6 bottles of Diesel Kleen...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6 bottles of Diesel Kleen... Made it but lost the clutch

I'm pulling the old F250 out of once-a-month cruise duty and using it to haul the last of my belongings from New Mexico to Henderson, NV. Some of you may recall that I moved here to Henderson for work a couple years ago, and I never really moved all my stuff. My company provides me a vehicle to drive, so the IDI has been sitting under a cover 99% of the time since I moved here- I've only put like 500 miles on it in 2 years. I still have a storage unit in Albuquerque that I have all my tools and equipment in- that I've been paying $160/month to store 650 miles away from me for 2.5 years. I'm finally at the point that I really miss having my stuff and I'm sick of paying to store it.

I'm borrowing a good friend's 18' enclosed car trailer and headed out on Friday. I have LOTS of heavy stuff- tool boxes full tools, fab equipment, steel stock, a heavy fab table, etc. so it'll be loaded heavy on the way back. I've been driving the truck daily for the past 2 weeks to give it a chance to expose any issues before I hit the road. So far, so good.

I've checked all the fluids, and they're in good shape. SCA's have been maintained. I changed the oil and filter just because, but it probably didn't need it. Tires are kept at 80psi when parked to avoid flat spots, and they run smooth on the highway based on the last couple weeks. Batteries are on a battery tender when it's parked, so they're good- I checked the water in them and cleaned the terminals recently to be sure. All GP's are functional. Fuel system seems great- it cranks right up even after sitting for 6-8 weeks without being run. I fixed the drivers seat mounting- it had torn through the floorboard due to my fat ass, so it's sitting straight and secure. iPod is loaded with good music, and my 3 year old daughter's seat is installed- she'll be my co-pilot for this adventure. CB and HAM rigs installed for emergencies, if the cell phone quits.

I split the cost of 4 new tires for the trailer with the owner, and the bearings are repacked. All trailer lights are functional. Trailer brakes work great with my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 controller.

I've got 6 small bottles of Diesel Kleen to use at fillup (1/2 bottle in each tank, each time I fill up) that should keep it running smooth for the trip.

Anything else I should check?

Ryan

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
BRAKES Brakes brakes! Check the brakes! Especially if you're hauling heavy.

I would pull the wheels, look them over, pull the drums check all the hardware. I might even pull clean and lube the self adjusters. Re-install, and adjust.

Another thing I would do is pull your brake master off the booster; look to make sure it's not leaky.

Also, when was the last time you timed it? *glances at the Kent Moore box on his desk*

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The brake check idea is a good one. At least self adjust the rears so the fronts are noty doing all the stopping. Best way to know if the rears are out of adjustment is see where the parking brake sets. If its more than 1/2 way to the floor then the rears are way out of adjustment. For no good reason the ford engineered self adjusters in the rears never do what they were designed to do. About the only real thing that fixs that is the hydroboost with the 1 5/16 master cylinder of manually adjusting them every other oil change... Sounds like you have every thing covered. Are you taking along a couple of spare belts and fuel filters. Might even take along spare hoses and a few gallons of water just in case...

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Do you have an electric pump or are you still OEM pump?

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Are you taking along a couple of spare belts and fuel filters.
I second this!!! I have lost a belt or two in my day (usually because a bolt broke not due to age)... but my BIGGIE is fuel filters. Bring two. They're cheap.. and it sure as hell beats sitting on the side of the road at 11PM because a filter plugged up 15 miles from nowhere and having to wait until morning to buy a new filter to get back on the road. (and in my case, I had horses in the trailer too... that...was...not...fun.)

SLC97SR5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you've got a handle on everything.

I like a few gallons of all fluids, a fuel filter and make sure a spare for the Truck and Trailer are accessible with a jack and 4way to change them.

I keep a serpentine and upper and lower rad hoses.

I predict all goes well and the Ford will love you for working it.

Air filter?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as mentioned earlier, filters, serp belt and hoses. a extra tensioner and idler never takes up too much space and can be a godsend.
that's a short hop compared to what I did this last summer.
one word of caution. most trailer floors can't handle the concentrated weight of a toolbox. also, you may want to put the heaviest stuff in the centerline of the trailer and stuff everything else around it. it will make a huge difference in a easy trip or a white-knuckle ride home.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BRAKES Brakes brakes! Check the brakes! Especially if you're hauling heavy.

I would pull the wheels, look them over, pull the drums check all the hardware. I might even pull clean and lube the self adjusters. Re-install, and adjust.

Another thing I would do is pull your brake master off the booster; look to make sure it's not leaky.

Also, when was the last time you timed it? *glances at the Kent Moore box on his desk*

Good call! I checked the timing before I moved here. I have a Snap On MT1480 that works pretty good...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Might want to go around and check the clamps on all the hoses. Even the intercooler hoses. Its tuff to carry spare hypermax hoses but most any duct tape can work in a pinch on any blown hose. Just don't build any pressure and you can limp almost anywhere. Might want to carry some duct tape too. No need for a complete roll. Just don't make it the blue duct tape... That gives the dog catches a woodie...:rotflmao:eek::angel:

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it to Albuquerque ok, but the clutch is done. Slips under throttle with an empty trailer. Looks like I'm busy tomorrow...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had parts overnighted Friday, but they sent the wrong flywheel.

My original DMF is in excellent shape, but the pressure plate is done. Going to proceed with SMF conversion, using a Sachs clutch kit- assuming the rit flywheel shows up Tuesday. The truck is currently on a lift at the dealer I used to work at, waiting on reassembly. They were kind enough to let me use a lift and my old buddies lent me some tools to tear it down. Beats working in my dads driveway...

I'm anticipating some rollover noise- isn't the trick to add an extra 1/2 quart of ATF through the shifter hole to minimize the noise?

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Wow... Never would have thought to carry a spare clutch setup...:D Thats something I felt would be fine for the trip just like all the other posters. Glad you have a lift to work under too. Friends are good for somehing in a case like this. Sorry this happened plus the parts problem issues. Hows the co-pilot doing...:D Hope she is fine too and enjoying the time together with you. About the rollover noise. I'm not sure what others have done about it but surely someone will chime in to help out.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Actually the most common thing I see for rollover in the psd forums, is to use 2 gallons of straight 30wt motor oil. (I think 2 gallons)

Personally, I dump the whole gallon of atf in. Could probably do 1½ gallons at least.

I'm now paranoid of every single noise mine makes. After the last zf bit the dust. Doesn't even bother me that the boot doesn't seal, I just get to hear what's going on. I'll even make a one hour drive with the radio off.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONE! Flywheel arrived this morning at 9:30. I was at the shop at 10, and done by 11:30. All went well, but the rollover noise is pretty noticeable, especially stopped in neutral without the clutch depressed. I increased the idle speed to about 900 rpm, which took care of most of it, but I may look into a different trans fluid when I get home.

I felt bad throwing away the old DMF, but saw no sense in hauling it home with no intent of reinstalling...

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well happy to hear your up and running again. Rollover noise is music that you"ll get used to. Hope the drive home is easy and no rain or snow problems. Where are you crossing the Colorado River.. At Damn Hoover. If so I'm not very happy looking at the new bridge just down stream.. Thats a scarey crossing for me. Been across Glen Canyon Dam at 800 ft above the water.. Thats an open grate road bed... Looking down is horrible for me....