6.9 Mustang

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm highly considering doing the unthinkable! Something most probably won't agree with but it's an idea that has been rolling around my noggin since I got into IDI's. Surely it would be a one of kind.

I want to buy another running 6.9 donor truck.

Pull the 351w out of the mustang and replace it with a 6.9, and drop the 351w into my 280z. I already have a buyer in line for the L28 inline 6/5 speed manual in the Datsun so that will help with the initial cost of materials for the 6.9 swap.

I will be removing the shock towers completely. If people can make 460's and 4.6 Modular V8's fit into a 67. I can make an IDI fit. (With a little bit of persuasion) :D

The 6.9 weighs about 350 pounds more than the 351w so some bracing and frame support will be added.

Will be running boost.

I AM NOT looking to build a drag car or any kind of racer here. Not looking for unrealistic HP's numbers either. Simply want to go out and do something that hasn't been done before. A fun weekend/daily cruiser and conversation piece.

This will take some times as I have many preparations to oversee before I can get things going.

I've attached some pics for entertainment purposes. Enjoy!

You must be registered for see images attach

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Go for it.
People have been swapping the 6.2/6.5 into cars for a long time. Even vettes. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed, do it!

I would like to put a 6.9/7.3 in a late 70's or 80's Continental or Town Car, one of the more square body ones.......

Looking at those pictures, I didn't realize the mods were that much bigger than a SBF.......

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go for it.
People have been swapping the 6.2/6.5 into cars for a long time. Even vettes. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I think it will be pretty sweet to say the least! Running 12-15 #'s and dropping it into 2700 lbs car! :D

I plan to swap out the Ford 8 inch rear for a 9 inch also.

Agreed, do it!

I would like to put a 6.9/7.3 in a late 70's or 80's Continental or Town Car, one of the more square body ones.......

Looking at those pictures, I didn't realize the mods were that much bigger than a SBF.......

I REALLY like the Continentals from 66-70.

I also didn't realize how crazy of a difference there was in the two until some recent research. Those modular's are a hoss!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a big slug that will go slow in a straight line,then a medium duty diesel truck engine is just the ticket.:D

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want a big slug that will go slow in a straight line,then a medium duty diesel truck engine is just the ticket.:D

Lmao if I could just locate that legendary IDI I keep reading about......

I don't think it will be that bad! I think the "exotic" factor alone will be worth it in the end. -Drool

Surely the 3300 lbs. difference should help some... I hope.. o_O

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would whoop your tail with my little 4 cyl honda accord.:D
There's nothing exotic about an old idi.I wouldn't trade them for the world in my trucks,but come play time,it's thank the lord for the big block ford.:cool

full

Have you met Pamola?
http://www.oilburners.net/media/albums/pamola-1968-ford-thunderbird.8/

Last edited:

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It would get some looks pulling up to stop lights? One of these things is not like the other right?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you want a diesel in your stang, I would advise against the IDI.
the same amount of work to put a PSD into and double your numbers.
but if you really must have an IDI, I would make 2 suggestions.

1) use the same type of exhaust I have in my ranchero.

2) if that is your MII kit on your stang, I would plate the rails more than they are already plated,
and I would be entertaining the idea of building a complete frame for the car.

the welds on that front suspension are sub par. you can see the discoloration on the top of the shock mounts, and where the builder of that suspension welded it together.
no discoloration from the sheet metal frame to the cross member. not much penetration there.
putting a IDI on that is not a wise choice.
you will be trusting 14 gauge stamped sheet metal with all that torque.
you can very easily twist it.
ive put 390-427 FE's into stangs before, its not fun to say at the least

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would whoop your tail with my little 4 cyl honda accord.:D
There's nothing exotic about an old idi.I wouldn't trade them for the world in my trucks,but come play time,it's thank the lord for the big block ford.:cool

Have you met Pamola?
http://www.oilburners.net/media/albums/pamola-1968-ford-thunderbird.8/

Hey those little Honda's are pretty quick! :p

Come play time that 351 in the *** car will get the job done! This will be my street/strip car. I've been looking for a decent set of Cleveland heads for the better half of 3 years... No one wants to give them up for anything less than my left you know what.

You straight slapped and stole that Birdy from the PO for that price! Nice car! ;Sweet

D_Fresh361

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, if you want a diesel in your stang, I would advise against the IDI.
the same amount of work to put a PSD into and double your numbers.
but if you really must have an IDI, I would make 2 suggestions.

1) use the same type of exhaust I have in my ranchero.

2) if that is your MII kit on your stang, I would plate the rails more than they are already plated,
and I would be entertaining the idea of building a complete frame for the car.

the welds on that front suspension are sub par. you can see the discoloration on the top of the shock mounts, and where the builder of that suspension welded it together.
no discoloration from the sheet metal frame to the cross member. not much penetration there.
putting a IDI on that is not a wise choice.
you will be trusting 14 gauge stamped sheet metal with all that torque.
you can very easily twist it.
ive put 390-427 FE's into stangs before, its not fun to say at the least

What year PSD would you recommend? I chose the IDI because it's literally the only diesel engine I have experience with as of now. I have a complete running truck, and will have the donor truck for references if I get hung up somewhere. I also like the simplicity of it.

None of the above pictures are of my Mustang. They were just for reference and entertainment purposes to show all what the 67 is capable of housing under the hood. I wish I was that far along with the build already! :D

And I am no welder by any means. Most everything will be tacked up on my end and a "professional" will finish them. Not all of this work will be completed by yours truly. All of the wrenching will be done by me of course but fabrication and welding is still something I have a lot to learn about. I have the tools and work area to accomplish something like this but I don't want it to be a hack and slash job with ****** welds and stuff thrown together any way possible. I want it be presentable to say the least.

Building a complete frame is totally out of the question for me. That's not something I would currently trust myself with. I believe in myself but know my limits.

Thanks for your input Brian, I was hoping you would chime in. Especially with the Manchero build you've got going on. And also your knowledge of fabrication. Something I unfortunately lack as of now. :cheers:

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a build I did wayyy back in the day, my first custom frame.
it only looks intimidating, but if you can work a square, plum bob and a calculator, its all within your grasp.

www.lemanz.net/1930olds.htm

I should work on that website.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go with a smaller 4 cylinder like a Kubota 2300 or an Volkswagen AHL TDI before I ever thought about an Idi.

If your putting a domestic engine in a 280 then I see no problem putting a foreign engine in a ford.

I simply don't thing it will handle the weight or physically fit. But I like to be proven wrong sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oah it will fit. the hardest part is making it strong enough for the torque.
AT A MINIMUM... you would need to 1/4 plate the entire front subframe, subframe connectors, and some reinforcement to the spring hangers.
headers will be a pita, and so will a transmission to clear the smaller c4
maybe a C6?
im more worried about the torque twisting the thing up.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I also didn't realize how crazy of a difference there was in the two until some recent research. Those modular's are a hoss!

I have 2 4.6 Modulars, in P71's a 2000 and a 2007, and you can tell the improvements over the years... I will say, my 07, which is my daily, is a blast to drive..... it's fun when people want to dart away from the light and get in front of the "old man" car...... my 07 doesn't look like a cop car at all.....

I did just get to deal with one of the joys of a mod........ I just got to fix a blown plug in my 00.........