6.0 Head Studs

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine is doing head studs in his 6.0 truck. he has heard that the arp bolts aren't as strong as another companies studs, and was wondering witch company makes the stronger bolts. i just found some A1 head stud bolts, are these what hes probably talking about?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
If you look in the most recent issue of Diesel Power Magazine, they did a complete 6.0 PSD article that addresses all its problems. They made mention of the ARP studs and A1 H11 studs. The issue should be online right now and it includes EGR, fuel injection and all the other fixes needed to make the 6.0 PSD right.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive heard this ARP head stud debate before. I dont know what kind of HP and boost you need to push to break a stud with around 200,000 lbs of tensile strength? I put a set of ARP's in my 6.0 last fall. No problems with them so far.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Ive heard this ARP head stud debate before. I dont know what kind of HP and boost you need to push to break a stud with around 200,000 lbs of tensile strength? I put a set of ARP's in my 6.0 last fall. No problems with them so far.

The article made mention that the ARPs are plenty strong and unless you're pushing a lot of boost, the H11s are unnecessary.
After seeing the issues of the 6.0 totally exposed and written about I now have a better understanding about them; it's just unfortunate that IH should have done what needed to be done from the getgo so that the customers would not have to spend extra money to get them right.

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remember that harder alloys are also more brittle. There is a crossover point in durability for an everyday application and what works best in a race motor may not stand up to the constant heat cycling of a daily driver. While I understand that technically the H11 is stronger I would still use the ARPs as I believe their research probably pointed them to the material their using for durability over the long haul. That is my opinion.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the tensile strength of the h11's?

it is a shame IH did the 6.0s the way they did, overal they are a good motor, and i would take one over a 7.3

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
does anyone know the tensile strength of the h11's?

it is a shame IH did the 6.0s the way they did, overal they are a good motor, and i would take one over a 7.3

I think the H11's are 250,000 lbs tensile strength as opposed to the 200K of the ARP's.

I would like to see where the 7.3 would have evolved over the last 7 years if the EPA wouldnt have doomed it to be a dinosaur.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
It probably would have been configured with 4 valve heads, common rail injection and enough power to beat anything out there. It makes me mad thinking about it.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
|stupid

And probably still be as good if not better on the emissions thingy that all these new diesels on the road with the reburners and regen cycles that do nothing but lower MPG.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
The only other thing that would make the dream complete is a transmission that could take the torque. If we were to base it on where the current diesels are stock, it would produce something like 390hp and 740 ft/lbs of torque. Match that with a 3.08 gear, it would still be able to tow over 20000lbs in direct and probably hit 20-25mpg empty in O/D.
Maybe we need to get to Ford and IH and throw the idiots out on their backsides, and take over.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe we need to get to Ford and IH and throw the idiots out on their backsides, and take over.

Ford and IH (Cummins and Dodge, Isuzu and GM) were just complying with federal mandates. The ones who need to be ousted reside at the EPA.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where getting off tropic here, but its ok because its entertaining banter

but anyways, i think he is heart set on the h11s. Hes going to go with them and see how it goes. He told me last night he has heard of the arp studs actually stretching over time, i don't know how much time or if this is true, but i guess we will see what happens

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
where getting off tropic here, but its ok because its entertaining banter

but anyways, i think he is heart set on the h11s. Hes going to go with them and see how it goes. He told me last night he has heard of the arp studs actually stretching over time, i don't know how much time or if this is true, but i guess we will see what happens

Yeah, your buddy wants those studs in a bad way-Drool. Hey, it's the old "some is good, more is better and too much is just right" thing; but like one of the other posters said, after a certain point you have to worry about things getting brittle.

cm1hedge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What people fail to realize is that what is good on the race track is not necessarily good for the street.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online