6 bottles of Diesel Kleen...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
the friction material used on the inside of the syncro rings is the reason why ATF should be used. (see pics) that being said, I too have used 50wt genuine dino oil as a trans lubricant on a very high mile ZF5. the syncro ring in the pic is what a wiped out syncro ring looks like.
I had read that it was to do with the tight clearances. Which is why they're a little harder to shift when cold.

But your explanation makes perfect sense also.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Still in Albuquerque. The weather turned today, and with my daughter along for the ride, I opted to wait until Saturday to leave I'd like to get together when I get back for sure.

Ryan
what are the chances of getting back the DMF? I'll pay a bonus for it :D

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DMF parts are long gone to the scrappers. I went looking for them today at the dealer and no luck. Ill live to regret it I'm sure...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Made it home today. Truck ran great, got 12mpg dragging the trailer full of all my tools and equipment. The trans now sounds horrible, with a vibration at 2300rpm in 5th gear. I have no idea if I messed up the pilot bearing when I stabbed the trans, or if i have another issue. Anyone want to see this video and chime in, comments are welcome...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ii8FOS7gt4

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
noise stops as soon as the pressure plate is depressed enough that the input shaft stops spinning with the engine. Noise is bad in neutral, but there is a definite noise at speed as well. At least I brought all my tools home with me...

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta unload tomorrow and ill look at it after if I have time. I have a sinking feeling that Ill have to pull the trans again.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back a few steps... I have a 3 2/3 year old and she would have an absolute blast hauling a trailer and truck load long distance with me in my truck. She can't stand my ****** commuter cars and much prefers the big loud diesel truck Dad has. I hope your kid had as much fun with Dad as mine would have.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly that sounds like something in the trans but hope its not. Look closely at the throwup bearing too. Or maybe something on the pressure plate has majically let go. Whatever is going on it got worse but it got you home safley. My luck it would have let go on the bridge crossing and I would have been stuck there... BTW thats a great pic of your daughter. Our daughter loved riding in my 79 chevy truck. She sat up high enough at that age to see the road ahead. She hated riding in the wifeys back seat in the Jag XJ12L sedan. Cry and complain she couldn't see outside any more... Children are special at that age.. I really miss that too.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thinking more and more about this- the noise didn't start until I put the clutch in. What are the odds that the trans is suddenly bad after a clutch install. Is it possible to have gotten a "bad" clutch and flywheel kit? Flywheel out of balance or otherwise no good?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online

No members online now.