6.9 Mustang

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
Surprising to meet another z car owner on here, and doing a similar swap to boot! Im putting a 302 in my 77 280z.

My buddy restored a 68 mustang and did alot of structural fabrication in the front end, engine bay, suspension etc. I would be surprised if the body of that car can support the weight of an idi. It is extremely frail compared to larger full frame vehicles.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I have poured over the data and I am going to put a 7.3 IDI into a fox body one day. I did the measurements and all, and it wont be that hard.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you figure that it's crazy?
because running numbers is 1 thing, but actually getting into a project of this caliber is a whole other league.
ive done uni body work, theres nothing easy about it.. lots of work

have you seen my latest project?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
because running numbers is 1 thing, but actually getting into a project of this caliber is a whole other league.
ive done uni body work, theres nothing easy about it.. lots of work

have you seen my latest project?

It's the same mounts and such as a big block. The front will be down a hair more than an all iron 460. A few people have already put PSD's in a fox body. Checkout the Corral. They have a few builds on there of that.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's the same mounts and such as a big block. The front will be down a hair more than an all iron 460. A few people have already put PSD's in a fox body. Checkout the Corral. They have a few builds on there of that.

again,
running numbers, and looking at build sites on the internet are 1 thing....
I never said it cant be done.
I have a IDI in a 63 falcon.
would be the same amount of work with a powerstroke

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
again,
running numbers, and looking at build sites on the internet are 1 thing....
I never said it cant be done.
I have a IDI in a 63 falcon.
would be the same amount of work with a powerstroke

I've done some swap stuff, but not with an IDI. I guess nobody will ever know until it's tried. And if it don't fit there, then I'll put one in a Crown Vic. There is absolutely no reason it can't fit there.

Also the PSD in anything is a lot more wiring.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've done some swap stuff, but not with an IDI. I guess nobody will ever know until it's tried. And if it don't fit there, then I'll put one in a Crown Vic. There is absolutely no reason it can't fit there.

Also the PSD in anything is a lot more wiring.

I never said it would not fit.
I said it was NOT easy.
beat it to fit, paint it to hide.

when you have a stand alone wiring kit, its only a few wires and a bunch of garbage.