4.0 v6 reliability

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddys got a 4.0 v6 5speed 2wd hell give me for my quad and its got 225k on it, how reliable are these. only need it as a commuter, beater in the spring summer to school.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah i dont think so. id probably do them though when i got it. my cousins got a shop that i use pretty freely. im employed under "part time mechanic" lol

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the over head valve engines had problems with cracking heads when overheated, if you do headgaskets make sure you have them checked out. also dont reuse the head bolts. also the gasket between the intake and fuel rail likes to blow in the back and usually throws up a p0171/p0174 code. other then that they were a tough engine.
the 4.0 sohc is another story all together, i think it started in 2003 but the cassate for the pass side timing chain like to come apart and make a hell of a noise. fun thing about the sohc engine, you have to remove the engine to replace the timing chains, 3 of them till i think 2003 then there are 4 timing chains. ive done a few timing chains on the 4.0 sohc. not fun at all.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the over head valve engines had problems with cracking heads when overheated, if you do headgaskets make sure you have them checked out. also dont reuse the head bolts. also the gasket between the intake and fuel rail likes to blow in the back and usually throws up a p0171/p0174 code. other then that they were a tough engine.
the 4.0 sohc is another story all together, i think it started in 2003 but the cassate for the pass side timing chain like to come apart and make a hell of a noise. fun thing about the sohc engine, you have to remove the engine to replace the timing chains, 3 of them till i think 2003 then there are 4 timing chains. ive done a few timing chains on the 4.0 sohc. not fun at all.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i heard the 2.9 likes to crack heads a little more that the 4.0 but ill check em out. im trading it for my quad which im not sure i wanna do. the quads alot of fun.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Early 4.0 OHV engines had head cracking and gasket problems1990-1993. Most got changed at the dealer under extended war. Lower intake gaskets were redesigned by felpro from the german originals and have replaced many Only OEM for intake gaskets. Ford got smart and went back to the original german design in 1994. be careful about air pockets in cooling system. good engine!! IMHO

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin