24V Cold WeatherPowersteering Fluid Options

lazermule

Reaction score
I have a 2002 24v 2500 4x4 with 70K miles on it. Since it was new, I have had the same high whining sound when it was cold and moderate feed back in the wheel as many others have reported. This morning, it wasn't even as cold as the last few mornings and when I started it and the power steering and power brakes were non-existent for 3-5 minutes while it warmed up.

So my question is, is the fix for this as simple as just adding synthetic power steering fluid? Can one use synthetic ATF like Amzoil or Mobil 1?

Thanks,

LAZER

Whit

Reaction score
I use the synthetis ATF from Amsoil and it works real good

I pulled the lower hose and refilled with synthetis and had a hell of a time getting the air out of the system...........I recommend just getting a turkey baster and sucking all ya can then refill with the new.............drive it for a day then do it again

sure helps the cold whine go away

Batman

Reaction score
I also used synthetics and have found a drastic improvement. I went with Mobil 1 PS Synthetic.
HTH

lazermule

Reaction score
Thanks Whitmore, I was planning on just sucking it out with a suction gun and doing it again later as you say.

Just wanted to make sure no one was having any trouble after switching fluids. What will it take if I suck it out 1 quart? 2 quarts?

Whit

Reaction score
Mobil 1 syn power steering fluid......................I would go that route over the ATF, I didnt know of the Mobil stuff...thanks man

Batman

Reaction score
Valvoline makes a synthetic PS fluid also that works well.;Sweet

lazermule

Reaction score
I sucked out as much as I could get from the res with a suction gun which amounted to be about 1/2 quart. I replaced that 1/2 quart with Mobil 1 ATF. It already has made a difference as the cold whining has stopped. I will do it again soon to up the concentration on synthetic in it.

Batman

Reaction score
Why didn't you go with PS fluid?

Anyway, the way I flushed mine is as follows:
1. Use a turkey baster to suck out as much as possible
2. fill with new fluid
3. start truck and turn wheel lock to lock a couple times
4. repeat steps 1-3 until fluid looks like it is all new

hth
g