1995-1997 vs 1999-2002

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
fwiw SD f250s and 350s 4x4s all have solid front axles. the 2wds have a twin i beam ifs i think.

mine's an early '99 which has it's own set of issues that were ironed out by '01. but for the sake of discussion here is the history of my '99 since i've had it.

-bought it in july 06, 125k for $13,800
-replaced torque converter (early '99 rattle issue) $1000+
-2 batteries
-replaced rear leaf springs (had to do this on my IDI as well when i got it. both trucks had a hitch in the bed) ford springs crack with age $300, did it myself
-water pump at 135k $200+, did it myself
-both front wheel bearings ($200ish each and i did the work) then replaced one again under NAPA warranty
-alternator (wire rubbed thru and shorted out, fried the alt) $100+ easy as pie to swap out
-front axle joints and glow plugs (regular maintenance after 150k miles)$40+ EACH for the UJs but i got the GPs on sale, paid Nick to coach/help, well more like i helped
-needs injectors now at 160k, got a miss $1150:mad:
-driveline vibe, i'm guessing carrier bearing needs replacing:confused:
-DIY intake and 4" stainless exhaust helped power but not fuel economy (gotta be the injectors)$450
-other stuff i cant remember but that's the big stuff

all i can say to you is open up your wallet. they are nice trucks but they'll 2-3-500 you to death as they age. and thats not counting mods (or fuel)(or $80 oil changes)

but they all have their problems. can you say Dexcool:puke:? my SIL has a dodge, i lost count how many steering parts she's had replaced in the 60k miles its got on it.

this site and the people here are the reason i stayed with FERD

come join us, you know you want to;Poke:Thumbs Up

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
fwiw SD f250s and 350s 4x4s all have solid front axles. the 2wds have a twin i beam ifs i think.

Oh, I thought the F250 was a IFS front end. Well, there is definetely something different, well, at least how they drive. I looked at an 04 (I think) King Ranch, F250 and liked the truck, and it had like 20,000 miles on it and a 6.0, which scared me. It drove like a bucket though and I promptly took it back and said no thanks. I can't imagine anything was worn out causing the problem, but it drove very poorly.

I know that Dodge seems to have some front end part issues on some trucks, but not on others. I have worked on a few of the Lemon ones and had to replace part after part when I ran the tire shop. They just seemed to EAT front end parts on those particular trucks. One was brand new with like 10,000 miles on it and had several parts totally shot. It was road driven and used by the boss of an electrical contractor (never hauled anything, he just rode in it from site to site). He hated it and promptly sold it and about 5 others he had purchased for service trucks and bought all new Fords...sucker! :)

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
If you get the Super Duty, the ball joint issues can probably be taken care of for a long time by replacing them with MOOG parts instead of OEM. From what i hear, MOOG ball joints are a LOT better than the stock Ferds. A lot of the other stuff seems like normal maint for a truck with over 100k on it.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
when it comes to hight mieleage used PSD's OBS or SD there is gonna be work / parts involved, I have had 3 OBS, and have 2 now, so far all 3 needed injectors, glow plugs, gp relay, trans parts, front end work, etc.
a used SD would likely need the same stuff.
I had a 99 SD before v-01 gasser, drove it 25k didnt do a thing to it other than stereo and looks stuff.
got my 00 psd , drove the wheels off of it did lots of towing being my camper, car trailer or 35-39 ' campers, even towed a 40' park model., did lots of upgrades as far as trans, turbo, fuel system ,. etc, never needed a cps, brakes lasted till 50k, had to put 1 wheel brng on it, that was it
if I wouldnt have rolled it at 75k, I probably would still have it.
it was the best/most comfortable tow rig I had.

My 96 SC I had I hated from day one, sat lower, seat sucked, sloppy feel going down the road

my 96 CC is growing on me, but everytime i get to drive a SD I want another.

especially after running this hopped up 6.0 Ive been working on.(500+hp)

of course for a really nice one the 08 the quarry got cant be beat.

Pino2234

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for the feedback, I am actually looking at a 1986 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Long bed with a basically brand new (50k) 6.9L diesel crate motor and newly (40K) rebuilt transmission. The guy says the drivetrain is bulletproof but the body is in crap condition. He wants $3K for it. I think its a good deal b/c of the solid front axels and the new engine. Anyone know about these engines?

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know about these engines?

The guys down in the basement know all about the 6.9/7.3 IDI's.

Go visit with them HERE.

MHO is 3K is plenty to ask for an 86 model that is rotted out.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
What a bunch of whining, candy ass, SD drivin', cry babies.:cry: Whaaaaa my OBS truck rode too rough...:cry: WHAAAAAA it shook my coffee cup,:cry: Whaaaa it didn't have 8 way power seats.:cry: Whaaaaa, I had to move the mirrors by hand. :cry: WHAAAAAAA I had to be removed from the cab on a strecher. :cry: WHAAAAAAAAA

What ever happened to men being men :rolleyes: sheeesh

:sorry: guys I had to do it ;Poke :rotflmao :rotflmao :rotflmao

BTW I've been looking at shackle reverse kits :D

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
nope, for now i'll stick with my EGR-free, head gasket and turbo preserving, fuel swilling, $.01 glow plug using, slow 7.3. :cheers::smoke::bailcookoo:cool

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ummm Nope LOL

I think I'll go for a ride and open my vent window LOL

Naw....... I think I'll just go set the parking brake, let it automaticly kick into high idle to warm up while I adjust BOTH 8 way power seats and let the telescoping heated power mirrors warm up to clear the fog off them while I crack ALL 4 power windows and have a smoke while listening to the factory in dash CD player.....

Might go ahead and answer a few messages, make a few voice dialed calls using my blue tooth headset, surf the net with the laptop tethered and check my location with the Telenav voice prompted GPS on my Blackberry Curve mounted on the dash too if I can't find enough factory toys and buttons to play with in the truck.;p Hi-tech RedneckLOL

I'll go enjoy the factory 325 HP and 570 ft lbs of torque tomorrow when I take Mama to Wally World.:peelout