35 spline of 37 spline axle.

sponge

Reaction score
I just bought my first diesel.. A 2001 Dodge Cummins 24v..Love this truck.. but, the traction sucks really bad..I use it for light hauling and for going back and forth to cabin and work... I was looking at Powertrax Lock Right..<seems the price is right and, heard alot of good things about it.>. My question is:... does any body know the spline count i have in my axle. is it 35 or 37 count?. Also, if anybody has used Powertrax in any of there trucks, and if there worth the $$?

2001 Dodge 2500
6 speed
stock as hell. lol..

Thx You.

2500cummins

Reaction score
It should be a Dana 80 hybrid with 35 spline axles.

The 2500 auto trans trucks have Dana 70s, the manual trans 2500 and all 3500 have Dana 80 hybrid, the hybrid is an 80 center with 70 hubs.

Specs here: http://www.dodgeram.org/tech/specs/axle/rear_axle.html

From a post on TDR

"... every 2nd gen Dana 70 carrier I have changed, or swaped gears in have been 32 spline axle shafts, 1.41 O.D.
I have heard of 35 spline, 1.5 axle shafts, but not come across one yet.

The Dana 80 has 35 spline, 1.5 axle shafts."

sponge

Reaction score
Thank you for the url and information 2500cummins. :) I will start savin my pennies now......That was a spec filled website which i bookmarked for future reference's ....

thx again ...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I gots me one of them installed on my truck - works like a charm at making both tires churn. I had planned on pulling it out because when in parking lots at slow speeds the truck will lurch forward making for an uncomfrontable ride from time to time. I was about ready to yank it out a month or so back but finally I learned how to drive the truck so that it does not happen as much - basically what I had to learn to do was keep a slight bit of pressure on the go pedal while making the turn and take the turn gradually now I can turn around on pavement just about as tight as I want without having the bucking effect - I can hear the rear end click but it doesn't buck and kick. but yep you should have the 70/80 hybrid (70 shafts with 80 carrier - 35 spline) best price I found on it was Jegs for $399 takes about 4 hours to install - you will end up pulling the carrier (but not the pinion so no backlash set up is needed). Just slide the axle shafts out far enough to drop everything out - take the side gears out and set them on the bench and slip the locker parts in place then shove the axle shafts back in place - bingo your on the road with both rears turning.

I have towed our 31ft TT with this setup and it does a beautiful job. Now what I have found is when you want to play like your in a sports car it will roll both tires over but sadly the dodge suspension does not like it so you will get axle wrap/wheel hop so be aware that when this happens you need to get out of throttle because as the axle snaps back in to place is when things get broken like u-bolts, springs and the like... haven't done it on this truck but a truck I had years ago (84 Ramcharger) was notorious for breaking u-bolts during axle wrap situations, but it was lifted so everything was amplified...

Since relearning how to drive with a lock right locker in the back I love mine.

sponge

Reaction score
lol.. thx you argve, well. i'm 56 and had to relearn to drive something more then a 3 speed on the column here also. lol.. but .thx you for your advise. and thats what i thought... drop the carrier and go from there...... thx you again argve's .... :) And by the end of the month. i should have some traction ...

steved

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had bad experiences running a lockright in a daily driver...they tend to ride tooth-to-tooth and it wears them out after a while...meanwhile the chips of worn (and hardened) metal are getting pumped through your bearings...

I replaced the pinion bearings in my 95 1500 3 times because of lockrights (they all operate the same)...I would never own another "lunch box" locker...spend the money on a full case detroit...

steved

sponge

Reaction score
hmmmm, really.... thats not good at all.. ... i sitll haven't baought one yet, was just waiting for ppls imput..... thx you for the advice steve. :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin