Engine swap

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now, do us another favor. On your new engine. Right up at the front, in between the drivers side head and the injection pump, there is a nice flat area that has a bunch of numbers on it. See if you can clean it off and read the numbers or take a picture, and post those up here. That will let us know what the engine is supposed to be internally. If we have this info, we can guide you to which flex plate you will need too.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey man! Awesome truck btw it's so nice and did you do a 3" down pipe? Also what should that part he called if I were to buy it new? Or does it have to be custom? Or is that one by chance for sale haha

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are talking to me, thanks for the compliments, if not, ummmmm never mind. :D

The banks sidewinder kits are 3 inch downpipe. That is what I have on my truck. You can order a banks down pipe that fits your factory ats turbo too.

That spacer is not available new. I think I have that one still. It's an old picture. I can look for you.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both of you're trucks are wicked nice! I'm up in mass and everything likes to rot but my truck was a southern truck thank god haha! And if you could it would be greatly appreciated! I unfortunately don't have the engine yet I'm getting it Sunday morning. But I do have a picture of the front of the engine and it has a tag and you can read some number off it. I'll post it

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The number will be facing up. You have to look straight down on it from above.

Should start with either 7.3t *******. Or 7.3d*******

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have a picture of that. I am buying the engine off a friend so ill ask him to look tomorrow for me. I have the numbers off a tag near the oil filler neck if that will help at all. Also the guy from my shop asked me that question. what is the difference? does it mean one was manual or automatic or something along those lines?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No. 7.3t tagged engines came from the factory with larger piston wrist pins. 33 mm to be exact and an oil cooler bundle with more tubes. I believe they had inconel exhaust valves as well.

7.3d tagged engines have 28 mm wrist pins.

The flex plate is weighted differently for the two based upon a different internal balance between the 2 different sets of Pistons and rods. That is important to know when you buy the flex plate you need.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay I got it. thank you for all the information! I asked him to look tomorrow so hopefully he will. if not I will know for sure Sunday

FastestIdIinthe707

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. As far as the down pipe goes I cut my factory elbo and welded on a 3" band. Looks that your motor has the 3" elbo aready.
You must be registered for see images attach

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
No. 7.3t tagged engines came from the factory with larger piston wrist pins. 33 mm to be exact and an oil cooler bundle with more tubes. I believe they had inconel exhaust valves as well.

7.3d tagged engines have 28 mm wrist pins.

The flex plate is weighted differently for the two based upon a different internal balance between the 2 different sets of Pistons and rods. That is important to know when you buy the flex plate you need.

The reason for a different flex plate is what he^ said, and here is why. Not only is the wrist pin larger, the bottom end of the turbo rods are quite beefy compared to non turbo rods. This extra weight being thrown around causes different engine dynamics than internal balancing can handle, so they added more weight on the flex plate (and probably the harmonic balancer, too). Use the correct parts and you are golden.

Ford86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the engine! but I looked for a tag and couldn't find anything. There was some Void stickers on the valve cover and some stickers near the oil filler neck. I am going to pull the 6.9 and measure how far the crankshaft sticks out and measure the same on the 7.3 and if they match up im just gonna get a new flex plate and throw her in. is there anything else I should do to the engine prior to putting it in. im gonna pressure wash and paint the engine, 3"down pipe, oil change and fule filter. oh also I ordered a oil filter for a 6.9 before I knew I was gonna get a 7.3 and I never used it. I cross referenced one company of oil filters between the two companies and they were the same. do you guys think ill be able to use that oil filter? also if there is more specific pics you guys would like its now at my house so I can take pictures of anything that will help. thank you

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you're looking for an engine serial number, unless it's a reman, it's not a tag. It's just digits/letters stamped into the top surface of the block, driver's side, just aft of the IP. Probably covered in crud. IIRC, on the 7.3s, that's the number that will have the D or T after the "7.3".

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First welcome...

Ze ond search iz yer best friend here...

Third to the poster stating TURBO ENGINES ARE TIMED DIFFERENTLY that is incorrect..they are timed in the same manner as an NA however the setting may be different. Regardless timed at 2000 rpm and o #1 or #4 cyl and about 8.5 to 10.5 for pulse method.....

You will need a crank spacer for flex plate....listen to the folks here...shop teacher showing u a 289 is silly....may as well shown u a chain saw...these are a different engine.

Hope it works well for you and more pi s of tru k!!!

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is a I tire of what you are looking for. This is a picture looking straight down the back side of the injection ump tower. You can see the drivers side ip tower bolt in there. Then the front of the valley pan too. It is stamped into the block at that location.

Also, if you are interested, I have the correct flexplate spacer you will need. PM me for a price if you are interested, but just so you know up front, it won't be cheap. They are pretty hard to come by and this is my last one.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And your oil filter will work for either engine, though a lot of us use the large filter used on 94 and better engines.

Last edited: