1995 did or didn't

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's going on with the rims on it too? DRW in the back And SRW in the front?

yes jake i was looking that over also. does that 4x4 setup look like it came from the factory or thats a make shift setup? i was looking at the rtuck thinking i could put a flatbed on it and install a fifthwheel hitch to pull my camper when i go to the hunting lease. the roads on the lease get real muddy sometimes and you have to wait till everything dries up before i bring the 5er in. it doesnt realy matter to me if its a ps or not just as long as it has a turbo lol. im waiting for the owner to respond back to me with a contact # so i can talk to him and find out all the details on the truck.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having single wheels on the front is not really an issue but it could possibly mean the truck wasn't a dually before. Personally I don't rotate the tires on a dually anyway and I think they look better with regular wheels on the front so thats how I would set mine up. I have seen a few people do that.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well seeing if nit was just a regular srw 4x4 in its prevous live and they added a duelly rearend, as long as you run the same gears and the same size tire on front and back it souldnt be a issue right. if they added the duelly rearend and its not the same gear ratio as the front it tends to put alot of strain on the running gear possibly enough to take out the transmission, but tends to put more stress on the axles, driveshafts, and transfer case.

fx4wannabe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it has to be the same gears front and rear. If not the first time you put it in 4wd you are gonna be having problems.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive been raised around 4x4s my whole life and ive seen lots of people mix two different size tires on front and back and not have a clue as to the future results theyll have. makes me cringe everytime i see it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I could see an IDI being available in 96 and 97 but they would have most likely been in the fleet trucks, vans or special service vehicles. For the record it would be really cool to see one.

I would agree with the IDI being a special service vehicle in the later years (96-97). I know that the 6.0L was discontinued in the F-Series trucks with the 07 model year and replaced with the 6.4L. However in the E-Series ambulances, they still have the 6.0 in the 08 and 09 model year, really strange to see the new nose and hear a 6.0 ratteling behind it.....

Last edited:

ne_plus_ultra_1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The turbo was offered in the last half of the 93 year. You could also order an 94 psd motor in the end of the 93 year but it still would have been a 94 truck. Then the 94 year only offered the psd... No idi or turbo idi.... The turbo idi motor was only offered for a 6 month time frame. I have never seen or heard of a 94, 95, 96,or 97 idi truck turbo or not... You guys that have this information need to show where it came from....

Nope. The IDI turbo was available for 2.5 years. I have one from a 1995 truck. I bought it out of a wrecked truck with a little over 300K on it.

Ford knows the truck exists even if the aftermarket doesn't.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I've had two '94 IDI's. It's my understanding that the NA, the turbo and the PS were all available that year. The automatic only came on the IDI's, and the 5 speed came on the PS. My first 94 came with all the paper work and a PS manual.
Jim

and JIM--you are correct----inspite of others opinions otherwise--the auto only came on the psd in the later part of 95--they were having tq problems with it holding--

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Nope. The IDI turbo was available for 2.5 years. I have one from a 1995 truck. I bought it out of a wrecked truck with a little over 300K on it.

Ford knows the truck exists even if the aftermarket doesn't.

I would be more inclined that someone swapped in the IDI or changed cabs even then it being a 95 IDI.

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be more inclined that someone swapped in the IDI or changed cabs even then it being a 95 IDI.

Check the VIN. There's a motor list somewhere on here that shows a 5.9 Cummins as an option. Probably not something available in US due to emissions.

1320Cummins

Pro Parts Thrasher
Reaction score
An IDI in 95 would make since being that the new emission regs that the PSD was created for were not put into effect till 96. 99 was the next year again in 03 and on and on... I am sure the IDI was still used over seas and maybe for the military due to simplicity and cost. I was watching some movie with the boss lady the other day and a Chevy shuttle bus they used for a scene had the rattlin 6.5 behind the grill:eek: the van was like 03+ (had raptor front) Turns out the movie was made mostly in Jamaica I believe.

johnnyb1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not to get off subject but a company I worked for a few years ago had 95-98 PSD trucks and one old idi. We were constantly working on wiring issues on the PSD. Like when they changed over they got the harness from china or something. Maybe just our trucks.Don't know if problem got fixed. But I've always liked simple,reliable idi. Just my opinion.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
IMO that truck is prolly a *******. It looks like it's had some body parts swaps done to it?

AFAIK there were NO IDI's after 11/94. So technically there could be a 95 IDI. But it would have been built in 94.

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two '94 IDI's. It's my understanding that the NA, the turbo and the PS were all available that year. The automatic only came on the IDI's, and the 5 speed came on the PS. My first 94 came with all the paper work and a PS manual.
Jim

I've got a factory ZF in my '94 IDI Turbo?

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's pretty interesting ;Sweet

I could see an IDI being available in 96 and 97 but they would have most likely been in the fleet trucks, vans or special service vehicles. For the record it would be really cool to see one.

My guess would be if it were available that late, it would have been in the super duty. High GVW vehicles have different emissions regs, and the IDI was probably still an option for those trucks. Just because it was listed on the order sheet doesn't mean it was available in every model.
Travis..