1994 F250 IDI WILL IDLE BUT NOT RUN DOWN THE ROAD

Jaredkeller96

Reaction score
i have a 1994 f250 idi turbo, and it will sit and idle all day long but i go to drive it and itll shut off, fuel filter light comes on and shuts down, we put a new fuel filter in it, new lift pump, injector o-rings, and lines, it still wont run down the road, od light comes on also

Please help

7.3 powerstrok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might check the lines on the tank valve ,if you have them incorrect it will enought fuel to idle but thats it ,and will also prompt the fuel filter light on ...od light flashing thats telling you something failed to send the correct signal to the pcm ,try disconnect the batterys for a few minutes then reconnect them ,if the od light still flashes will see ??by the way the fuel lines on the tank valve are connected is the two on the bottom connect to the fuel pump&return from engine .......top two are feed & return from rear tank & and back two are front tank feed & return also these valves can get pluged up and can be very difficult to cleaned out keep us posted

smokinpipes

Navistar Nut
Reaction score
Also, I would verify they you are getting enough fuel to the filter... with engine running, (not sure of the 94 does or not) but there is a Schrader valve that should have fuel coming out when pressed in (and running). If not you have a restriction feeding the fuel filter. Next check to verify that the filter isn't plugged (again)
Yes I read you changed your filter, but I've gotten slugs of garbage in fuel before, changed a filter, bleed it out only to find the new filter is plugged up too.
A quick and dirty way to see if the filter is restricting flow is again with the engine running, using pliers or vise grips, pinch the bypass hose on the filter housing and then pull it off the filter housing ... if fuel comes out its not restricted. Now rev the engine a little it should still flow steadily. If it does not, slows down, or stops all together.. your filter is plugged (assuming you checked that the supply if fuel to the filter is flowing well)

All else fails, check that the fuel return to the IP is NOT restricted. If it is, it will allow a truck to idle, but not anything more. The slightest restriction will have drastic consequences.

Good luck mate!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes these engines will run with a bad fuel lift pump because the injection pumps have a very small internal pump. But they wont run very well either like that. The mechanical lift pump is located below the vacuum pump on the front passenger side of the engine block. The cost around 25 bucks. Hard part of the install is the rear bolt access and getting the arm under the cam lobe. To test is the pump is shot check the oil level. If its been gaining and the oil smells like diesel then you pump is shot. The flow test is to remove the internal valve on the filter head called the schrader valve. This is the tire valve core looking thing. Remove the internal part of it. Connect a line to a can and start the engine. Good flow of about 1 pt in 30 seconds is neded.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just posted my problem, and I must say I believe I have come to the right place asking for help, I have already been educated reading this post. I hope you find your problem and its an easy fix

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW