6.0 intake box

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kudos to staying with it when this install kept adding parts and money. Great documentation and pics too

I wonder how feasible this would be on an OBS truck. Any comments on whether you think this would fit in an OBS engine compartment?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kudos to staying with it when this install kept adding parts and money. Great documentation and pics too

I wonder how feasible this would be on an OBS truck. Any comments on whether you think this would fit in an OBS engine compartment?
I am very sure that it would fit in an OBS, probably better actually. You are welcome to do this mod, but IMO it’s not worth it.

Had to make a bracket that the battery box bolts to, I took a 12” by 14” piece of sheet metal and bent it shortways so that I had a 12” by 8” piece for the tray to bolt to, and then the remaining 6” bolts onto the inside of the fender. And a 2x6 block of wood about 10-12” long screwed to the inside of the fender well under the battery. Also will need the intake hose from your 7.3 IDI, and you’ll need the 6.0 battery box, and cut it down all the way next to where the battery sits. And cut off the front of the intake horn that clamps onto the front of the filter. I am at work today, but can probably get some better pictures showing what has to be done.

The Hypermax turbo sits very very far back on the engine, so as far as connecting the filter system to your turbo, your mileage may vary. 093 kits will probably be easy to do this to. Banks and 088 kits might be a bit more difficult, and the Hypermax kit requires the inlet elbow from the plenum. But this is doable…

The battery sits up much higher now, hood clears, but not by much. Same story for the filter. But the Bullnose trucks have pretty short quarter panels, so this should be fine on an OBS or Bricknose.

This mod will probably be different for different trucks, you’ll probably have to get creative.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Where the red lines are on the intake horn and battery box, are where they must be cut.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am very sure that it would fit in an OBS, probably better actually. You are welcome to do this mod, but IMO it’s not worth it.
I thought the lower EGT and response were pretty nice results, especially considering folks who might not want to do an intercooler.

By the way: the filtration of the Donaldson 6.0 filter is considered to be some of the finest available, even being a 20 year old design. If you want to make sure your turbo and engine stays clean, this is a really good way to do it. I'm guessing you spent a little more time on this that you might have wanted to, but I think this is way better than the open element 6647 that most folks run. I can tell you that I'm about due for a new air filter and I'm considering doing this on my PSD.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the lower EGT and response were pretty nice results, especially considering folks who might not want to do an intercooler.

By the way: the filtration of the Donaldson 6.0 filter is considered to be some of the finest available, even being a 20 year old design. If you want to make sure your turbo and engine stays clean, this is a really good way to do it. I'm guessing you spent a little more time on this that you might have wanted to, but I think this is way better than the open element 6647 that most folks run. I can tell you that I'm about due for a new air filter and I'm considering doing this on my PSD.
What you are saying makes perfect sense to me. The EGTs only seem to be lower by about 100° at most. I still think I need an intercooler, but my EGTs are very high.

I also agree that the 6.0 PD has one of the best air filters out there.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boost definitely comes on much faster now.

And it may have taken awhile, but I did procrastinate on this for a pretty long time, and there are most definitely benefits to doing this. But it was pretty expensive, so I suppose it depends on the person and if they need the better flow, want the better filtration, and are willing to pay for it.

Rdnck84_03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6637. I don't like the look of the 6637 sitting open on the fender either. I will not be doing that to any of mine.
I have a wrecked superduty that I use as a farm truck that has the junk k&n version, I can't keep that stupid thing clean. I have never been a k&n fan either though.

James

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
6637. I don't like the look of the 6637 sitting open on the fender either. I will not be doing that to any of mine.
Ohh those filters. Yeah no thanks. I honestly don’t see how that is a cold air intake…
A cold air intake should be routed such that it is drawing air out from under the hood, so it is actually feeding the engine cold air

Booyah45828

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don’t really know. Came with it. I have it routed so it goes down below the radiator
I've asked that myself a few times over the years. Nobody has really given me a decent answer. In the 6.0, that pulls air from above the headlight, whereas the main one pulls air in from just below that and closer to the radiator. Never understood the need for 2.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

After quite a bit more driving with this setup, I have found that my EGTs now max out at 1150. But my cruising EGTs are still high. The more boost faster is very noticeable. This is expensive, and, up to interpretation, perhaps worth it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After quite a bit more driving with this setup, I have found that my EGTs now max out at 1150. But my cruising EGTs are still high. The more boost faster is very noticeable. This is expensive, and, up to interpretation, perhaps worth it.
One thing I was thinking of was the "holiday 50% off at the Pic-n-Pull", where you really might be able to score the battery tray as well as the air box cheaply. I know that most 6.0 PSDs get parted out before they get to the junkyard, but there's a lot of those trucks out there.

Either way: your install is super clean and I'm betting it could be done pretty efficiently regarding time thanks to your detailed documentation. Act like a politician and vote yourself a raise ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online