6 bottles of Diesel Kleen...

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I love them open grate type bridges. Like to scare my passengers while driving over them.
I'm the type that'll hop and shake an elevator. LOL

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well happy to hear your up and running again. Rollover noise is music that you"ll get used to. Hope the drive home is easy and no rain or snow problems. Where are you crossing the Colorado River.. At Damn Hoover. If so I'm not very happy looking at the new bridge just down stream.. Thats a scarey crossing for me. Been across Glen Canyon Dam at 800 ft above the water.. Thats an open grate road bed... Looking down is horrible for me....

here's a vid that will make your skin crawl just sitting and watching..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZPwJr_c&list=HL1361318196

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
here's a vid that will make your skin crawl just sitting and watching..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCYZZPwJr_c&list=HL1361318196

What's surprising about that, is there's actually not a very high fatality rate in that line of work.
Going up is the easy part, coming down is the nerve racking part.
Just like in roofing. Crossing from the roof down to the ladder is the worst part.
I bet doing that a few times a week would put a man in good physical shape LOL
I wander how many breaks they take while climbing.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably wait until Friday or Saturday to drive back, since the weather is supposed to be crappy. I don't mind the new bridge that bypasses the dam- the walls are so high you can't really see over the side anyway.

I'm really going to have to get used to the rollover noise. It was really disconcerting before I increased the idle speed. I may experiment with some different gear oils when I get home. I can't believe that the SMF was an acceptable replacement given how much noise it creates. There's no way it would be an acceptable replacement by a dealership these days.

Ryan

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree they wouldn't do anything- they can't re-engineer parts at the dealership level. My point is that Ford stopped offering a DMF kit and made the SMF the only option. I don't think that would be approved these days for install at a dealer due to the NVH concerns. I can't imagine any change in the noise between brands of clutch/flywheels, it's just the nature of the SMF.

Ryan

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sounds like some Fat Mat needs to be installed on the floor of the truck. I have two layers of it like Darrin suggested on his rig.. Man o man is that a qite ride now for me. Fat Mat is about half the cost of Dynamat and works just the same.. You guys with the pics and jumping up and down in an elevater makes my sking crawl....:eek:

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have single-masses in both our PSDs. Never got around to overfilling either tranny. In both cases, either the rollover noise abated over time, or we just got habituated to it. And I always stand at stop lights in neutral with my foot off the clutch.

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a positive note, the pedal feel is awesome with the new setup.

Ill be pulling the interior when I get home to do some floorboard repairs where the seats and console mount. When the carpet is out Ill insulate the floors in the hopes of quieting it down a little. Either way, the trans noise is excessive in my opinion. I'm hoping some SAE 30 or SAE 50 fluid will help.

Ryan

jrad235

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Use 50w Synthetic. I just put 4 qts(Royal Purple) in mine and it definitely changed the rollover noise. Sounds just like the old truck until it gets warm and then you can occasionally hear the gears chattering. I'm planning on adding another quart to see what happens. I tried a gallon and a half of ATF, and it was still annoying.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have read here that useing anything but atf will wear out the syncros faster. I'm not an authority on the standard ZF box but someone that is may chime in on this. Hope the trip home is fine and the bridge crossing goes well. If I was crossing there I might just close my eyes till I got on the other side. I saw a tv program how the bridge was made from the construction cables to the last poor. One side has the largest single poor of concrete ever made. It went on around the clock for days I think.. Temps were a big problem for the poor. It got too hot and amazing things were done to cool it down...

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No expert either, but my understanding is that the synchros on most modern manuals contain the same materials as those used on the internal clutch packs of an automatic transmission, and to maintain them, ATF should be used. Not sure why, but ZF calls for any ATF in the tranny mounted behind a gasser, and synthetic in the tranny mounted behind a diesel.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the friction material used on the inside of the syncro rings is the reason why ATF should be used. (see pics) that being said, I too have used 50wt genuine dino oil as a trans lubricant on a very high mile ZF5. the syncro ring in the pic is what a wiped out syncro ring looks like.

Attachments

• SL378276.JPG
    SL378276.JPG
    287.2 KB · Views: 10
  • SL378277.JPG
    SL378277.JPG
    288 KB · Views: 11
  • SL378278.JPG
    SL378278.JPG
    285.4 KB · Views: 11
  • SL378279.JPG
    SL378279.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 10

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still in Albuquerque. The weather turned today, and with my daughter along for the ride, I opted to wait until Saturday to leave I'd like to get together when I get back for sure.

Ryan