4x4 truck shakes

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i doubt it, but could be...
did you jack the front end up and move the pinion yoke whith both locked in?
if indeed the driveshaft is good, the n ext thing i would do is pull the diff cover and inspect.
could more than likely use a fluid change neways.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if indeed the driveshaft is good, the n ext thing i would do is pull the diff cover and inspect.

Ah poop. Oh well. I didn't jack it up yet. BBJordan suggested a similar test that I didn't end up doing so I guess that is my next step. I should be able to get that done tomorrow. Trying to get a 351,E40D, D44 3.54, transfer case, and interior pieces out of a rust bucket f250 by Saturday but my truck is sitting right beside all the tools and the jack so it would be difficult to find an excuse not to.

Okay, so here's my noob question for the day(even though I think I asked a noob question on the previous page): Is there an easy way to get at that damn differential? The D60 in the f350 is cut n dry. How do I get the cover off without tearing everything apart? Do I go at it from the front or back? I feel like I'm a ****** again....

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score

FYI, that Primus video you posted in your Retarded Timer thread was hilarious. Les Claypool has to be like one of 3 human beings to ever have a whammy bar installed on a bass guitar.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if GOD and Less Claypool, got into a fight, who would win?

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if GOD and Less Claypool, got into a fight, who would win?

Okay, it took me a few seconds because I was laughing too hard to type... Phew.... God would win of course, but Les would get cool points for gettin' in a couple shots with the bass. So I take it you're a fan?

I used to play bass a lot. I still have an acoustic bass layin' around that I mess with once in a while. My idol was Clif Burton but I also watched Geezer Butler, Flea, and Les. Pretty much anybody doin' anything different got my attention... Flea and Les taught me slap bass style.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TRICK QUESTION.
LES CLAYPOOL IS GOD!

cant help with the TTb questions, i steer away from them, with the rear tires!

HAHHAHAHA!!! Okay, now you're just talkin' CRAZY Lol. First Primus song I heard was Mud back in the 90's but Brown Beaver was one I remember hearing a lot too. He's a character. Goofy ass lyrics and videos. Genius bass player.

I was even youTube and web searchin' for TTB tear downs and I was unable to find anything where they were still on the truck and the owner wasn't tearing them down completely. I'll figure it out. Just have to figure in exploring time. Maybe it won't need to go that far. Will see this weekend.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cr@p I just discovered Primus's cover of The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Who'd-a thunk it?

Yeah, no direct experience, but with that TTB, you're pretty-much tearing it apart to get to the diff. I suppose if you're just changing fluid, you could shove a siphon hose into the fill hole. And IIRC, some fellas have cut a drain hole into the existing housing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
damn, ive been listening to Primus since 89, when my cousin took me to a little gig in Bezerkley.
PRIMUS SUCKS!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy cr@p I just discovered Primus's cover of The Devil Went Down to Georgia. Who'd-a thunk it?

Yeah, no direct experience, but with that TTB, you're pretty-much tearing it apart to get to the diff. I suppose if you're just changing fluid, you could shove a siphon hose into the fill hole. And IIRC, some fellas have cut a drain hole into the existing housing.

Okay. ****. I was afraid of that. And here I thought everyone swapped to solid fronts just to make their 250's into 350's.... So much to learn.....I miss my crew cab.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, ive been listening to Primus since 89, when my cousin took me to a little gig in Bezerkley.
PRIMUS SUCKS!

Sorry man, I'd love to chat about 80's and 90's musical influences but we should probably take it to the lounge at this point. It was a serious blast from the past to hear me some Primus though. HAhhaha good stuff, I appreciate it.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went through a round of crap with a bent/twisted drive shaft. I had a GMC 1500 years ago (don't burn me too bad) and I got rearended. I was in school at the time. Insurance was paying so I took it to the stealership and let them fix it. Well, a few months later I developed the classic squeak in the driveshaft... bad u-joint. It had enough miles on it I didn't think much about it. It was one of those ******** that used the injected plastic to retain the Ujoint from factory (the guy that designed that ought to be :shoot:) I ended up bending a yoke a little getting the joints out. I guess you'll have that beating them out in a parking garage. Anyway, I took it to a driveline guy in town to change the yoke and he stuck it in the lathe and spun it up and stopped it and said, what the F@#$% did you do to this thing? I had checked it rolling it on the floor but I couldn't see it mainly because it was more twisted than bent. AS it turned out, that wasn't the only thing that was still wrong after the wreck and I won't go to further details but suffice it to say after eating a t-case, replacing it and eating another, I got rid of it.

The moral of the story is it's really hard to tell the condition of a drive shaft unless you put it in a lathe or a balancer and spin it. Then the runout will become painfully obvious. It was really cool watching the guy straighten it though. He was good. I stood there and watched the dial gauge for the runout.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was one of those ******** that used the injected plastic to retain the Ujoint from factory (the guy that designed that ought to be :shoot:)

those are my favorite! i was changing u-jounts on a 70 chevelle one day, using a torch to melt the plastic, then POP! the cap flew off and cracked the windsheild.....cookoo

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I went through a round of crap with a bent/twisted drive shaft. I had a GMC 1500 years ago (don't burn me too bad) and I got rearended.
The moral of the story is it's really hard to tell the condition of a drive shaft unless you put it in a lathe or a balancer and spin it. Then the runout will become painfully obvious. It was really cool watching the guy straighten it though. He was good. I stood there and watched the dial gauge for the runout.

Okay, good info thanks! So is that something you would take to a machine shop to have done? Checking it I mean.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
machine shops dont typically have a lathe large enough to check it.
around here there are driveline specialty places.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online