6.9 loses power, gets it back, loses it again.

ecvpaul

Reaction score
I have an '86 Jayco motorhome on an E-350 chassis, with a 6.9 engine and ATS turbo. Coming home from a trip last week, I started to lose power on the Interstate, going from 55 to 45 to 40 (on a flat section.) I exited the freeway, and on the offramp I tried to rev the engine in neutral, and it felt very sluggish. It then stalled. When I started it up, though, it revved up fine and the power was back. So, I continued on down the road and it ran fine for about twenty miles, but then it started to lose power again. I had to stop three times, let the motorhome sit a few minutes, and then move on again. I figured my fuel filter was ready for a change, so I replaced it a couple days ago. I let a friend use the coach today, and he had the same problem. He noticed that when going up a hill, the egts were very low during the "power loss phase." I noticed this too on my trip (no higher than 600 degrees going up a hill). No smoke. My friend also heard what sounded like a vacuum leak from somewhere near the top of the engine around the fuel pump.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!
Paul

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Wouldn't be vacuum, these are open plenum engines, thus the need for a vacuum pump. I'm guessing fuel related, lift pump going south or gone and/or the IP may be in need of replacement. Being it's turbo, there could be an issue there with the turbo not spinning correctly, maybe not enough lubrication, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5

Members online

No members online now.