6.2 IDI vs. 6.9 IDI

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've always used good maintenance as the primary means of keeping everything running right. Keep the coolant at the right mix, never skimp on oil quality (and I use 5w40 synthetic year long as good insurance, in cold weather block the majority of the grill to keep the heat in (and I still allow some air through just to ensure some necessary cooling).

Even the quality of the fuel will change the heat of the engine.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
now another question i have been looking around on other sites and they are saying the head from a 6.2 can go to a 6.5 what years interchange??and i want to keep the small prechamber for fuel economy right?

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard something about those heads interchanging, but have never messed around with any of it since I never needed to. I always liked my NA 6.2s

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure the only heads that are different are the 82 year heads that had coarse thread injectors, other than that i think they are all pretty much the same. Opsud, i find it interesting when you say that 6.2's last longer with a turbo. Please explain further if you would.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apparently there are not a lot of guys interested in 6.2/6.5 performance, as we have Moose Pumps for these sitting on the shelves, and they just don't move. Not sure why, but perhaps the economy factor keeps their owners happy with what they have.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I plan to shovel my 6.2 (red block) into a s10 or small car.
So one day (not even remotely soon unfortunately) I will hop it up.

Mel, have you done anything with the coarse thread injectors?
Or is it a send mine in to be rebuilt type of thing?

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
In my quest to own and successfully operate a diesel class A motor home I have found a Winnie with a 6.2. I'm a 6.9/7.3 guy, and I'm wondering, what do you guys think about a 6.2 with 5K on a rebuild in a 27'-er as far as reliability and maint. costs? Do they enjoy alternative fuels like a 7.3 does?

I am chasing the biodiesel-fueled camper dream. My original plan was to swap a 7.3 for a 460 in an E350-based Fleetwood but I'm starting to get cold feet due to other issues with the Fleetwood body. The Winnebago is older but in better shape.

JPalmer81

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is indirect injection just like the 6.9/7.3. The 7.3 will have considerable power advantages over the 6.2, but I think the 6.2 or maybe a 6.5 would do you just fine with better MPG's.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently there are not a lot of guys interested in 6.2/6.5 performance, as we have Moose Pumps for these sitting on the shelves, and they just don't move. Not sure why, but perhaps the economy factor keeps their owners happy with what they have.

There are more 6.5L dedicated forums than I've seen IDI 6.9/7.3L forums. Problem is there is only 2yrs of DB2 6.5L turbos and most 6.2 owners dont want to put effort into finding a turbo kit.

Unfortunately you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. In other words, I can tell 6.5/6.2 owners about your pumps but they only buy from vendors, we are a very loyal group. (some are too loyal)

On a separate note, there are more 300hp 6.5's than Ive seen 300hp IDI7.3's

Over at thetruckstop.us there are almost aways people looking for rebuilt pumps and injectors but no supporting vendors so they search craigslist and use the guys that pop up first on google. I am pretty sure a DB2 vendor could pay his vendor fee off injector rebuilds alone.

Last edited:

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I love both the 6.2s and also the 6.9s I have. To me they do the work I need them to do, the 6.2 will give incredible mileage and the 6.9 will work all day and not complain. I'm currently at sea level so there is no real need for a turbo. If that changes, so will the engines. They will get turbo'd

Everything has it's place.

Jake2670

Reaction score

will ur pump help, hurt or not change MPG in 6.2 with Banks Turbo kit

Jake2670

Reaction score
yeah, thats a given, but I'm asking all things equal. I want a balance, but most MPG than HP. Its a tow rig, need it to pull 10k no prob, 15k b nice but look for that sweet spot

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online