6637 Air filter project

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Now that we are starting to get out of our cold snap in my area, I have put my Napa 6637 air filter on order. Before I get started though, I've got a couple of questions that I need to ask.

The plan is to utilize the 3" sized 90* rubber elbow I purchased from Hypermax right off the turbo. Run a 3" to 4" adapter right off the elbow followed by 4" tubing to the filter in the fender well on the driver's side.

What do you guys think? Would it be simpler to just run 3" piping all the way? I'm thinking 3" piping might not give me enough airflow? :dunno

Now the other reason I'm thinking to keep the 3" sized 90* elbow is because the turbo inlet is slightly smaller than 3" and I'm not sure I could get an elbow to fit that would expand to the 4" I need to run to the filter. Of course if I just decide to run 3" then this wouldn't be an issue.

This design I have in mind also calls for a slight bend to run from the engine to the fender. Could I possibly use the flexible plastic hose that runs from the stock air cleaner to the old pancake inlet? Seems durable enough, but I can't afford any leaks...

Thoughts?

Also, here is a pic of the area I'm working in. My measurements show enough room to run the 6637 filter. Just the fun part of getting there! LOL The stock air cleaner is just set back on for reference.

You must be registered for see images attach

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
The plan is to utilize the 3" sized 90* rubber elbow I purchased from Hypermax right off the turbo. Run a 3" to 4" adapter right off the elbow followed by 4" tubing to the filter in the fender well on the driver's side.

What do you guys think? Would it be simpler to just run 3" piping all the way? I'm thinking 3" piping might not give me enough airflow? :dunno

I personally wouldn't waste my time on the 4", because regardless, you are restricting back down to 3" anyway, so that choke point keeps you only flowing as much air as the 3" can handle

just my 2 pennies......

sounding good though, will be looking forward to seeing it :music:

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but a propper 3 in to 4 in setup will give a velocity cone effect allowing the engine to draw more

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm running short ram air with 4" down to 3 and she's doing great. Next upgrade is cold air ram with 6637 and cover after alll else is fixed

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is fairly interesting to me as I'm preparing to start running a 6637 or maybe a Donaldson filter, and I'm also taking a fluid mechanics course (air is fluid btw). From what I can tell you're not going to have any significant gains in going 4" most of the way to the turbo, I would just do 3 so as not to have as big of a pipe in the engine bay in my way. Unless you're planning to try to make some really serious power I don't think you're engine will notice 3" vs 4".

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
he has to run 4" somewhere to fit the filter.you can run 3" to a 4"adapter at the filter but itll look hacked.

any picture of under the hood with the air cleaner off?wondering if you could use the intake boot off a psd.it come off the turbo 3" i think and goes right to 4"

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wheres your second battery at? I was going to relocate my washer fluid and overflow tank and put the filter there.

me or him?my air filter sits right behind my drivers side battery where my stock air filter was.but IIRC you guys dont have anything behind the passngers side battery on the 91-older trucks

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the replies guys! As far as wanting to run the 4" most of the way, 88beast is dead on. I thought since I would have the reducer right before the 90* bend to the turbo, it would be worth the benefit. But, on the other hand, perhaps you guys are right about the restriction at that choke point limiting the airflow... I need to look into it a bit more. Also need to see if I can possibly find a PSD intake tube. Wasn't there a replacement kit available from Ford for the PSD intake tube?

Wheres your second battery at? I was going to relocate my washer fluid and overflow tank and put the filter there.

I actually have seen quite a few setups that relocated the washer fluid/overflow tank (mostly PSDs). BUT to me it seems to restrict the filter to taking in heat from the engine bay most of the time (other than at speed). I wanted to get my filter as close to the front of the truck as possible. Hopefully close enough to siphon air from the stock 6.9 snorkel location to feed this huge filter.
As 94f450sd pointed out, there is hardly anything behind the passenger side battery besides the vacuum sensor and voltage regulator. This enabled me to make a new tray and relocate both batteries to the passenger side.

Here are some pics:

Seems to work really well so far! Certainly less cable to run, but only enough room for group 65s unfortunately.
The vacuum sensor and voltage regulator are relocated vertically behind the battery tray. Going to ditch the external VR when I have a chance to hit the scrap yard for the 3G alternator mod in the future. ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
he has to run 4" somewhere to fit the filter.you can run 3" to a 4"adapter at the filter but itll look hacked.

any picture of under the hood with the air cleaner off?wondering if you could use the intake boot off a psd.it come off the turbo 3" i think and goes right to 4"

Absolutely right, have to adapt it somewhere for the filter. Either at the filter itself or right before the turbo... Unless I can remember where to get that PSD intake boot kit. I swear I read about one somewhere...

I'll try to get some pictures without the air cleaner when it stops snowing. Curse the sudden weather change! -cuss

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ram air provides preboosting at speed, cold air allowing for more air.

If one doesn't use ram air then 4" probably aint so important. Either way mine works great, I used the elbow from my banks box and stretched it on

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely right, have to adapt it somewhere for the filter. Either at the filter itself or right before the turbo... Unless I can remember where to get that PSD intake boot kit. I swear I read about one somewhere...

I'll try to get some pictures without the air cleaner when it stops snowing. Curse the sudden weather change! -cuss

yes there is an updated one.can get it from ford.for 94-03 psd.its 50 bux.and if you want the part number youre in luck,i found the receipt for the one on my truck yesterday and can give the part number tomorrow when i get home.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
yes there is an updated one.can get it from ford.for 94-03 psd.its 50 bux.and if you want the part number youre in luck,i found the receipt for the one on my truck yesterday and can give the part number tomorrow when i get home.

Awesome! Thanks in advance, I couldn't locate the stock one (even the part number) for the life of me online. The only thing I could get was the aftermarket 6637 kits for the PSD.

One less thing to scavenge for at the scrapyard. ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online