6.9l just quit making power PLZ HALP

wdkingery

Reaction score
My brother has a 1986 Ford f250 with a 6.9l idi IH motor in it. the previous owner installed a banks turbo, some gauges and a shift kit in the auto trans.

my brother dislikes driving and owning it, but I won't let him get rid of it, so it just sits.

well i have been out of the country as of late, and now that i'm back, i decided to fire it up and take it for a spin. boy i loved how it cranked right up after 6+ months of sitting!

well, drove it for about 20 minutes, was idling past the front door of a walmart and it just shut off. i mean plain conked out. this truck has never done this before! no, i don't abuse this one with motor oils, etc.

well, the only way it would fire up is if i gave it some skinny pedal. so i got it running, and now it idles on it's own, starts fine, etc. but something is wrong. it's like the gas pedal wont' push far enough; i cannot get boost to build very well, it won't stretch it's shifts on out like it should when floored.. but i checked the accelerator cable it's fine.

wonder what happened to that pump?? i suspected water in the fuel.. i've since checked the fuel i found in the filter, didn't find water.. added some iso-heet to the tanks.

anyone got an idea about why it just won't go? you almost have to floor it to accelerate normally, and this truck, with it's aftermarket turbo and IP turned all the way up used to zip right along 20 seconds before the walmart fall out.

i don't know enough about the 2 vacuum lines and the electrical bits on the IP.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What you need to do is see how much fuel comes out of the filter bleeder valve. Get the engine running and press the inner tube looking valve core on the filter head. See if fuel or air or both come out of that. If little or nothing comes out then your lift pump is shot. Thats the mechanical pump found under the alternater and vacuum pump on the front passenger side of the block. Its way down low. Just find the rubber hose and you will find the pump. That hose is the flex line from the metal line back to the tank. Two 1/2 or 9/16 hex bolts is all that holds that to the engine..

wdkingery

Reaction score
I just replaced that lift pump less than a year ago. I'll try it tho. Looks like it's either bad fuel or something inside the pump snapped.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried the simple simple thing? Replace your fuel filter, it may be in the process of plugging up.

Also drain your water separator, see what you get out of it.
(if it's the old Stanadyne unit, be prepared to put a bolt in the drain hole, as opening it may cause it to leak. Read up on it here: http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?18212-The-Stanadyne-Water-Seperator-Exposed )

If some water got into your tank while it sat for 6months, you could have an algae problem. That'll plug your filters fast.