6.9 and Early 7.3L Injection Pump interchangeability??

Petri317

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat: Yea, I just now went back and read your response to my post a while back. Since I sent the clutch and flywheel back already (-200 for the shipping) and am short on money, I'll just use the 4 speed and keep the 5 speed for later. I appreciate your offer, and might take you up on it later!

Quick question for anyone who has messed with this; Are there any special tricks to getting the IP drive gear cover off without screwing up the timing gear? I've heard it's not advisable take it off, but my 84 cover doesn't have a provision for a tach, and the one from the 89 does. Thanks.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Pretty easy fix for someone that knows how to weld Aluminum.Just make sure they drill a hole at the end of the crack or even after it is welded it the crack will keep moving.A crack shouldn't be more than a bill to fix as long as it ain't broken in 3 or 4 peices.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Yea,but you gotta be very very very careful.just unbolt and remove the IP like normal then take the 4 bolts out of the tower and SLOWLY pry it straight up making sure NOT to move the gear.If you are real careful you can do this and install the new tower without screwing anything up.To mess up the timing the gear as to move up enough to clear the teeth.so it will move a little.But to be safe,Line up the timing marks on the balancer and take note of where the dowl is located(Left,right,up,down) so if you do screw up the timing you can reset the gear without tearing the front of the engine apart.If it jumps a tooth you can look and see if the Y marking is showing at 12Oclock.If it is you need to turn the engine a full turn back to the timing mark so the cam and crank are in the proper location,mark the tooth where the Y is and count X teeth left and X teeth right and mark(forgot how many teeth.Someone will chime in).Draw a line between those teeth and when you reinstall the gear,the line will be dead level with the block and timing cover.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think if I ever had to do that, I would make a jig out of two pieces of plate, and capture the gear in the tower between them, so that the gear cannot move at all.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
A 7.3l pumo will work all day on a 6.9 just alittle more fuel that was the trick on the 6.9 was to turbo one and use a 7.3 pump. But it will be fine.

aaklingler

Reaction score
to remove the cover, pull the little cover off the front, i think you can see the top gear and the second one down, if not forget my post, if you can draw a line thats not going to leave anytime soon across both gears where they mesh.

taber45

Reaction score
If you are changing the pump with the engine installed, DO NOT remove the cover. Instead, carefully remove the pump, and maybe even put long bolts in the front cover that you remove to extract the pump gear screws, to lock the gear in place. It is damn near impossible to line up the timing marks for the injector pump if you remove the gear cover. Take my advice. The cam gear is too far down to see the timing marks. And for the 7.3 to 6.9 pump swap, IT WILL WORK. Obviously, you want to use the right one, but you can use the 7.3 pump. However, you should turn the fuel schedule down which is done by a screw under a cover on the LH side of the pump. Otherwise, you will be burning more fuel than necessary, and fuel is too expensive to waste. You might get more power but unless your pulling a bulldozer, the 6.9 makes enough power as it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online