6.9 head gasket kit part numbers.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Anyone have part number for a head gasket kit for my 87 6.9???? It got hot the other day while driving to work (plow was on and there was a strong head wind) and apparently it took on the pass side gasket (******* on the floor)-cuss....So now I'm into 2 gaskets and a water pump ASAP so I can get the truck ready to plow in a snow storm that is forecast Wednesday into Thursday. Hopefully I can find a gasket set on Monday or have it on Tuesday at the latest. Goofy is on board to help so with any luck I will be ready for the "pennies from heaven".....:D I also need the head bolt torque for a 6.9 as my factory IDI manual is for a 7.3....:rolleyes:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Looks like a VR Head set is HS3789 and a Valley pan is MS15968
Dang new online catalog for VR is a pain, they don't show the 6.9 gaskets if you look them up under ford truck, but if you look them up under Navistar 420 it pops up the whole shootin' match cookoo
I don't have the 6.9 bolt torque either

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
BIG RIG TECH! i have a complete engine gasket set for a 6.9(dont include valley pan) you can have it for 150 USD+ shipping. i have it listed in the market place, you wont get this deal from an auto parts store or something like that

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yeah, but I need it Monday....LOL....Thats the issue. There is a chance we will have a large snow storm the middle of this week and I have 25 driveways to plow so this thing is getting fixed ASAP if I can get the gaskets on Monday. I will have it pulled apart tommorow and cleaned up for reassembly. I didn't want to spend a penny on this engine because it was coming out this spring either way and ofcourse ol' Murphy found me again. I'm bringing home the Cummins donor tommorow morning.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Yeah, but I need it Monday....LOL....Thats the issue. There is a chance we will have a large snow storm the middle of this week and I have 25 driveways to plow so this thing is getting fixed ASAP if I can get the gaskets on Monday. I will have it pulled apart tommorow and cleaned up for reassembly. I didn't want to spend a penny on this engine because it was coming out this spring either way and ofcourse ol' Murphy found me again. I'm bringing home the Cummins donor tommorow morning.

Alright

MY OFFER STANDS FOR ANY OB MEMBER! I NEED MONEY! goofy knows why, i talked to him about itLOL

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
im suprised you havent started pulling it apart today. i checked with my local parts stores they can have the gaskets today. If i knew i needed my rig for work i'd be tearing into it today.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
penndiesel sells the victor reins kits pretty cheap
id give them a call

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nothing is open here on the weekends so tommorow morning is the earliest I can call. We just brought the Cummins donor home this morning so Goofy and I are going to start ripping the 6.9 apart now.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The heads are off, we can see where it leaked so that was nice...Biggest problem - I need about 10 head bolts...Pics to come shortly.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The old girl has had a hard life me thinks....It shows it's age but with a new set of gaskets I only need 3 more months out it (end of plowing season).....It was a pig to pull apart thanks to those friggin 12 point bolts....What a twisted idea that was.cookoo

You must be registered for see images attach

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Anyone out there tried to puck up a set of heads off the radiator support of an F350 that is ABOVE stock height, and carry them to a bench.....this is all AFTER lifting them from the engine and setting them on the support by hands.....

Next time, I think we go with your idea of using the engine hoist.

I had a look at my stach, I have no bolts for a 6.9. I think it will live again though!!

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
try doing that when the truck's headlights/hood line are that my nose level... I deflated the front tires and still used a forklift to get the motor out of my truck, yet alone think about trying to pull the heads off. Yuck.