Timing, VCDS, and blah blah computers update

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting ready for a timing belt and water pump replacement on an '02 ALH. It's not necessary to check timing during a belt change but wanted to regardless. Finally got all the ducks in a row (belt kit etc) and the last piece was receiving the Hex-v2 obd2 adapter and getting the VCDS software running.
Hex-v2 arrived yesterday and spent most of the day trying to get my 2015 macbook running windows in a virtual env (vcds is windows only).

Blah blah computer chit but was able to find a windows 7 iso on internet archive and used it with virtual box v6 (had to downgrade from v7 which wasn't allowing windows to boot).

The windows 7 version works fine, haven't figured out how to use internet on there yet. Stored the VCDS .exe file in a Shared folder on the host computer and was able to import and run it in windows from there. Works well and everything ended up functioning as expected.

Timing seems to be in spec but slightly on the retarded side. Think i'll just keep timing as-is and adjust after the new belt is on.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I have to disagree, timing is adjusted by the pump pulley, which has to be loosened to r&r the belt. Any time I do a belt I always check pump timing. Closer to the middle line the better fuel eco will be. More advanced will give more power, but typically don't go above the top line.

Why go through all the trouble of running a virtual pc to run the cable? Or is it a compatibility issue? My cable is the hex can cable, works on all versions of windows so far.

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah don't have any windows os running at all outside the virtual env.

I wouldn't change the belt without timing the pump but in theory think one could get away with it (not keen to try)

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I've done probably 12 or so of these belts in the last few years, I went through a phase where I was building them like crazy and selling them to friends, family, ect. Out of all of them, I think I had two that timing was right on the money after base timing.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@rreegg what is your ALH getting for mpg currently?

Also if your on your 3rd belt change, get the high mileage kit and make sure to get new bolts for the motor Mount bracket that bolts to the motor on the acc side.

They also have non-stretch bolts now for the IP pulley, I recommend those.

I couldn’t agree more with @Nero about the importance of getting the static timing set on the graph.

“Anut” has a great timing procedure on TDIclub.

Anut timed my bug and I’d get 48 winter 52 summer religiously over 70k miles running the AC and passing at will.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry about the MAC troubles with VCDS. I run it on an old windows 7 computer that I don’t hook to the internet

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool to see some numbers on what the timing is like after a belt change. Most TDIs I see for sale it seem like, are right at a timing belt interval.

Will get around 43mpg mixed city/hwy and around 49 straight hwy - this is usually running around 50% b99 and the rest b0-10. The timing was basically right inbetween the middle line and the lower limit so room to advance but not in a rush to do so.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here there is pretty much no stop and go unless mud slides or an accident blocks the road.

Traffic always flows so we have ideal roads for mpg. 45-60 almost everywhere within 1 hrs drive.

I know the gal I sold my bug too dropped a couple mpg, but that could be driving style.

Let us know how the belt change goes

rreegg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything went well with the timing belt change et al. Pump timing was even within spec, just a tad advanced - pleasant surprise.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome to hear. As long as the timing is in the range, then I’d check mileage before adjusting again, or follow the procedure above. Nice job!!!

Now come do mine!! Except I need to do a BSM delete as well in 8k miles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online