it. Made a simple bolt-strap that fastens to the mount for the old battery tray to keep the filter from rolling around as well.

Finally got everything where I wanted it, slipped the old pair of my wife's ***** hose over the filter and bolted it all down. I also put some black RTV around the joints to make sure everything is air tight.

Picture time!

I have to say, everything looks GOOD so far! I did a couple of water tests with the filter wrapped in trash bags and didn't notice any leaks getting inside the fender. I'll have to see what happens in real world situations though and report back.
My test drive tonight revealed about 100* cooler EGTs and a bit more turbo whistle. Snappier throttle too!

Thanks guys for keeping up with me on this project and I hope the few of you that contacted me will consider doing this too!

-Dave

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Oh and there were a few other related things that go along with this project that don't really concern the filter that much, but are worth noting.

I finally got pissed off enough at that cheap plastic line to cut it ALL out! Oil pressure gauge and boost gauge both got clipped and thrown the hell out. Tired of fighting those leaky cheap pieces of JUNK!

In my first picture here, you will note two high PSI hydraulic hoses. The smaller one on the right goes back into the cab for the gauge. I didn't want to keep screwing around with it anymore!
I also routed some fuel hose with barb fittings for my boost gauge. Had to trim the barb inside the cab just a little to get it to fit and rotate it slightly. Looks fine though.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
looks sweeett;Sweet
besides lower egts did you notice any diffrence in boost?
think thats my next project now:rolleyes:

I haven't taken it out to the highway yet, just around my country road to check for leaks and get an idea of what the temp averages were. I'll get some boost numbers tomorrow and see if that CDR bushing I put in solved that leak.

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
keep us posted then dave:D
i finally got some money so first thing on my list is replace the intercooler boot and then air filter project:D

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
keep us posted then dave:D
i finally got some money so first thing on my list is replace the intercooler boot and then air filter project:D

I'm a day late and a dollar short, but I have some good news to report. I finally got out on the highway today and my boost is actually quite a bit higher than before.

Before, I couldn't get any higher than about 4psi at most. Today, out on the highway, I was running up to about 10psi! A nice increase for sure...but now my up pipe leak has crept back up on me. :mad: Its only a slight leak, but you can smell it in the cab when you are climbing a steep hill. That might also account for a little boost pressure loss too.

My EGTs cruising at 65mph level out at about 500*F now, even with my leak. In fact, I have much less black smoke now at WOT with EGTs barely reaching 900*F. I think that is ideal for now running empty, but I could turn it up a little more if I wanted to. ;Sweet

EDIT: Forgot to also mention that all of my highway driving was in the rain today. I did notice a wet spot underneath the filter when I got home, but the filter is still nice and dry.