1993 Ford F-Super Duty XLT - "Log Truck" (new to me truck-pic heavy)

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
LCAM,
the hole i drilled in the firewall in the f250 for the capillary tube,for the mechanical auto meter temp gauge is approx 8" directly below the master cylinder.

well not a whole lot done to her today,but i did give her a coolant flush with upper and lower hoses.
hey,you know when you buy a lower hose,you have to transfer over your old spring? well the one i bought at carquest had the spring in it.thought that was good.forget what the brand name was,but i see their made in usa.another odd bonus these days.anyway,now she's sporting fresh fleetcharge w/ sca and i don't have to worry about being left beside the road with a blown hose while hauling some wood.;Sweet

Attachments

• 46coolant.jpg
    46coolant.jpg
    951.2 KB · Views: 205

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
today on log truck (not much today,the pats are playing you know. ;) ) log truck looses it's balls!!! and gets a little brighter.............

so i went to swap out the 2 5/16 tow ball for the same 2" curt ball (all my stuff uses a 2'') i put on chip truck but,the dang shank is too small for it on log truck....come on man lol.so i'll need a different 2" ball with a skinnier shank.kinda too bad cus the curt 2" has a nice 10k lb rating.ah well.

so i looked at my to do list for something to fill in some time before the ball game,and it arrived via e-bay.the updated interior light from later 90's cars and trucks.i got to cheat too,i had to get out the meter and figure out what it took do to,to convert it over to make the light and map lights work (though they don't point correctly anyway) in chip truck,so i simply dropped it down to see what i did and just copied.
this is one of those upgrades you do to the truck and wish you did way sooner cus you can't see crap with those worthless yellowed lens old school 80's left over pieces lol.so now when i open the door at night,the cab is actually lit up bright,clear and white.;Sweet

edit;
my bad,i meant the new replacement ball is the one that has the larger shank so it wont fit the smaller hole in the receiver (odd i know.i didn't expect that.)

Attachments

• 47ballswap.jpg
    47ballswap.jpg
    890.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    559.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 49.jpg
    49.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 50.jpg
    50.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 51.jpg
    51.jpg
    727.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can also change out the main bulbs. My 94 doesn't have the map lights, just the single bulb.

I put in the 921 silver Star bulb, world of difference. Lights up the whole cab now.
It's the same bulb as the high mount stop/cargo lights.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year model car did you swipe this light from? Looks liKe a good mod to do. What wiring did you have to change also? I smell a quick tech article.....

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year model car did you swipe this light from? Looks liKe a good mod to do. What wiring did you have to change also? I smell a quick tech article.....

just search ebay for ford interior dome lights.this one here was used in pickups,mustangs,taurus etc.in the mid /late 90's range.
to install; pull the fuse for interior dome light.
simply remove the green wires wire clip and discard.next do as posted in the pic,wire on a short section of wire,and crimp on a spade type terminal under a short screw that fits as shown.
next place the light up where it goes (as shown in the installed pic.notice the map lights face upwards,not downwards) and screw in the two original long screws into the remaining open holes which are directly in line with each other.
as you'll notice the original lower screw will go right back into the black wires wire clip,and the other will now just screw into metal.
reinstall your 15a fuse again,and wala.she's on when you open the door nice and bright.like 5x what you had and white instead of tinted yellow lol! plus you have some silly aimed map lights that'll always work too with door open or closed.
very,very easy job.10 mins tops.you'll wish you did it way back on the first day you bought the truck.

oh yeah,you'll see there's a short screw where you need to place the long one.that'll go into the now upper blank spot (where the clip was originally,that you pulled out clipped off and tossed) this is the screw you remove not only for the that,but to place on the new wire spade or ring shown.almost forgot how i did it haha.should make sense when your doing it.likely sounds confusing right now,but thats cus our not looking at whats being done.
so with this,you'll be able to see what i mean when you do it.

the bulb style for these particular dome lights are 578
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
FORDF250HDXLT-Nice truck, you do great work. I had a question. Looks like you mounted the Carrier pump to the engine. What are your feelings about the durability of the pump and the vibrations of the diesel engine. I was thinking of mounting my Carrier pump to a bracket attached to the battery tray/fender, but your mounting seems easier and cleaner. Thanks,
John

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks 160k87F250.
thats a good question and a valid concern; the vibration.someone else may chime in (feel free anyone) but this particular e-pump is a solid state pump,so it can handle shock and vibration without worry.i mounted the same pump at the same location (a short bracket off the side of an alternator bolt) and it's been working great for a long while now and im sure it will for many more issue free years too.
these pumps are just the cats meow.their pro's over the competition are almost endless.be sure to check out Doug's group buy thread to pick one up for your truck.;Sweet
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?24142-Carrier-Pump-Group-Buy

p.s. haha you'll like this;
i even installed one on my industrial diesel wood chipper.talk about vibration.;)

Last edited:

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Thanks F250, I already have the Carrier pump from Doug, just haven't mounted it yet.

John

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck..........log truck turns movie theater!:D and rear view cam.

PIPEVISION Overhead Monitor w/DVD #VFDD-T701 & BOYO #VTK-350 Rear-View Night Vision Camera w/Shielded 35' RCA Coaxial Cable.Wired For Full Time Rear View Use.

well it was cold out this morning and i really didn't want to be out there lol so i sat around in here sipping coffee and checking out the pintle hitch setups for my plan of attack.the excitement got the best of me though when the man in brown showed up with the rest of the goods to install my back up cam,so i bundled up with 6 or 7 layers and headed out lol.a few pics are in the dark,cus i just came in.
here is an exact replica of what i did to my f250,though with a much longer run of rca cable.;)
so i installed the overhead cam,and since i now had grounds and switched power right up in the pillar for the gauges,there was little wiring work.the major of the wiring was running the hd shielded rca cable waaaaaaaay out to the rear.run her up and wire tied to keep it all up nice and of course inward of everything so that should a zip tie fail,the stuff still can't fall to the ground and get ripped out.
i then mounted the cam above the hitch and can keep an eye on behind me when backing up,and of course it's great because i wire the thing on,not with reverse but switched power,so i can see behind me as if it's a rear view mirror.real handy when towing to keep an eye on the trailers.brings great piece of mind.
though i don't have time for such things as watching dvd's while im working haha,these units are just affordable as the combo,for around a hundred bucks or so,for the monitor,cable,and cam combined.a small price to pay to be able to see,and of course it could save a life someday too.
so tomorrow,i just need to connect the cables to the cam.i had to run out for some heat shrink.so with that,i'll shrink the rca connections.one rca plug goes to cam for pic of course and another for power/ground.i'll tap into the rear junction box right there to see if i can find switched power (let me think here,the battery charge wire i guess it will be) along with the ground and then that'll be that.

Attachments

• 52.jpg
    52.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    720.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 54.jpg
    54.jpg
    617.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 55.jpg
    55.jpg
    611.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    693.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    651 KB · Views: 30
  • 58.jpg
    58.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    519.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 61.jpg
    61.jpg
    596.5 KB · Views: 40

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sweet. I like that.
But think I'll get a flip out stereo deck with DVD and backup cam.

I see you have that invisashield windshield. Lol

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work on your new to you Truck....Now that I have my Motor Home project in the last little things stage. I'm really looking forward to a frame up Truck rebuild when I get settled in AZ.....

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
tonight on log truck.....................log truck gets new peepers! finished wiring up the cam,and a new washer fluid motor.

Depo Clear Corner,Bumper & Headlights

so continuing on with the rear view cam install.dialectic grease.heat shrink the rcs cables.then tapped.then wire tied.then wire loomed and another wire tie event for good measure.
you don't want corrosion in there at all.you don't want to loose power nor do you want your pic getting all fuzzy on ya.
i noticed there are two wires missing out back.the blue wire for brakes (po ran a devoted green wire for it from controller) and also no battery charge wire.
(i just tapped into the running lights in the junction box to test the cam install.) so most likely these got left behind during the frame lengthening years ago.
i'll be upgrading the pintle/ball combo,along with the rear tow plug to the same one i installed in my f250.the updated 7 prong w/4 prong combo.so i'll make sure both these lost wires get run out back from their original location at that time,then switch my cam power over to the correct terminal in the junction.

next,i figured id do an easy little repair and toss in a new washer fluid motor as she was toast.now the motor works at least but she's still not spraying,so i'll have to take the cowl off and inspect the hoses next.

next it was time to copy what i did with the f250 with some new headlights.out with the 20 yr old, dangerously tinted yellow lights and in with some new clear's.i was hoping to install some relays for them but these things always kick my tail and take me time to remove and install.just a hard tight setup.though well worth the effort of course as the beam will be a safe, clear, bright white now.
new chrome bezels as well,as those were showing their age.as was the grill.iv got the old one with the buttons on it for the winter cover from the f250,which is only slightly better shape lol.she'll need to be replaced some time down the road,after she gets painted.

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 63.jpg
    63.jpg
    721.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    632.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 65.jpg
    65.jpg