6.2 block in a 6.5

jeffgordon24

91 f250 kingcab 4*4
Reaction score
i got a 91 6.2lt block out of a pick up and want to install it in a 6.5 that is blown . i can bolt on everything except the 6.2 block doesnt have the feed line for the turbo in the block for the turbo . also i will have to change the front cover for the crank sensor . has anyone put a 6.2 instead of the 6.5 please help thanks

dieseldummy

Lost in time
Reaction score
I'm running the exact thing you mention. Some 6.2 blocks have the front oil line location. On the early ones that don't you can tap a port by the oil cooler line location or T off of the oil pressure sender. My last 6.2 based 6.5 I T-ed of the oil pressure sender port and it worked fine. Make sure that you use 6.5 head gaskets and change out the two piece rear main seal before you install it or you'll most likely have a leaker.

Other than those small things it's pretty straight forward. The 6.5 and 6.2 block are identical so no one will ever know by looking that you have a 6.2 instead of a 6.5.

BTW, some say that stock 6.2 pistons can't take over 1150 EGT's since they aren't coated like 6.5 pistons.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
My cousin has a 6.2 in his 93 GMC dually. He put it in when he blew the 6.5 pulling a trailer up a hill and broke the input shaft to the transfer case and the motor hit atleast 7 grand in an instant and shot rods out the block.