3G 130A swap works wonders.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I have done the 3G alternator swap to my truck about 2 weeks ago and have yet to drive it any distance or at night, but now I can say WOW, what a difference it makes. The headlights are brighter than candles, the guage lights are not atleast barely readable and for some reason the radio works:dunno. Before the radio would fade in and out, you were constantly searching and adjusting for a station to come in, now I drove 30 some miles and never touched the radio. It plays clear and loud. I was prepared to break bad and buy an aftermarket with a CD player and what not, but looks like the old Ford AM/FM cassette will stay around for a little longer.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I love the 3g swap too. the nice part is just about any part store in the country will have parts for it in stock. I know the old style was fairly simple but when you have offroad lights, a big stereo, electric fuel pump/fans and a inverter the 3g is really nice.

Silver91Hatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.0L Taurus, 94-95 Mustang GT, some 3.8L T-birds. You will need to space the pulley if your running V belts, but other wire it just bolts up. The wiring isn't bad. I work on them all day so I made mine a "1 wire" version. 1 wire from the ignition switch for an "on" signal and one charging wire> Thats it. I am going to go back and redo all the wiring under the hood, well the passenger side fender well area anyways. I ahve way too much going on with the 6.9L AND 7.3L glow plug systems, high beam and low beam relays and now 3G stuff with all of the 1G regualtor, etc still in place. Its a wiring nightmare.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I didn't need to space my pulley at all. I had the center of the pulley cut out a little on the lathe to get more thread engagement on the shaft but other than that is was a simple swap. I used a factory alternator harness from a 94 IDI with a pad mount 3G.

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3.0L Taurus, 94-95 Mustang GT, some 3.8L T-birds. You will need to space the pulley if your running V belts, but other wire it just bolts up. The wiring isn't bad. I work on them all day so I made mine a "1 wire" version. 1 wire from the ignition switch for an "on" signal and one charging wire> Thats it. I am going to go back and redo all the wiring under the hood, well the passenger side fender well area anyways. I ahve way too much going on with the 6.9L AND 7.3L glow plug systems, high beam and low beam relays and now 3G stuff with all of the 1G regualtor, etc still in place. Its a wiring nightmare.

this, except mine didn't need spacing although it was serpentine pulley that i swapped out for a v-belt so IDK if that shimmed it for me

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah gotcha, i used the v-pulley off the old stock alt, but i may have spaced mine too I'll go check its been a while :rotflmao

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My V belt pulley hit the case when I put it on so I had to spacer it.

Ya goof, you don't space the pulley out cause the shaft's a bit on the short side as is, instead you take a die-grinder to the ribs on the alternator case. Least that's what I did, worked just fine

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
What Taurus model years were the 3G 130A? My mother used to have a little 96' Taurus and I keep wanting to say it had 100A alt.

Also, does anyone know how to get rid of that "exicter" wire crap? A local rebuild shop that did work on my John Deere's alternator did a great job and also got rid of it. I might have to ask him now that I'm curious how he did it lol