6637 Air filter project

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and DO NOT run the NAPA filter. If/when it gets wet it will crumble and crush its self. It is NOT designed to get wet, and at the edge of the hood, it will

Get the same basic filter made by donaldson. But the donaldson filter is designed to get wet. It is the filter that comes in the TYMAR kits for powerstrokes.

part #B085011

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Sorry that I haven't updated this thread in about a month. I started a side-thread with details about a few things that have been slowing me down:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48312

Still pushing high EGTs and low boost. Gonna fix that before I move back to the filter project. My plan is to work on it this week during some downtime from our rainy weather. Finally got things out of the garage to get the truck in. ;Sweet

Also, thanks for the thoughts on the filters. I've spent some time reading up and I might have found the Tymar style filter... Will keep ya posted.

Last edited:

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
Correct. Donaldson makes alot of filters for napa, so does wix. But the 6637 is not water resistant

The Wix 42326 is the waterproof version that I believe is made by Donaldson. $$$$ Best price I could find was here: http://discountfleetsupply.com/wix42326.html

Even RockAuto wanted $75 for it!

BTW- What kind of change interval would you be looking at on an IDI with one of these monster filters?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a filter screen cover they last a long while. Think I'll upgrade to this water proof version with a screen myself

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
With a filter screen cover they last a long while. Think I'll upgrade to this water proof version with a screen myself

After quite a bit of reading about the versions of this filter, I've come to discover they aren't actually "water proof" so much as more "water resistant".

Interesting read:
http://powerstrokenation.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1292884

Not sure I buy into the "Tymar" end of that thread, but to each his own. Still worth the read.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry that I haven't updated this thread in about a month. I started a side-thread with details about a few things that have been slowing me down:
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48312

Still pushing high EGTs and low boost. Gonna fix that before I move back to the filter project. My plan is to work on it this week during some downtime from our rainy weather. Finally got things out of the garage to get the truck in. ;Sweet

Also, thanks for the thoughts on the filters. I've spent some time reading up and I might have found the Tymar style filter... Will keep ya posted.

Looks like your working up to a Moose Air install there. Pics and part numbers below.

You must be registered for see images

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
as to not start a new thread about air filters. does anyone make a pre skin "sock" for one of these big air filters.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
Looks like your working up to a Moose Air install there. Pics and part numbers below.

You must be registered for see images

Thanks Mel, nice install you have there! If I were a little more keen about K&N filters, I would probably duplicate your setup.

I almost want to look into flexible hoses for the joints. At the moment I am still finagling my way around my AC compressor. Almost think it would be easier with something flexible.

Those look pretty cool!

Sadly I remember a few cheap guys where I used to live that used some old women's pantyhose as a cover for their filters. :rotflmao
Hilarious! But seemingly effective.. cookoo

Last edited:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Sadly I remember a few cheap guys where I used to live that used some old women's pantyhose as a cover for their filters. :rotflmao
Hilarious! But seemingly effective.. cookoo

actually very effective..in the motorcycle industry i tell people to not set foot in sand with your bike without a least 2 coverings of pantyhose. works great ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online