6.0 Head Studs

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where getting off tropic here, but its ok because its entertaining banter

Sorry, we did kind of slide in the ditch there, but I think we got your questions answered before we got all sideways.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
My first post here. I helped with the design of the first studs for the 7.3 idi at DPS. Ken asked for my help. I did what was needed. The studs were H11 and the strength was 270,000 psi. Anew stock bolt for the 7.3 idi I tested broke at 153,000 psi. So you can see how much better Kens studs were. I bought the first set and installed them in my 7.3 idi. They work great but... The ******* machine shop didn't install the stainless steel freeze plugs and one pops out at 2 miles. It cost me almost $300.00 to get it fixed. They told me to let them have first crack at it if it happens again.... It happened again but while pulling a 6% 15 mile grade. No coolant... No temp registering on the sender. Coolant temp stayed at 220 till the oil temp passed 330 degrees... Then motor froze up.,. Cracked both heads... Scuffed all piston skirts and the shop told me to pound sand......-cuss-cuss I rebuilt the motor again with new heads and reused the studs... Not a good idea. I found one laying in the driveway and another laying on the motor mount. So I now run the ARP 220,000 psi studs. They need to be torqued 5 times and loosened so the friction is normalized. They have what we need and will stand behind there product. I galled 6 studs to the nuts when I did my breakin torque and I was using their ARP lube. I liv 80 miles from the factory so I drove up and delt with 2 of their engineers for about 2 hours of information gathering. They know what they are doing... Period. Just follow the instructions and all will be fine. I boost to 10 lbs all day long without issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online