6.2 IDI vs. 6.9 IDI

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look up a place called Ted's they sell military pull out Navistar 6.5's that have been ran on a test stand. Quite a few have used them with good luck. Only thing is you better pull the heads to check for rust and other damage just in case on them but they normaly are just fine

Black dawg

Reaction score
My 93 6.5 will pull the axles off of any trailer you put behind it,

I have never heard anybody describe their 6.5 that way, do you have a build thread showing some of what you have done? I really like the 6.2-6.5 motors, but dependability was an issue as was overheating. I am running a 454 now that has power and dependability, but if I could come up with a 6.5 set up that would work good, I would probably go back.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard anybody describe their 6.5 that way, do you have a build thread showing some of what you have done? I really like the 6.2-6.5 motors, but dependability was an issue as was overheating. I am running a 454 now that has power and dependability, but if I could come up with a 6.5 set up that would work good, I would probably go back.

I think there is a lot of reliability in the 6.2/6.5 engines, as long as you're not shooting for the stars, they are not D-max's, and they never will be. These are extremely reliable rigs if used how they are supposed to be used, I think they have plenty of power to tow anything you would want to tow with a light duty pickup and fuel economy is unmatched. I think it would behoove you to do the swap to a 6.5T and keep the boost around 5-7 PSI MAX as they were rated at a little bit more TQ than a 454 in stock form, and you will be getting around 20 MPG's maybe more maybe less depending on how you drive.

It is only when people start cranking boost levels and trying to achieve the same power ratings as a Cummins or PowerStroke and D-Max, which will never happen, that problems occur. But since you can buy these motors CHEAP all day long everyday(because of the reasons I just stated) people pick them up and proceed to put them through the same abuse that landed them in the junkyard or on CraigsList.

If you want superb reliability and aren't on a quest for huge numbers, i would suggest picking up a 6.2/6.5 NA and do some intake and exhaust modifications. If you have an OD and gears of 3.43 or higher, then you will be getting upwards of 25+ MPG's and maybe more! With that setup you won't be able to tow heavy, but you will be lining your pockets with money you would of been spending on fuel. And you can pick up a decent 6.2L NA for under $500 almost everyday of the week, with those prices you could have a few for backup!

My current setup is a 1ton 4x4 crew cab with the 6.2 and a TH400, no OD and I am still getting 20mpg's driving around town! I haven't taken it on a long trip yet. But that is with all the ailments it has, the exhaust is undersized and literally falling off, and I think the fuel filter needs changed, so when I do my exhaust and intake mods, my MPG's will go up tremendously. And my truck in its current state is quite peppy and gets up to highway speeds very quickly. I haven't towed anything with it yet so can't tell you about that yet.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Its not really anything special, I Turned the fuel pump up 1/2 a turn, played with the timing a bit, has a 99 water pump and sever duty fan clutch, 4in dumped exhaust and an HX 40 turbo at the moment. I can put 15 2,000K bales of hay behind it and pull like and SOB. Ive seen up to 1400 EGT but never had the coolant break 200. I really need a bigger/better turbo set up. I hit over 20 PSI WAY to quick for my comfort.

Still running stock head bolts at the moment and a 236K mile engine. Ive been running hard for alil over 40K and it was a construction company's delivery truck previously so it has spent its life pulling.

My 94 3500 has over 350K miles on it (ODO says 296 but it quit 4 yrs before we stopped driving it) It has been in my family since brand new, my dad used it to haul hay and pull his swather with for 200K/5yrs and then we put well over 150K on it in the following 10 yrs and its main job was pulling 18 bales of hay through pastures and over the highway on our 40ft floater. It has a very early BD chip and never had engine problems, just cracked two bell housings from too much torque and load

Last edited:

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its not really anything special, I Turned the fuel pump up 1/2 a turn, played with the timing a bit, has a 99 water pump and sever duty fan clutch, 4in dumped exhaust and an HX 40 turbo at the moment. I can put 15 2,000K bales of hay behind it and pull like and SOB. Ive seen up to 1400 EGT but never had the coolant break 200. I really need a bigger/better turbo set up. I hit over 20 PSI WAY to quick for my comfort.

Still running stock head bolts at the moment and a 236K mile engine. Ive been running hard for alil over 40K and it was a construction company's delivery truck previously so it has spent its life pulling.

My 94 3500 has over 350K miles on it (ODO says 296 but it quit 4 yrs before we stopped driving it) It has been in my family since brand new, my dad used it to haul hay and pull his swather with for 200K/5yrs and then we put well over 150K on it in the following 10 yrs and its main job was pulling 18 bales of hay through pastures and over the highway on our 40ft floater. It has a very early BD chip and never had engine problems, just cracked two bell housings from too much torque and load

I like it, you actually work with your truck! That is great to hear good stories about these old IDI's that have been so reliable for so many years and miles and abuse. Makes me wonder why anyone would ever go out and spend $40,000+ on a new pickup, when these old work horses can be had for a couple grand or so....maybe I am just an ole hillbilly though....

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly like the way they pull better than my duramax and trust them more with a load. I know luck probably has alot to do with them holding together but I also want to think that since the trucks were broke in loaded to the gills they handle it alot better. They are also both 599 blocks which are considered the strongest NON navistar 6.5/6.2 besides the early 82 GM High nickel chevy RED block.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I honestly like the way they pull better than my duramax and trust them more with a load. I know luck probably has alot to do with them holding together but I also want to think that since the trucks were broke in loaded to the gills they handle it alot better. They are also both 599 blocks which are considered the strongest NON navistar 6.5/6.2 besides the early 82 GM High nickel chevy RED block.

Speaking of block casting #'s, what would a 1988 Chevy 6.2/J code casting be? are they good or bad or neutral? I am pretty sure I can get a 82 blazer with a 6.2 for a couple hundred bucks, and would love to have a good block for backup.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 6.2's are 660's until ~90 or 91 iirc then there started to be 599 6.2s which are the thickest casting, 599 6.5 specs only bored to 6.2L.

IIRC Heath's sencond LSR motor was a mid 80's 660 so i think they are up to the task. ALL 6.2/6.5 are subject to cracks even in NA form so check them before you buy a spare, with exception to the 2001 and newer navistar castings which havent been found with cracks yet.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 6.2's are 660's until ~90 or 91 iirc then there started to be 599 6.2s which are the thickest casting, 599 6.5 specs only bored to 6.2L.

IIRC Heath's sencond LSR motor was a mid 80's 660 so i think they are up to the task. ALL 6.2/6.5 are subject to cracks even in NA form so check them before you buy a spare, with exception to the 2001 and newer navistar castings which havent been found with cracks yet.

I am going to drop the oil pan when I get home to check for cracks, I am crossing my fingers.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck! I'd rather not know what mine looks like.

My 82 has anywhere in the area of 800K on it but it doesnt have the original red block so its been replaced atleast once. The guy I got it from said it had been passed through the family and he knows it has over 400K since the family got it and they didnt get it until the early 90's, the motor was a rebuild in late 90's and the tranny has be redone atleast twice for what ever reason.

Black dawg

Reaction score

I am surprised at your coolant temps, what are the hills like where you live? 1/2 turn on a 4911 pump?

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am surprised at your coolant temps, what are the hills like where you live? 1/2 turn on a 4911 pump?

Yes sir, 4911 turbo spec pump. With the GM turbo i could hit 1400 at part throttle unloaded. I was testing a 16cm hx 40 gated at 22psi, not wired shut, i can boost way higher than 22 with the fuel i have. This turbo is still small for my needs.

I am running dual OEM oil coolers in series and a pusher fan with temp sender on one. New radiator with no trans or oil cooler. Stock 6 blade fan, just never upgraded because i dont over heat now anyways.

I have some pretty good rolling hills, not any major mountains. Alot of rolling sand dune hills and active dunes all over the place, The back roads I cut through have deep canyons and winding roads through some of our local small mountains (land formation in the middle of no where).

I am currently rebuilding my NV4500 and installing a custom clutch good for ~400 HP and 600 TQ, more than i will probably need. I might have to turn back the fuel to test the GM3 turbo on a dyno but then again, it wont be on for long. I am collecting turbos and might spend a weekend testing them on a buddies Mustang dyno in the next yr if plans work out right. Should also have a full spectrum of gauges including : boost, IAT, ECT, EOT, EGT, Fuel PSI, Oil PSI, NV4500 Temp, Both Diffs, T Case, and BACK PRESSURE. Shes gonna look like a space shuttle inside lol. Future plans include a Dmax inner cooler (or maybe custom) and DB4 or modded DB2, possibly center mont too but thats gonna take some thinking to decide on the turbo to use.

One of my other 6.5's (95 or 00) are getting a DMAX VVT center mount turbo maybe next yr so it will be interesting too. If its the 00 then it will be a work truck. I am looking for a roll over 01-04 dmax to get a full rad core mount out of, their rad is the same size as a 6.5L just different tanks.

Last edited: