2000 stroker is dead

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe my 2001 7.3 moves the tach until it starts. I can head outside and check for sure though.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Just to verify, does the 99+ SuperDuty 7.3 Trucks register on the tach? I know on the 94.5+ OBS PSD's register, but do the SuperDuty's? My 03 6.0 PSD does not show anything on the tach until it starts. Just want to make sure it should be moving. I've only driven an OBS PSD and my PSD, not a 7.3 PSD in a SuperDuty.

Pre 2002 will show movement at the tach while cranking.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I just wanted to reply on your comment about checking fuses with the key on. Hopefully you aren't just jumping across them.
Pull them then check.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

NHBaler

Reaction score
OK I have checked everything and still nothing,I have another truck which is a 99 and changed out some parts but nothing and I did notice that a breaker was missing under the dash so I got the one from the other truck and turn over the tach moved just a hair and it was turning over fast so I thought maybe the ignition switch but that didnt help. If I take this truck to the Ford place can they scan it while it is not running and maybe tell what codes it says? Had another shop do this and he couldnt come up with nothing. Please Help

NHBaler

Reaction score
I tested them with a test light with them still plugged in and had fire on both sides,is this wrong?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Technically yes, but sort of depends what tester you're using. Can give a false reading with a blown fuse because power trying to go through can make the tester pick up a signal.
Best to pull them and ohm across.

NHBaler

Reaction score
No but it is tightif I am seeing the right one. I think it is behind the fuel filter but havent found a tin nut like some have mentioned that can get loose

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be Mia. Looked down to the drivers side of the fuel filter. Probably need a frashfright.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
No but it is tightif I am seeing the right one. I think it is behind the fuel filter but havent found a tin nut like some have mentioned that can get loose

The IPR is on the back of the HPOP, similar location to where the Injection Pump on an IDI would be. It's a canister-looking thing down in the valley. Take a look at those pictures that got posted earlier and you should be able to find yours, too.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
You know what? The more I think about it... check the oil level. Change it with brand new if the mileage is suspect for anything over 3000 miles on it. These engines are really ******* oil, and as an (un-intended) fail safe, they cannot run when they are low on oil. So old oil, or low oil can cause all sorts of problems for no good reason.

Also, maybe the UVCH's are bad? If one is completely dead, it would be extremely hard to start that engine. They'll run on just one bank, but it's super choppy and sputter-y. Pull your valve covers off and see if any wires are burned up or if a connection came undone.

NHBaler

Reaction score
Thanks for that info,I am going to find thatIDM and make sure the nut is on it and the oil is full but would need changing and yes the mechanic did pull the valve covers and I think he did have to fix a couple of wires that were in question I will keep you guys posted and we will get it running with yalls help

NHBaler

Reaction score
Forgot to ask but I use Rotella 15-40 will that be alright?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Should be okay. Would go thinner if it gets cold there.
Seems some people hate Rotella in there powerstroke, some like it.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Should be okay. Would go thinner if it gets cold there.
Seems some people hate Rotella in there powerstroke, some like it.

I'm one of those that hates it. I use DELO or the Valvoline conventional diesel oil in mine. Rotella just never seemed to last as long as it should have for me. That company did itself a dis-service when it changed it's recipe for making oil.