1994 7.3 E4OD torque converter slipping diagnostics

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so my 94 with the E4OD is getting the code for torque converter slippage, and you can physically tell it's slipping, as in locking and unlocking. However, I'm not completely convinced the torque converter is actually bad. I really think it's electronic in nature, but that could be wishful thinking.
What I'm specifically seeking is a way to do a, preferably, cheap/ free and temporary way to rig it to manually lock up. Does anyone know of ways to do a manual lock up like that?
I'm thinking if I can manually lock the torque converter and it still disengages then it would actually be a physical problem with the converter itself.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Usually when the clutch slips you will get a shudder.

Have you checked the TPS settings. This will make the converter lock and unlock randomly.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have. I've replaced and rest the FPIL.
I would say it shuddered. Maybe it's not slipping so much as locking / unlocking. I suppose there would be a difference.

Last edited:

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anything causing the brake lights to come on will unlock the convert.
I've run across that information before. The truck did have a janky trailer light hook up ran that I pulled out. Turned out the light switch was burned out and I replaced that. I have wondered if there could be more going on there.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the IDI Tech Articles. There is 3 different circuits there for TC lockup.

If you would install any of the three, make sure you unlock the TC at 30 MPH, raises hell with the trans below that.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I have the solenoid harness repair pigtail, which I've had for some time, and I've think I'll put that in. I can use this opportunity to do the TC control mods.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The story with this truck is in trying to sell it but everyone drops out when the tranny issues come up. So, I want to try and fix it without spending anymore money on it.