1995-1997 vs 1999-2002

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys... I am currently looking at this 1997 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long bed 7.3L Diesel and I just want to know the differences between this truck and the newer 7.3L diesels. I thought that these 95' to 97' 7.3Ls don't have intercoolers and the 99'-02's 7.3Ls do and smaller turbos but I'm not sure.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the engine differences other than the '99 - '03 7.3 had more factory HP & TQ and a better tranny behind it than the '94 - '97 OBS trucks..... the 4R100 vs the E4OD aka the E4DOA trannyLOL .

Superduty F350s ride much better, are a lot more comfortable, are much quieter inside and cost more to repair than the OBS F350s

I've had a '90, an '00 and now an '06 ... all F-350 duallies all good trucks.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
OBS PSD's have non-wastegated turbo's, while later 7.3's have wastegated (99-02). I personally love the style of the OBS trucks, but I'm biased because we used to own one for 8 years (95 F350 4x4 7.3/E4OD CC SRW). The only thing wrong with the tranny we had on it was the torque converter crapped out on us. And instead of just replacing that to stock specs we upgraded it, had the tranny gone through, and put a shift kit in it. We also had to pull a head because we had a glow plug swell and broke off in the combustion chamber (my fault, I was taking them out). Other than that it was probably the best truck I have ever been around, I really should have boughten it off of them.

But the newer trucks will ride better, be more powerful, nicer interior ect. But hey will cost a bunch more. And yes OBS psd came non intercooled.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I don't see why people have problems with the ride of the OBS.......
I've driven mine back and forth across the country, and didn't mind it a bit. And it's even missing the front passenger side shock.

Oh, and the 94-97 have single shot injectors. The 99-03 have split shot, which are quieter and cleaner burning. Popular opinion seems to say that the single shots are better for mileage and power. I think the 99-03 did away with the UVC wiring harness for the glow plugs as well, a definite plus.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
97 California models are split shots. The 99+ SD's went to one UVC connector per side rather than two connectors per valve cover.

The ride and creature comforts in the SD's are hands down better than the OBS's but with that said, the ride in my 95 was tolerable and the more you loaded it the better it rode.

JMF350

Reaction score
The ride and all around drive of a '99 and newer are ALOT better than the '97 and older F350's. A buddy of mine bought a 97 F350 to pull a 47' enclosed race trailer. 7.3, 5 spd, 2wd, x-cab dually. He kept it 1 1/2 years then bought an early 99 (02/99), 7.3, 6 spd, 2wd, crew cab dually. The 99 was hands down more comfortable, more power, better handling etc. I'm so glad I bought it from him:D

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see why people have problems with the ride of the OBS.......
I've driven mine back and forth across the country, and didn't mind it a bit. And it's even missing the front passenger side shock.

Oh, and the 94-97 have single shot injectors. The 99-03 have split shot, which are quieter and cleaner burning. Popular opinion seems to say that the single shots are better for mileage and power. I think the 99-03 did away with the UVC wiring harness for the glow plugs as well, a definite plus.

My '90 F350 dually beat me to death driving on long distance runs. I have severe arthitis and could barely walk after a hunded mile stretch because of the beating. Makes for a very long painful trip. That said I can't knock the truck about anything else because she ALWAYS got the job done... Slow and steady and always ready;Sweet

Both of my Superduty duallies ride so nice I can run 250 - 300 miles nonstop before needing a *** break and am still able to walk when I get out of the truck. One reason they ride better is the leaf springs are longer. They made them even longer again on the '08 models.

99 - 03 superduties all have the UVC harness... If they didn't the couldn't run because this harness also fires the injectors.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Never said the stooper duties don't ride better, i'm just saying my OBS has always been pretty tolerable, and i've never minded it. I can understand Tonka's position though. Arthritis has to kill.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go back to an OBS if I had too. I'd go back to any bodystyle Ford truck.

Over the last 22 years I've had a '76 F100, '82F150, '85 LTL9000, '90 F350 dually, '00 F350 dually and now the '06 F350 dually. All were great Ford trucks that never let me down.

Drive the '97 and find a '99 up to drive, see which offers YOU the comfort and goodies you need of want and make your decision from that. IMHO Ford makes a great truck that'll work hard for you for many years....

My '76 F100 is still on the road being driven daily by a buddy of mine, we lost track of how many times the odometer rolled over years ago.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Definitely. I've driven my friend's 02 PSD, and it was :thumbsup:
Good ride, tracked much nicer than my truck which does require more steering input.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had both and would trade my obs for a sd anyday
I havent had my SD long enough to make that statement yet (especially considering I went 6.0) becasue my OBS was just such a solid easy machine to understand and very difficult to break.

On the athstetics and comforts side of it I whole heartedly agree though.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I just looked at a 01 today...if this divorce was over with, it would be sitting in my driveway. The guy gave me what I consider to be a great price, the truck is like new with low miles and the interior is like new except for one little tear. It is a crew cab, F350 4X4 with the Lariat package.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I just looked at a 01 today...if this divorce was over with, it would be sitting in my driveway. The guy gave me what I consider to be a great price, the truck is like new with low miles and the interior is like new except for one little tear. It is a crew cab, F350 4X4 with the Lariat package.

:eek: what the... now i've seen everythingLOL

if i was to do it again i'd choose OBS IDI:D. they are cheaper to own that's the bottom line for me. once they run up past 100k and the chassis needs work the OBS is cheaper. give me a solid front axle F350 CC 4x4 5 speed. dual fuel tanks for easy WVO use. timeless looks. ;Sweet

comfort wise i'm with the crowd, SD is hands down the most comfortable truck on the market, for a tall guy like me. the 8 way power buckets are awesome. add the half doors on the SC and it makes for a sweet work truck, especially if you get an early SD that has the rear seat that folds into a flat shelf. compared to a new truck payment i'm still ahead even with repairs. and people are still surprised it's a '99

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
:eek: what the... now i've seen everythingLOL

Ahh, shut up! :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

Seriously though, this is the first Ford (other than mine) that I have driven and liked. I have been driving several Cummins and like I said in the other post, you guys are a WAY bad influence!!!

I have driven 4 other SD's and loved the ride and power (both 7.3 and 6.0, but prefer the 7.3) and this one is no exception. The others I have driven all felt like balancing a basketball on a the end of a broom handle, but this one seems to handle VERY well. It also is the first F350 of this vintage I have driven, the others were all F250's, and I assume the "feel" of this one is the solid axle. I have four vehicles, two of which the hex has in her possession. She was ordered to return both or finance them in her name and out of mine. She says she won't, so they said give them back. One is a full size van that I want to sell and will probably sell the daily driver, get a crew cab diesel and a small gas mizing daily driver. I should have a pretty good fleet with those three, my 87 IDI to work with, something like the 01 to vacation and play in and then my daily driver that gets something better than 20 MPG...that 100 miles per day sucks at $3.25 a gallon and 20 to 24 MPG.

So, here's to getting this divorce settled so I can get a new toy! We had a meeting last week and are VERY close to having it done, I think. The ex to be keeps changing her mind, so who knows! :dunno

If you Ford boys don't want me in your ranks, speak up, I'll find a Dmax or Cummins! :thumbsup: And if I buy this one or something like it and the firewall cracks, I am going to set the damn thing on fire!!!

So, those of you in the know, what should I be looking for wrong with this thing if I get serious about it? I know the guy who owned it, yeah, the little old man that only used it for groceries...actually he drove it for about what I want to drive it for, vacation, etc. but it was parked in a garage the rest of the time. It is an automatic, which is really what I want for a vacation type vehicle, has a Rhino Liner spray in bed liner and a fifth wheel/gooseneck hitch that hasn't been used according to the guy that owned it from new. It is one owner, I had a buddy run a listing on it and all Ford service work has been performed by the dealership where the guy lives, so I assume that is good. The engine compartment looks as if new just like the rest of the truck. He just put a new glow plug relay on it as well. Anything else obvious I should look for? I drove it for about 2 hours today and LIKE IT! ALOT!

Besides, I figure this would be a cool ride to drive out to Mike's for that hunting trip he doesn't know he is taking me on this fall!!! :)

Last edited: