6.2 IDI vs. 6.9 IDI

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See, I should just save this explanation for when people ask why I have so many different vehicles setup so differently.

i own and build both makes. my rule of thumb for which truck to use is simple.
if I am hauling ass and commuting.....6.2/6.5 GM.
if I am hauling heavy or going where you are a participant in the food chain.....6.9/7.3 IH
my '92 F350 is build to haul 10k/lb trailers without breaking a sweat.
442Bob's '83 C2500 is built to haul ass. It will leave my '92 standing still at the lights the moment the throttle is dumped.
if I want to haul 15k/lb gross spread between two axles, I break out my '89 F450 and not be a serious hurry getting there and back.
each truck has an intended purpose. there isn't a rule that you can't use a truck outside it's purpose but it won't work to it's best potential.

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wait so what is the deal about a 6.2 running hotter i mean is it a bad design?

No the engine itself is fine, GM didnt make the cooling system large enough and most were undermaintained adding to the problem. If you set the truck up right and have guages then it will do great.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so would a bigger rad and cooling fans reduce that chance for over heating? and a cooler thermostat just weighing my options on which one I would like to buy in the future

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe my experiences are out of the ordinary, but I have both C and J code engines with never a problem overheating. I am a stickler with maintenance though, and make sure the coolant is never too heavy or too light. Plus I have built ways to transfer some of the engine heat to the incoming fuel so that may help slightly.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and I am VERY diligent with making sure the fins in the radiators (both engine and tranny) are clear and straight to allow proper cooling. Many years in heating and air conditioning have taught me that airflow is VERY important.

Oh yeah, and make sure the AC condenser is operative. By that I mean it flows air through easily.

These are just airflow recommendations I can make, even though I have never had an issue with normal but regular maintenance with the stock system and good coolant

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And my personal opinion is that the 6.2 is a wonderfully designed engine for lighter working vehicles, though I have been known to work the snot out of mine. Especially the J code engine in my M1009

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
opusd2 i am also in hvac i am young just starting out as a helper installer wanting to get my feet wet and i agree with the airflow always clean and clear

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to go too far off topic, but since you are also in HVAC you will see that most late night "No-Heat" calls are due to blocked airflow. And heat kills components in autos as well as (and ESPECIALLY in furnaces).

Then there is the whole air conditioning thing and it's efficiency...

But yeah, boiled down, you need proper airflow.

bigoilburner20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so like a clogged filter or a blocked intake tube on the outside of a house that has weeds growing inside of it lol well thank you i am learning here and there but this job i am currently going to start in a week or so i am going to learn so much hopefully im eager to get into this business i heard you can make alot of money and money isnt everything but every time i work on a unit or trouble shoot a no cooling I feel like nothing else matters nothing else is going on in the world and then after its running and ice cold i feel like the man so to speak. just off topic but the 6.2 ive heard they are junk but those are people who never took care of them from what i am seeing

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Absolutely. I've seen 6.2s go hundreds of 1000s of miles without rebuilds, just minor maintenance. The key to everything is the stoic air/fuel ratio. Flood with fuel and the cylinder cools and doesn't ignite properly. Too much air, and things over heat and will have an eventual melt down. Though I have seen and driven turbo'd 6.2s, they are much happier and last longer, also they can work hard as a son-of-a-***** without complaining. But change those fluids that cool and lube.

Ever since newbies discovered the Cummins engine in the newer Ram body style sometime after 94, they cursed and cut down anything that isn't. Oh they are a natural powerhouse that can and have powered everything from trucks, to tractors, to specialty rigs, but they are not the end all be all. The 6.2s (and 6.9s) have a weight advantage. I have found I can work a 6.9 a bit harder, but the 6.2 has a wonderful little thing called mileage in it's favor.

Just like any unit that transfers heat from either electricity or some kind of liquid fuel, heating/cooling cycles are what will sneak up on you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
William88

Members online