2" body lift, the aftermath

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Guys if I knew what I was getting into I would have made plans. The cab mounts are no difficult to remove, they are beyond belief hard to get out. I used the sawzall and that helped but they sure are spongy too. I didn't need to remove them but since I bought the polyurethane set then I just replaced them, the lift kit was the easy part but unfortunately they sent Me the wrong nuts. There are 7/16 and 1/2 inch bolts but they considered it was good to just send Me 1/2 inch nuts :mad: anyway I got around that and I must say the truck looks totally different with this new lift and wow there is lots of room between the up/down pipes and firewall :love: .

I encountered problems so far,

1- I need some acoustic floor mat to reduce noise (I don't like cab noise by any means), anywhere on-line or maybe I can just by it at some carpet place local???

2- the transmission shifter boot does not work well around with this kit so I had to unscrew it for now so I could shift with more comfort, is there something any of You would suggest about this?

Also I could not re-install the old muffler since it would hit the cab (I have stacks) so I decided I would install a different one and came back with a 4" flexible pipe (like the ones on semi's) that I connected directly to the pipe (no muffler) now it is straight 4" after the turbo until the 5" I use for the stacks. I sound's excellent, the stacks leave the noise behind every time I floor it (occasionally :D I do) but I still get to hear it well.

Thank You all for the good tips on how to do it, it really did help. I will try and get a video so You can also hear how it sounds.

ramon f350

Reaction score
I was always concerned about the core support. everytime I have talked to someone about a body lift that is what I hear. is the fan will end up getting into the core support. how did you over come this problem or did you have this problem?

Ramon

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I was always concerned about the core support. everytime I have talked to someone about a body lift that is what I hear. is the fan will end up getting into the core support. how did you over come this problem or did you have this problem?

Ramon

Core support was a piece of cake and fan shroud was even easier, just cut the area around the lower rad hose (this is the only thing on the way) about 2 inches from the bottom, center the fan in the fan shroud and drill new holes for the top clips with a 5/16 bit, secure the fan shroud to the top clips. Now You have to cut a small area on the curved lip on the rad support at the bottom so You can drill another hole for the lower clip screw and that is it fits just fine and You didn't even have to remove the shroud to do modify it.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Exekiel69 said:
1- I need some acoustic floor mat to reduce noise (I don't like cab noise by any means), anywhere on-line or maybe I can just by it at some carpet place local???

Ez, that is an unfortunate downfall to the urethane bushings. They transfer mor noise into the cab and af course aver road bump and vibration also.-cuss
I've learned to get used to it after going crazy chasing every little vibration.

Noise dampeners did help. I used some Dynamat when I redid Goldie last year but that stuff is salty. There are others out on the market that are less expensive that do the same thing.;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
EZ, congrats on the mod. Here's a couple of thoughts. Firstly, I'm not sure why your shifter boot would give you trouble, but if you have unscrewed it, that is where most of your new noise is coming from. You'd be surprised how much quieter it is with that screwed down. The other thing to check, is how your firewall and the drivers side head are getting along. A 2" lift puts the two in intimate contact, and a 3" lift will file for divorce. If they are rubbing hard, this is where more of your noise will be coming from. I'm pretty sure this is the reason why these kits say "not for diesel" on them. I don't think the core support is the reason. You can relocate the shroud like EZ did, or you can just trim the shroud at the bottom. there is no danger of the fan ever hitting the core support because it is too far forward. I didn't notice any real increase in noise with the urathane bushings. What you do loose though is some flexibility. Consequently the cab will creak from the additional twisting. EZ, how did you decide how much to tighten the bolts? Also, on your kit when your speaking about the nuts, you do realize they expect you to re-use some of those factory nuts (the ones with the big washers welded to them) which are the correct size.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Ron thank You too, I will ask napa if they have something like this today or I'll just order from the link Joe said.

Mel, yes You are right, the head/firewall noise I did notice that one before but didn't change it thinking it needed to sit :rolleyes: , well when I started the cab it sound like a recording studio for metallica :eek: . The crowbar **** care of that but I still hear the engine too much and yes the boot is one of the causes. We'll see how it changes once I install the sound pad in it and relocate the boot since it would rube against the floor and the shifter every time I wanted to put is on 2nd making it unsafe to shift.

Thank You All.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered some dynamat clone stuff from summit did the whole floor, what a difference, plus with a body lift you can leave the firewall pad on, I screwed a ps heat shield behind the turbo. I have a pic somewhere.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be interested to see how you resolve the shifter issue. I know the 4X4 lever is a problem on trucks so equipped.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had no issues with the shifter-boot; it just went straight up the pole a little.

Once you get that Cummins in there, you will have miles of room and nothing will be vibrating against the fire-wall.

Some of the guys, over at DTR, have found a replacement for Dynamat in the roofing section of LOWES.

Some kind of window sill insulation, or somesuch.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I had no issues with the shifter-boot; it just went straight up the pole a little.

Once you get that Cummins in there, you will have miles of room and nothing will be vibrating against the fire-wall.

Some of the guys, over at DTR, have found a replacement for Dynamat in the roofing section of LOWES.

That is what I wanted, Thank You.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score

Water and Ice is one of the trade names for the stuff. Never tried it on a vehicle yet.:D

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Went to lowe's today and could not find it, everyone had Me waiting looking for TIM (he knows about that stuff) turns out Tim stop working there about 2 months ago ***-cuss they should know what they have in the store :mad: I usually go to home depot when I need some things since the lowe's is far away for Me, well it felt just like Home depot and I told the manager what I thought (he didn't like it) but anyway I'll order some on-line that is made for sound insulation. Thank You guys.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and I told the manager what I thought (he didn't like it)

LOVE THAT ! if we dont say something it just builds up then some idiot gets really hollered at, it seems there is no priority on customer service anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online